Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 35,967 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Texas in January. My husband will be working in Red Oak. We would like to rent while we explore the area. Don't mind a 30 minute commute... and wondered... can anyone suggest areas where we could find lofts? Love historic areas, big cities and small towns! Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 04:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Loft rentals are going to be almost exclusively in Downtown Dallas or the areas immediately surrounding it like the Cedars or Uptown. Since Red Oak would be a reverse commute, it should be do-able in about 30 minutes.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,118 times
Check out SouthSide on Lamar. I've heard that is quite the community so I checked it out on the web. I don't know what they rent for, but it has it's own city within that building...and it's huge from the highway.

I believe it is either in or really close to the arts district. It's off Lamar. I don't think the commute would be bad since someone above referred to a "reverse" commute. Traveling south in the morning and north in the evening is NOT bad.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Sure! There are lofts in the following areas:
Downtown Dallas & Farmer's Market area in downtown-> these will be your "urban pioneer" choices. There is a small, but growing contingent of people who live downtown. I have a few friends who have lived down there & they seem to know everyone!! Biggest con is lack of amenities. For being downtown, you'd still need to drive to the closest grocery store. These will be some of the best value/ most space for your money.

Deep Ellum & Exposition Park- directly east of downtown. Kind of Dallas' answer to NYC's East Village. Great 1920s warehouses & buildings that have been converted into lofts. Good value for money. Fair amount of independent restaurants, bars, and live music venues in walking distance. Lots of artists & musicians live there. Several high-profile crimes there about 4-5 years ago, but the area is less trendy now & is safer.

Uptown & West Village- several buildings have lofts. These will be brand new (or less than 10 years old) and also the most expensive. Yuppy area of Dallas where most young professionals live. Mix of "Dallas" blondes and obnoxious guys wearing tight Ed Hardy tshirts with more country club preppy (Lilly Pulitzer/ Tory Burch/ Polo/ Brooks Brothers) types, too. Least diverse option, both economically and racially. Tons of shopping, restaurants, bars, jogging trails, etc.

Design District- brand new buildings in transitional area. Lots of high end "to the trade" furniture & decor stores have been long established there, but the residential aspect is new, like 6 months old. Limited amenities but high future potential due to proximity to Uptown & Downtown.

North Oak Cliff/ Bishop Arts District- a company called Good Space rents some mixes use loft spaces that are cool. Good value. Closest to Red Oak b/c it's just southwest of downtown (south of I-30). Fun neighborhood. Most laid back (maybe tied with Deep Ellum). Lots of independent restaurants, some shops & bars. Immediate neighborhood is middle/ upper middle class. Lots of young couples, original residents, and prominent gays (ie, fashion director of Neiman Marcus). Neighboring areas are 90%+ Hispanic. Amenities (banks, grocery store, dry cleaners) are growing, but still on the limited side.

I highly recommend you nix above suggestion of Southside Lofts. The building is nice but the immediate neighborhood is ROUGH. Google "Lamar DART Station" and see how many murders & assaults happen every year on that corner, just a few blocks from Southside. Not safe.

I'd do a google search for whichever neighborhood(s) sounded like you & lots of choices should pop up. All are easily within 30 minutes of Red Oak.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 PM

264 posts, read 625,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I highly recommend you nix above suggestion of Southside Lofts. The building is nice but the immediate neighborhood is ROUGH. Google "Lamar DART Station" and see how many murders & assaults happen every year on that corner, just a few blocks from Southside. Not safe.
What is the big building across the street from Southside?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehighlands View Post
What is the big building across the street from Southside?
Well, the DPD headquarters is across the street. But there is a fairly new codo building that's opened.

The Beat Condomiums in Dallas, TX

Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 PM

264 posts, read 625,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
Are you talking about these?

The Beat Condomiums in Dallas, TX
No, it's behind those.

I was actually referring to Jack Evans Dallas Police Headquarters. The area is pretty safe.

Are you familiar with The Beat? I have a coworker that is interested in the building.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Quote:
No, it's behind those.

I was actually referring to Jack Evans Dallas Police Headquarters. The area is pretty safe.

Are you familiar with The Beat? I have a coworker that is interested in the building.
I've been to the Absinthe Lounge a few times and never felt unsafe. I can't really speak for the adjoining areas off of Lamar though.

I don't really know anything about those condos. I think they were having an auction at quite a discount for some a few months ago.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
No, it's behind those.

I agree that the Southside building and Loft/ Palladium complex across the street is safe. But it's not the kind of neighborhood where you can wake up on Saturday morning, take your dog on a 4 mile walk and then grab a cup of coffee on the way back home.

Just checked the Dallas PD's interactive crime map. Couldn't get 2009 stats to pull in, but for 2008 there were about 50 assaults, 50 personal robberies, and 5 murders in what I would consider the immediate vicinity (30/45/Industrial/Dart tracks).

And the neighborhood immediately south of the Dart tracks is most definitely a bad area. The assaults/ murders/ robberies are so prevalent that the pinpints are stacked on top of one another.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
But you can take your dog to: Lee Harvey's - 214-428-1555
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: