U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,227,570 times

Advertisements

Just to follow up with housing prices in 75093.

Off the ebby.com site, searching in ZIP code 75093

$2M+ : 12 listings
$1.5M - $2M: 13 listings
$800K - $1.5M: 33 listings
$500K - $800K: 75 listings
$300K - $500K: 78 listings
$200K - $300K: 36 listings
$150K- $200K: 28 listings
<$150K: 47 listings (most of these are typos or bare land; a few townhomes)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 PM

12,395 posts, read 23,780,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Just to follow up with housing prices in 75093.

Off the ebby.com site, searching in ZIP code 75093

$2M+ : 12 listings
$1.5M - $2M: 13 listings
$800K - $1.5M: 33 listings
$500K - $800K: 75 listings
$300K - $500K: 78 listings
$200K - $300K: 36 listings
$150K- $200K: 28 listings
<$150K: 47 listings (most of these are typos or bare land; a few townhomes)
Thanks for the follow-up. I checked ebby, too, and about 30 of the 47 least expensive listings were leases (listed at the monthly rate).

The median asking price of all current listings was $499,900.

I think I'm unclear of how far east of Preston the PWSH border is, as that's where most of the sub-$500k listings seem to be. My fault for the incomplete info!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM

With 2 small exceptions, all of 75093 (which extends east to Coit Rd.) attends Plano West.

With the recent boundary changes, the Plano West area was substantially extended in the far northern part of Plano. This new area has houses in the $250K-$400K range. Houses as far away as Custer/McDermott now feed to Plano West.

Finally, many people do not realize that Plano ISD territory extends into Dallas as far as Midway and Frankford, and even a bit south of that. You don't have to live in 75093 to be in the Plano West area.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,519,759 times
Is the western boundary of PWHS the Denton/Collin county line and then beyond that is city of Plano, Denton County, and, what, Carrollton-Farmers Branch school district?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 PM

The Collin County line forms both the western and southern boundaries of Plano ISD.

As for the Denton County portions of the City of Plano, I believe that is all Lewisville ISD, feeding to Hebron High.

Last edited by Big G; 01-17-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 AM

856 posts, read 2,059,575 times
For what it's worth, people can be in 75024 & 75025 and be in Frisco ISD. Personally, I would be happier with some of those Plano schools in Lewisville ISD & Frisco ISD over certain Plano ISD schools (in West Plano), but different people have differing criteria on what's important to them.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,513,622 times
Thanks everyone for your comments! I really appreciate it.

Well, when I say "affordable" I'm comparing the cost per sq. foot for a nice 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house with yard. We really prefer California but when you look at the cost of a nice house in a nice area, even with the drastic price plunges it is still fairly expensive there and I believe prices will continue to fall there.

I'm looking on realtor.com and I see several nice properties that are in the $275,000 range. Personally I'd probably do a bit of renovations putting in hard wood flooring in some rooms, crown molding, high end lighting, painting and decorating professionally. You are still talking about the $350,000 range for a nice home. Sure, you can spend upwards of $1 million + if you wanted to but it's not necessary and not really our goal. I took a look at the Park Cities and I realize that the schools there are excellent but I believe property prices will continue falling there. And property taxes are very high.

I'm debating whether I will even work full time again. For background information I am in my mid 30's and have two young kids that are both under 2 years old. We don't need a mortgage and I plan to purchase the home with cash/savings. We have no debt and we own several properties with all the mortgages paid off so I can easily live off the rental income if I wanted to. We make six figures net income each year on rental income.

We have no debt whatsoever and plenty of savings. A pity that savings accounts aren't paying more than 1.5% right now but that will change in the future.

So basically we are looking for an area where we can have a good quality of life, where the schools for our children are excellent, a safe environment. I can work out of my home as I do consulting and if I want to work I can do that.

Plano seems like a good option. Yeah, the property taxes are very high but the cost of living is fairly low. I'm trying to put together a spreadsheet of monthly expenses and it seems like living a fairly decent life in Plano with no mortgage payment but with property insurance, utilities (including electricity/gas/water/telephone/cable/high speed internet/ blackberry and cellphone), food, car insurance (no car payments as we own cars with no payments), health insurance, life insurance, property taxes, auto fuel, tolltag (driving down to Dallas on the tollway), groceries/dining out, dry cleaning, health club, going out to movies, various housing expense stuff at Target we will spend about $5,000 a month. Does that sound right?

Am I missing any major expenses?

I realize that we'll have various expenses once the kids start school but we might stay in the house for 3 years and then move to California as I'm sure home prices there will have sunk more by then.

Based on this does Plano seem like the best option? I realize Dallas is fairly boring with no mountains, it's flat and it's not that beautiful but we travel around quite a bit for leisure. That's our biggest expense. Traveling. We also own several properties in different countries that we can visit and not have to pay anything to stay in our properties.

Most likely I will work as I can't see myself not working again. My goal was to be able to retire by the time I hit 40 and I'm a few years early. But I'm not sure I could just stay at home and not work. I'm a bit of a workaholic.

CompSiguy - I appreciate your comment. Why specifically would you prefer Frisco ISD over Plano? Any specific reason? I am fairly familiar with Dallas as I've been there many times for work. I explored that area quite a bit and went out to Frisco many times to that big shopping mall there. I didn't look at any homes but it seems pretty far out there. But I guess with the tollway it's fairly easy.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 01-22-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM

12,395 posts, read 23,780,206 times
After reading more info about you, my honest advice is to skip Dallas and look for another lower COL place. You mentioned loving California, mountains, ocean, scenery, nature, etc a ton in your post. Now I love Dallas and can't imagine living anywhere else (except maybe Manhattan again), I was just in California last month and I always marvel at the beauty there- mountains, desert, ocean. We have NOTHING like that here in Texas- nothing!!! Not White Rock Lake, not Big Bend, or even the Hill Country.

If living somewhere beautiful where you can spend a Saturday hiking or moutain biking through God's creation is even fairly important to you, I'd look into places like Denver, Charlotte, Atlanta, Charlottesville VA, Nashville, etc before I spent 5 minutes considering Dallas.

Do not move here simply for low COL. There have been several other posters on the forum this year who made the same move from Cali and they hate it here. They have to stay for now due to jobs, but if you can live anywhere and live on your rental incomes, you should probably check into Denver or Atlanta first. Just MHO.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:03 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,513,622 times
Turtlecreek,

Thanks so much for that helpful advice. Yes, we haven't decided yet. We aren't moving until next year. We are going to visit a lot of places before we move next year. Yes, we do like beautiful cities and scenary and I realize that Dallas doesn't offer that. I actually lived in Dallas many years ago so I do understand the make up of the city.

Having kids for me is totally new and I still think that at least until they start school, Plano could be a good option. I think ultimately we probably will end up in California but nice places are expensive to buy and even beautiful places to rent are quite high. We hate debt and prefer to purchase a home with no mortgage and that is tough in California in many nice areas. I also believe that home prices aren't done falling there so I figured I could ride things out in Plano for a few years while prices fall more.

I don't like Atlanta, Nashville or Charlotte but I'd consider Denver. I'll have to visit there with my wife. I've been there many times but my wife has never been to Denver.

But you make good points Turtlecreek80 which makes me think more. When I was living in Dallas many years ago I was a bachelor and making tons of money. It was very easy to meet people there but I didn't really like it. I stayed there because that's where I worked. But now with kids, things are totally different and I think that at least for 3 years it would be a good place to settle down until I see where we really want to live. Early retirement in theory sounds good but it's still a little scary to think about because you never know if you will have enough. Having kids for me is something totally new and even saving a ton for their University I still worry if it will be enough. We also live a very high style life and do a lot of traveling around the world but that will obviously be cut down drastically once we move and I cut down on working.

Dallas is a different world from California and I realize that. But I think it's a decent and safe place and the COL is low but also the quality of life is fairly good there if you have money. I think your idea of Denver is very good and will add it to our list of cities to visit.

Thanks for the good objective advice.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,611,811 times
You might want to consider Murphy - west side of Murphy Rd (FM 2551) is Plano ISD. It was one of the fastest growing cities until the housing slowdown. Over half the homes didn't exist 10 years ago. Rolling Ridge and Hunters Landing both still have area to build out and feed into Hunt Elementary which is a great elementary. You get the good schools of PISD, good home value for your money, great neighbors (and a lot from elsewhere) and close to anything you might need to get to. ZIP is 75094 (which also encompasses a bit of Parker and Far East Plano).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or