Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 19,358 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm 27 and moving to Dallas from Boston this summer for a job opportunity. Prior to Boston I lived in NYC and am accustomed to walking to most things. I realize this is not possible but would love to live in a diverse/multi-cultural area where I can walk to a grocery store, cafe and lounge. I'll be working near DFW and would like to keep the commute as short as possible. Also I have business interests in West Plano and the Park Cities so a place central those areas would be ideal. I can spend up to $1300 on rent but would prefer to spend less as I plan to buy a home in the next year.

I've seen some great suggestions on here and am hoping you all have some ideas for me.
THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
If you're a young professional female, there's only one place you need to look-> the area directly north of downtown Dallas that runs north to Mockingbird Lane. The area is generally called Uptown, but it encompasses the neighborhoods of State Thomas, the West Village, Knox-Henderson, Turtle Creek, and Oak Lawn. The "M" Streets are directly east of 75 Central from the northernmost border of Uptown and should also be included in your search.

These are the most vibrant, urban parts of the city where a very large concentration of young professionals live. There are a ton of shopping, restaurant, and bars within walking distance or a short 5 min drive of any apartment in the area. There are also severral big parks with tennis courts, an awesome jogging trail (Katy Trail), and you'd be within a mile or two of all the major arts venues- and close to independent theatres & galleries, too.

As for commute, you would have a reverse commute to any of your three offices. Uptown to DFW (guessing Las Colinas??) is about 15-30 minutes, depending on what time you leave. Uptown to the Park Cities is 1-15 minutes of non-highway driving, depending on exactly where you're going there. Uptown to West Plano (Parker exit) is about 15-20 minutes.

People will suggest you look at Addison or Las Colinas itself, but take it from someone else who lived in NYC, you'd be bored to tears there after a week. And you'd be driving into Uptown/ Downtown most nights to go out anyways.

There are lots of organizations that cater to young professional networking- everything from the DMA's Junior Associates Circle to Young Texans Against Cancer, the Junior League, kickball and soccer leagues, and countless professional orgs (Dallas Young Lawyers, etc). Plus, wherever you went to college- no matter how far from Dallas- there will be an active alumni group here to check out.

You should have no trouble finding a nice 1br in the $900-1100 range in the areas I suggested. Check out zips 75204, 75206, 75205 (the southeastern edge that is not zoned to Highland Park ISD has lots of apartments & condos/ townhomes for rent), and 75219.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
As another former NYC resident, I agree with the above post that says you might be bored to death outside of the areas mentioned. One area that I might also add to the list would be Downtown Dallas. There are some really cool old office buildings that have been converted to residential uses in Downtown. The Mercantile Complex Luxury Apartments in Metropolitan Dallas TX is my current favorite, but there are numerous other options. But, the most heavily populated walkable 'hood in Dallas would be Uptown, specifically the West Village West Village part of Uptown. Don't expect a lot of ethnic diversity in Downtown or Uptown though.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Don't expect a lot of ethnic diversity in Downtown or Uptown though.
Actually, I used to think this too, until I started reading this forum and began to pay more attetion to my surroundings in Uptown. It's definitely well over 50% white, but I am generally surprised by how many blacks, Asians, Indians, and Hispanics I see when out in Uptown, as well as the amount of foreign languages being spoken. Not like NYC, but way more than my "traditional" view of Dallas.

Heck- just within my larger group of 50-70 friends, there are Chinese, Pacific Islander, Indian, British, French, Black, Polish, Mexican, Jewish, Christian, lesbian, gay, straight, white, etc. Being a whit female Christian Republican native Dallasite, I am definitely in the minority for my group and I meet all of the stereotypical "Dallas" criteria.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Actually, I used to think this too, until I started reading this forum and began to pay more attetion to my surroundings in Uptown. It's definitely well over 50% white, but I am generally surprised by how many blacks, Asians, Indians, and Hispanics I see when out in Uptown, as well as the amount of foreign languages being spoken. Not like NYC, but way more than my "traditional" view of Dallas.
That's good to hear. I'll be extra observant next time I'm out in Uptown.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Since the OP said she will be working near DFW and wants to keep her commute short, I will recommend Las Colinas. Those other areas have everything else she is looking for except that they will be a fairly long commute to DFW. I'll disagree about Uptown to DFW being a reverse commute. Traffic westbound on 114 in the mornings is MUCH heavier heading to the airport than away from it!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Since the OP said she will be working near DFW and wants to keep her commute short, I will recommend Las Colinas. Those other areas have everything else she is looking for except that they will be a fairly long commute to DFW. I'll disagree about Uptown to DFW being a reverse commute. Traffic westbound on 114 in the mornings is MUCH heavier heading to the airport than away from it!
I fly out of DFW 1-2 times a month and it rarely takes me more than 20-25 minutes to get from I-35 & Oak Lawn to the South Entrance. This is leaving my house between 7-7:45am.

It slows down a little at the 183 divide, but then it's smooth sailing on 114.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Hey All,
Thanks so much for your help. I'll focus my search on the uptown/downtown area and the M Streets. Does anyone live in Oaklawn, M Streets or Turtle Creek? Can you tell me the difference between these areas?
Again I appreciate of the information you have offered and the quick response.
Best!
Bunn

Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Also thanks for the note on Las Colinas but I stayed there for a bit this summer and like the other poster mentioned was a bit stir-crazy

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 AM

I live on Turtle Creek. To generalize each area:

M Streets is the most solidly residential area of the bunch. It is almost all single-family homes (tons of Tudors built in the 1930s, mixed in with some new construction and 1920's Craftsman bungalows), but you can find duplexes and a few smaller apartment buildings, too. Lots of young singles, young families (due to good local elementary schools), and empty nesters. Very quiet area except for the streets closest to 75 Central Expy and Greenville Ave. Greenville cuts through the neighborhood from north to south and is packed with restaurants (almost all locally owned), bars, and live music venues. The big St Patty's Day Parade runs up Greenville. More laid-back vibe than being in the center of Uptown.

Oak Lawn has two parts- North Oak Lawn (north of Lemmon Ave to the south tip of Highland Park) and Oak Lawn (south of Lemmon to 35). Oak Lawn is Dallas' biggest "gayborhood" and the area south of Cedar Springs is sketchy (drugs, lower income area, & more crime). North Oak Lawn is a great location and is filled with tons of duplexes built in the 1940s that are well-maintained and have good rental rates. Whole Foods and Eatzi's (yummy take-out grocery store) are very close by, and Uptown is only a 5 min drive away. Least walkable area, but most diverse and best rental values.

Turtle Creek is a beautiful tree & park-lined boulevard lined with high rises and mid-rises. You can find rental listings on Craig's List easily. All the buildings have doormen, most have valet/conceirge and swimming pools and/or tennis courts. I work a lot and travel a lot, so I love being in a secure doorman building & I love my downtown view from my balcony! I can walk to the West Village in about 7 minutes (3 blocks away), and it takes me 3-4 minutes to get to the Tollroad for my morning commute. I also love being a block from the Katy Trail and being able to walk along Turtle Creek. Neighbors are about 1/3 gay, 1/3 old people, and 1/3 young singles & couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas