Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 PM

17 posts, read 54,050 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Plano from Michigan and am curious about the Dart Rail system. It sounds like a great way to get downtown, but a few of the posts I've read on this forum have me a little worried about using it. I have family coming to visit with small children and I have a 6 month-old myself, and we'd like to take the Dart to the museum and the aquarium. I looked at the map and it seems like it's be a pretty easy trip, but I wanted to get some advice and some first-hand impressions before I take my brother and his family on it. Coming from Michigan, the only rail system we're used to is the People Mover in Detroit, which was nicknamed the "Mugger Mover." I'd appreciate some advice! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Don't worry about it. DART is safe, even in south Dallas (not so in the neighborhood outside the station). My kids love riding the train.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 AM

83 posts, read 210,950 times
My wife and I have been to Dallas twice already. We rode the DART system on the second visit and found it clean and safe. Don't worry...

From what I have read, DART is one of the most modern light rail systems in North America and is growing quickly.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
Dart rail is a great option to making the drive. Beware, during rush hour it may be packed with business commuters. And just a heads up, the museum does have ample underground parking and there is surface parking very near to the aquarium.

I mention the parking in the event you may want to visit the Texas Longhorn Cattle Drive Sculpture (http://www.uncommondays.com/states/tx/places/cattledrive.htm - broken link) on the east side of downtown.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times
They could take the Dart Train to the Convention Center stop and walk toward downtown a block and find the Cattle Drive Sculpture.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM

326 posts, read 962,030 times
DART is clean and safe, and walking around downtown should be a fun adventure (especially on a nice day)! Driving downtown and finding parking can be a hassle, while DART is more convenient.

Sometimes the chronically homeless at West End Station prey on tourists by selling fake DART tickets, but you can make yourself aware of how the machines work up in Plano. Panhandling is ILLEGAL on DART platforms, so don't feel pressured to give ANYONE money if they are begging. As a resident of downtown I'm used to ignoring it, but sometimes it catches visitors off guard. For your reference:

CHAPTER 31 of the Dallas City Code OFFENSES
Solicitation by coercion; solicitation near designated locations and facilities; solicitation anywhere in the city after sunset and before sunrise any day of the week. (Sunset means the time of day published on the weather page of the Dallas Morning News as the time for sunset on a particular day in the city and sunrise means the time of day published on the weather page of the Dallas Morning News as the time for sunrise on a particular day in the city)

A person commits an offense if he conducts a solicitation to any person placing or preparing to place money in a parking meter. The ordinance specifically applies to solicitations at anytime within 25 feet of:
Automatic teller machines;
Exterior public pay phones;
Public transportation stops;
Self service car washes;
Self service gas pumps;
An entrance or exit of a bank, credit union or similar financial institution;
Outdoor dining areas of fixed food establishments

Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 54,050 times
Thank you so much for all of your input. Does anyone know which station would be the closest to the Dallas Museum of Art?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times
St Paul is closest - walk a couple of blocks northwest up St Paul to Ross.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM

326 posts, read 962,030 times
St Paul Station. Then walk about 3 blocks north to Ross either along St Paul or Harwood. If you want to explore or find a place for lunch, you can take the free historic M-Line streetcar that loops through Uptown and departs from St Paul/Ross (it's a fun ride, and also stops at Cityplace Station). Or if you'd rather see the new AT&T Performing Arts Center, walk along Flora from the entrance of the DMA. Ross Ave. connects the aquarium and Arts District.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,861 times
I live in Richardson and want to use the DART to visit downtown. Can someone tell me which is the nearest station? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas