U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 PM

59 posts, read 120,556 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Even though I've lived in DFW my entire life - I had no idea there were so many different parts of Downtown/Uptown Dallas. Hasn't really affected me much, except now that I'm looking into buying a condo.

Does anyone know of a good map that divides out all the neighborhoods?

Some background -
- soon to be married
- age 26, his age 29.
- Want to (finally) get out of the suburbs
- Would love to be close to young professional night life, restaurants/bars
- plan to live here about 7-10 years.
- willing to live in an area that may not be the best now, but is growing.
- prefer 3 beds...can do 2.
- hardwood floors and view is a must. Deck would be great.
- less than 300k
- want low hoa

Here's where I've found the most bang for my buck (I have NO idea what this neighborhood is....Can someone tell me what its like safety wise/growth wise?)

In between Lemmon/Ross Ave and Live Oak , and Hall and Peak St.

Any input on this neighborhood or others I should look into would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 AM

175 posts, read 459,941 times
With Condos you need to not only consider your monthly HOA fees but also assessments. Condos in Dallas traditionally have not done so well as compared to markets such as NYC, Chicago, DC etc..
I personally like the Crest Park which is on Lomo Alto. Some of the units are in DISD, some units fall within the HPISD.
I like the location personally I just don't know what is available there right now in your price range. Of course Turtle Creek comes to mind but you have a lot of older properties. The La Tour on McKinney Ave is also nice.
Before I buy I would really investigate the risks of buying a condo in the DFW area personally. You need to also consider how many units in your building can be rental versus owner occupied.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Katefrisco - thanks so much for your input.

You're absolutley right - I have a lot of research left to do, and I really appreciate your thoughts!

One clarification - I'm not looking into living in a high-rise. I prefer a 'town home' style condo instead (the ones that are 3 stories usually?).

Currently I'm having trouble getting my head around what the different neighborhoods of Dallas are - ah!

Do you know what this area of Dallas is?
In between Lemmon/Ross Ave and Live Oak , and Hall and Peak St.

Thanks!
Amber

Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 AM

6,578 posts, read 24,433,964 times
Is that area called Bryan Place? I don't know. I'm just guessing.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM

FarNorthDallas - maybe!...

Oh, and Thanks so much for your stats on your other posts. Maybe I should just stay in Bedford!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM

4,603 posts, read 7,866,743 times
It may be referred to as Bryan Place, or the Swiss area or Baylor Med. I don't think there's a whole lot of people referring to it at all unless they're intimately involved with the area. I suspect Lakewooder would have the most accurate detail on the area, considering his in depth knowledge of Dallas and proximity to that area.

You can probly find condos and townhomes there. I believe the area is going through some redevelopment, really just depends on the street and your goals. You might do some looking along Lemmon/Peak in a westerly direction, especially on the west side of US75. You'll find plenty of townhomes and condos there.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM

" don't think there's a whole lot of people referring to it at all unless they're intimately involved with the area."

WillysB - Lol you crack me up.

I have found condos/townhomes there, which is why I'm asking about the area. They're the best I've found for my budget. And I'm thinking there's gotta be a reason they're more bang for the buck...

Is it a bad area?

Lakewooder where are ya...?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:36 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,350,097 times
I'm guessing that you are referring to some of the newer condos/townhomes along streets like Live Oak, Washington, Ross, Peak & San Jacinto (all near Exall Park). Bryan Place is a portion of that area, but I think it is generally referred to as E. Dallas. There's nothing wrong with the area, it's just that much of it is still transitioning and gentrifying. That's as compared to Uptown on the other side of 75. The land in Uptown is much more expensive, so developers started building on the east side of the freeway about 10 years ago.

Beware of all the foreclosures of townhomes/condos all over Dallas. All that glitters is not gold. You don't want to buy into a complex that is full of foreclosures or occupied mostly by tenants. If you do, you could end up owning it for a lot longer than you intended. The condo/townhome market has taken a MUCH bigger hit during the recession than single family homes. You might also check out some of the nice resale or new construction properties in N. Oak Lawn. That would be north of Lemmon Ave. and west of Oak Lawn Blvd. up to the Highland Park border. The area has been going upscale for years and it's a very stable area in which to invest. $300k for a new constrcution 2BR is do-able there. Many older properties would be somewhat lower.

The good news for the market is that there is very little new construction of condos/townhomes going on right now, so the abundance of properties is being whittled down. That is stabilizing pricing. Most developers have already reduced their prices substantially. Now is a good time to be a buyer as most of the developers holding these types of properties (or the banks that now own them) just want out from under the burden of carrying these properties. Prices are pretty good right now. Interest rates are great too. Since you are not totally familiar with the many areas of Central Dallas in which you can find townhomes/condos, I suggest that you involve a really good Realtor in your search. A knowledgeable Realtor can ultimately save you lots of money.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,027,723 times
If I were you I would stay West of the expressway. After you pass that Target store on Lemmon and the freeway and start going east, it gets pretty bad. Go just a little further North on Ross and that whole area looks real bad to me last time I was around there. It was a heavily populated area with latinos.

If you're looking for the young professional crowd near bars, you WILL have to pay for it. Most places in Oak Lawn are much better for your tastes. I just wasn't feeling a good vibe in the area you are looking at.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Dallas Native - Great advice, thanks so much. Those were exactly the condo's I was referring to. I guess I have to stop focusing on the aesthitic "gold" of the place so much and really look into the location. You can't change location, but you can always change what the inside of your place looks like.

Noodles - great insight as well. I'm going to go look at about 10 properties there on Saturday an I'll be paying close attention to the things you pointed out. I'll also be looking at some in North Oaklawn so I'll see how that goes.

Ah! So much to consider - but each of you is such a great help! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas