Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM

12 posts, read 30,583 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Dallas (near Irving area) from NJ this year.

Does anyone have any experience buying homes in Irving (i.e GRAFF HOMES) - How is the neighboorhood and anything else that would be useful to know or if you have any suggestions which other areas are preferred?

Has anyone bought a house within past year and if so, any advice for the First Time Homebuyers?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 AM

59 posts, read 130,509 times
Hi, just wondering - why Irving?
I'm guessing that's where your job maybe located there...but Irving is not a bad drive from many *nicer* suburbs...

One important thing to know about Irving is that it's divided into 2 distinct areas. North and South. (Take a look at the address for your company building, I am sure they point out its NORTH O'Connor, or NORTH MacArthur) North is referred to as "Las Colinas"...its definitley a nice area of town..and anything in North Irving is a lot more expensive than anything in South Irving - which some may call "ghetto".

What is your price range?
Are you looking for a single family home?
Looking for a suburban or urban feel?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
More specifics please. And what Bambee is saying is true but there are some decent areas of S Irving also. I would say the big difference is in Las Colinas and Valley Ranch you get a newer feel. And in South Irving you get a more established older feel, smaller homes, etc.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Thank you for your replies.

My husband's work is in Las Colinas and we are looking for a newly constructed family home (4 bedrooms and approximately between 2400 - 2800 square feet) and our price range is around $250,000.

We briefly looked at Graff Farm houses is a new community (on South Beltline) in Irving, however, we are not sure how the neighbourhood is around that area? Is that part of the town considered "ghetto"? If so, are there any other areas we can look at around our price range?

We just looked at Irving since it is middle of everything (Dallas, Fort worth, etc). We are open to any other areas around Las Colinas our price range.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
jerseyrph, should someone respond to recommend the Graff Farms on South Belt Line then that would be good. Otherwise, you might want to consider following Belt Line in a northerly direction from the LasColinas-Hidden Ridge-MacArthur area. One just needs to exercise some caution when heading south in Irving.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Thank you All

Old 01-24-2010, 07:00 PM

How is Lewisville compared to Irving? What are the PROS and CONS for each (i.e property value, neighborhood, school district, etc)? Any suggestions???

Old 01-24-2010, 07:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
The Lewisville school district (ISD) is better than the Irving ISD, but not all of Irving is zoned into the Irving ISD.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times
Hello,

I recently bought a home in South Irving after renting an apartment in the Valley Ranch area. Speaking from experience of living in the southern part, I will say that south Irving gets a bad rap on this forum from folks who just assume that "all" of Irving south of 183 is "ghetto", that couldn't be further from the truth. Frankly, I enjoy the older, more established homes and abundance of trees compared to the Las Colinas/VR area IMO. I live about 1.5 miles east of Graff Farms and that particular subdivision as well as the ones around it are nice. Just like any other older area of town, there are places that are more run down than others, but I think most people would be pleasantly surprised when they travel to this area. Since you mentioned that you are also a first-time home buyer, keep in mind that the $8,000 tax credit is still available.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM

59 posts, read 130,509 times
Check out Coppell, Flower Mound, Grapevine as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas