Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i said most texans i know. it depends on where in the state you are as to how popular it is. but whataburger isnt really popular with blacks anyway
Who died and left you in charge of all what the blacks in Texas like and prefer? You certainly don't speak for all 1.8 Million of them, and certainly not for the Black Texans I know that love Whataburger. You really must not know a lot of people.

Quote:
its called being frugal. if i'm paying more than $5 for one meal, it needs to be something of quality, not fast food junk. especially when i can go over to mcdonalds and get a full, better tasting meal
off the dollar menu for that $3 i wouldve spent on one sandwich at whataburger
LOL. A more fulfilling meal at McDonalds than at Whataburger. Hilarious. That's not even a matter of taste or personal preference. The burgers at Whataburger, on average tend to be much larger than that burgers from McDonalds. The only substantial burger at McD's that could compare in size is the Quarter-Pounder, and I'm being generous.

I think that you get a lot more "bang for your buck" at Whataburger than you would at say, Arbys. Now if you said Burger King, I'd be a bit more inclined to agree. A little.

And there was no need to insult LANative and his spending habits. Buying fast food is a national thing and not limited to certain states. And what is more "Texan" than going to a Whataburger for your burger fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Who died and left you in charge of all what the blacks in Texas like and prefer? You certainly don't speak for all 1.8 Million of them, and certainly not for the Black Texans I know that love Whataburger. You really must not know a lot of people.
so now i dont know a lot of people because a majority of (but not all) the people i know dont eat whataburger? and the statement about whataburger not being popular with black texans was obviously speaking in general. i did not say all black folks dont eat there

the fact is, in texas the majority of people who eat regularly at whataburger are usually white texans. and dont you live in atlanta? considering ive been black all my life and have lived in texas for 20+ years, you MIGHT want to allow the possibility that i know just a little more about this subject than you do

Quote:
LOL. A more fulfilling meal at McDonalds than at Whataburger. Hilarious. That's not even a matter of taste or personal preference. The burgers at Whataburger, on average tend to be much larger than that burgers from McDonalds. The only substantial burger at McD's that could compare in size is the Quarter-Pounder, and I'm being generous.
youre reading way too much into it. as someone who doesnt eat fast food extremely often (and as one who finds whataburger very overrated), paying as much as you do for a meal at that establishment simply isnt worth it to me when i can be more satisfied, for less money, elsewhere. thats my opinion, and i cant help if you disagree with it

and who said anything about the burgers having to be large?

Quote:
I think that you get a lot more "bang for your buck" at Whataburger than you would at say, Arbys. Now if you said Burger King, I'd be a bit more inclined to agree. A little.
well lucky for me, i dont need your approval on my opinions

Quote:
And there was no need to insult LANative and his spending habits. Buying fast food is a national thing and not limited to certain states. And what is more "Texan" than going to a Whataburger for your burger fix?
who insulted lanative? if anything, he/she insulted me by calling me cheap

and eating at whataburger isnt the "texan" thing to do, anymore than eating at sonic is the oklahoma thing to do. to be honest, it wasnt even until a few years ago that i even found out whataburger was based in texas

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
so now i dont know a lot of people because a majority of (but not all) the people i know dont eat whataburger? and the statement about whataburger not being popular with black texans was obviously speaking in general. i did not say all black folks dont eat there
It's a sweeping generalization that has no basis in reality. You're usually lamenting how people are making sweeping generalizations about Texas based on their limited anecdotes. You know better than to do the same, and I know that you are so much better than that.

Quote:
the fact is, in texas the majority of people who eat regularly at whataburger are usually white texans. and dont you live in atlanta? considering ive been black all my life and have lived in texas for 20+ years, you MIGHT want to allow the possibility that i know just a little more about this subject than you do
Me living in Atlanta has nothing to do with the generalizations that you were making, which was my main issue. So no need to be so condescending. I do have an ex-girlfriend as well as several friends that are from there or living there, and I have spent a lot of time in the state as a result of my connections there. Of course, I know that's not the same as living there, but i've spent enough time there to know that you made a sweeping generalization that isn't 100% true and has no credence.

Quote:
youre reading way too much into it. as someone who doesnt eat fast food extremely often (and as one who finds whataburger very overrated), paying as much as you do for a meal at that establishment simply isnt worth it to me when i can be more satisfied, for less money, elsewhere. thats my opinion, and i cant help if you disagree with it
That's fine, different strokes for different folks. I'm one of the main people that find arguing over personal preferences futile and pointless.

Quote:
and who said anything about the burgers having to be large?
I like a big greasy burger, and if I'm paying a reasonable price for it, I feel that i'm getting more "burger for the buck". YMMV.

Quote:
well lucky for me, i dont need your approval on my opinions
Trust me, I am not seeking your approval and couldn't care less what you think of my opinion. It is not that serious and there is no need of you being that sensitive.

Quote:
and eating at whataburger isnt the "texan" thing to do, anymore than eating at sonic is the oklahoma thing to do. to be honest, it wasnt even until a few years ago that i even found out whataburger was based in texas
I'm just saying that Ive always thought of Whataburger as a Texan institution :shrugs: Its about as Texan as High School Football, Frito Pie, Dr Pepper and Southwest Airlines to me. YMMV of course, but it's very telling of their marketing efforts and their image if I, a mere Georgian (by way of many states) knew of this. But what do I know?

FFS, are we really going back and forth about what kind of burgers we like?! This is what it's come too?! LMAO, just another day on C-D, I guess. Now it's back to cooking my Broccoli/Green Bean Medley and Broiled Chicken. Eating all that fast food is what got me morbidly obese anyhow. I'm losing the weight, but each push up, weight I lift and each step I take reminds me of why I don't need to be even thinking about a burger. And I'm watching The Biggest Loser as motivation. A-T-D, ok?

Last edited by grindin; 02-02-2010 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
The no bull burger at the cosmic cafe is the best burger I ever had. I don't like eating animals.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM

436 posts, read 1,348,230 times
When, from page 4 where I quit reading to page 11 where we are now, did this become a racial thing? In N Out is fine -- not bad, not great. I don't go out of my way when in CA to go there but not opposed to going there either. That said, there is space available at Caruth Haven and 75 where a Steak and Shake used to be and happens to be close to my house.

Interesting to know that John 3:16 is stamped in the cups. Making Tebow proud...are there In N Outs in Florida??

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin
How El Pollo Loco skipped over Dallas and Houston and wound up here in the Atlanta area still remains a mystery to me, but I'm not complaining, LOL. May go there after the gym tonight.
Now, this is the West Coast restaurant I'd like to see in DFW. The best fast-food grilled chicken burritos I've ever eaten and the bone in grilled chicken is awesome. Much healthier eating than a burger joint.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's a sweeping generalization that has no basis in reality. You're usually lamenting how people are making sweeping generalizations about Texas based on their limited anecdotes. You know better than to do the same, and I know that you are so much better than that.
it's not a sweeping generalization as much as it is an observation obtained from the many years i have lived in this state. not to mention discussion between other people. black texans, in general, do not frequent whataburger

i'm not in the habit of making statements with no basis. as a black man, who is from a black neighborhood, and has been around blacks all over the state of texas, i am more than qualified to make such assessments

Quote:
Me living in Atlanta has nothing to do with this. Also, I have an ex-girlfriend as well as several friends that are from there or living there, and I have spent a lot of time in the state. I know that's not the same as living there, but i've spent enough time there to know that you made a sweeping generalization that isn't 100% true and has no credence.
so being from california, and living in georgia, you just so happen to know plenty of black folks in/from texas who love whataburger....hmm, how covenient

but you said it yourself, having only visited texas means that you are nowhere near as familiar with it as someone who has lived here a very long time, so there's no possible way you could be more informed about the subject than i

Quote:
That's fine, different strokes for different folks. I'm one of the main people that find arguing over personal preferences futile and pointless.

I like a big greasy burger, and if I'm paying a reasonable price for it, I feel that i'm getting more "burger for the buck". YMMV.

Trust me, I am not seeking your approval and couldn't care less what you think of my opinion. It is not that serious and there is no need of you being that sensitive.
ay homey, you got hostile with me first. im just playing your game

Quote:
I'm just saying that Ive always thought of Whataburger as a Texan institution :shrugs: Its about as Texan as Frito Pie, Dr Pepper and Southwest Airlines to me. YMMV of course, but it's very telling of their marketing efforts and their image if I, a mere Georgian (by way of many states) knew of this. But what do I know?
the average texan does not partake of these "institutions" on the regular. i've never flown southwest, hate whataburger, and cant remember the last time i had frito pie. although i do love dr. pepper. texans are a very diverse bunch of people, and a great deal of us cannot be defined by such "institutions"

Quote:
FFS, are we really going back and forth about what kind of burgers we like?! This is what it's come too?! LMAO, just another day on C-D, I guess. Now it's back to cooking my Broccoli/Green Bean Medley and Broiled Chicken. Eating all that fast food is what got me back morbidly obese anyhow. I'm losing the weight, but each push up, weight I lift and each step I take reminds me of why I don't need to be even thinking about a burger. And I'm watching The Biggest Loser as motivation. A-T-D, ok?
i guess

Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
so being from california, and living in georgia, you just so happen to know plenty of black folks in/from texas who love whataburger....hmm, how covenient
Mock me if you must, but I was giving my personal perspective. I'm no more right or wrong than you are.

Quote:
but you said it yourself, having only visited texas means that you are nowhere near as familiar with it as someone who has lived here a very long time, so there's no possible way you could be more informed about the subject than
Which I admitted. In other news, water is wet and fire is hot. Care to share more nuggets of wisdom?

Quote:
ay homey, you got hostile with me first. im just playing your game
No games here, "homey". I was taking umbrage at you coming off as if you are some authority on what black people in Texas like. You're no more of an authority on them just as I'm no authority to speak for all black people where I live or have lived in the past.

Quote:
the average texan does not partake of these "institutions" on the regular. i've never flown southwest, hate whataburger, and cant remember the last time i had frito pie. although i do love dr. pepper. texans are a very diverse bunch of people, and a great deal of us cannot be defined by such "institutions"
I wasn't saying that all 24 Million Texans partake in all the same things. That would be ludicrous. I was saying that these are institutions that got their start in Texas and thrived in Texas and are well known institutions of the state. Call it marketing, call it imagery, whatever. Again, as I said earlier, YMMV. I'm speaking from the perspective of an outsider, yes, but it's really telling that I know of them and associate Texas with a lot of these companies and foods (not the only ones I think of, BTW) I'm glad that you omitted HS Football from your diatribe. We all know how big that is in much of the state.

Now that we've totally gone off topic, I'm going to sit back, step away from the keyboard and realize the ridiculousness of turning a relatively pleasant and inane conversation about burgers into...this...It really isn't this serious, so let's just agree to disagree and move on.

I may try my In-N-Out burger "Animal Style for the first time when I go out there.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Mock me if you must, but I was giving my personal perspective. I'm no more right or wrong than you are.

Which I admitted. In other news, water is wet and fire is hot. Care to share more nuggets of wisdom?

No games here, "homey". I was taking umbrage at you coming off as if you are some authority on what black people in Texas like. You're no more of an authority on them just as I'm no authority to speak for all black people where I live or have lived in the past.
that's not what i was doing. for me to act like an "authority" would be saying that "all black people don't eat there". but i never said that. only stated my observation from personal experience

Quote:
I wasn't saying that all 24 Million Texans partake in all the same things. That would be ludicrous. I was saying that these are institutions that got their start in Texas and thrived in Texas and are well known institutions of the state. Call it marketing, call it imagery, whatever. Again, as I said earlier, YMMV. I'm speaking from the perspective of an outsider, yes, but it's really telling that I know of them and associate Texas with a lot of these companies and foods (not the only ones I think of, BTW) I'm glad that you omitted HS Football from your diatribe. We all know how big that is in much of the state.

Now that we've totally gone off topic, I'm going to sit back, step away from the keyboard and realize the ridiculousness of turning a relatively pleasant and inane conversation about burgers into...this...It really isn't this serious, so let's just agree to disagree and move on.

I may try my In-N-Out burger "Animal Style for the first time when I go out there.
well im glad you would rather bury the hatchet, but unfortunately i have two other posters (who shall remain nameless) who im sure will show their faces any minute now to claim that i dont know what im talking about

Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
To say that "black people don't like Whataburger" is the same as saying "black people love chitlin's, watermelon, and fried chicken". Both statements are racist. Just because a black person said it, doesn't change that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas