U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM

236 posts, read 1,107,057 times

Advertisements

I work in Plano on Legacy as some may know from a previous post. Gf works in downtown Fort Worth. We have chosen Dallas as our location (so please spare the inner city being a better midpoint argument)

Uptown is pretty much out of the question with the prices (our budget is around $1300/month and would like 900+ sq feet)

We were quickly browsing apartments in Downtown Dallas and came across some... specifically somewhere in the location of West End Station (around Main Street area). Living a little south near the west end or victory park seems more suitable as it has closer access to 35E for my gf's commute to Fort Worth. I can just enter the Dallas Tollway from Harry Hines I believe? (please correct me if I'm wrong here)

Is this location good? I read something about being near a bus station where it can be loud?

Or if anyone can kind of lead me toward a good location for apartments that suits the commute to Fort Worth and with easy access to the tollway for me to get to Plano (legacy drive) that would be great!

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,565,499 times
Most anywhere in downtown Dallas is going to have easy access to I-30 and/or the toll road. Here's a link to condos and lofts in or near downtown. It's easier to cross downtown (east/west) from the north end.

And yes, the toll road splits off from the Harry Hines access, heading north.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 AM

So there's not an area with "easier" access to 30 for a commute to Ft Worth? or were you specifically talking about DOWNTOWN only? (not uptown, west village, lakewood, and other districts)

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

326 posts, read 884,932 times
Anywhere in the CBD will be convenient to both. We live downtown in the east end and it's a quick trip up Ervay to the DNT to Frisco (if you commute at the right times it's only ~20 minutes each way). From the West End going up Field or taking 35E is probably the fastest way to the DNT. The West End Station apartments overlook the DART rail station, but I'm not sure how that affects noise/traffic. You're a bit removed from the new parks and non-tourist places along Main Street, but it should be fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM

326 posts, read 884,932 times
Here's a list of all the downtown apartments: Downtown Dallas | DSPOT

Some of the lower priced apartments include the Kirby, Davis, 1900 Elm, Manor House. It all depends on what kind of place you are looking at (traditional apartment, luxury, loft, historic, etc).

Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Looking for luxury/modern over traditional/loft/historic...

So, looks like downtown is the best area for the commute to ft worth? Not any of the other districts

Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM

12,431 posts, read 24,041,152 times
I think you're spitting hairs over whether downtown or uptown is a shorter commute for your girlfriend to FW- they're 2 minutes apart.

West End is not the most exciting place to live. No one who lives in Dallas really hangs out there- it's more tourists. People do eat at The Palm, but that's a once a year kind of place, not a place you'd hang out.

I can't believe you looked at every apartment in Uptown and could not find a new 1br for $1,300.

Can you help us understand what "luxury" apartment means to you?

Not being snarky, but I think you and/ or your girlfriend needs to get your expectations in check. You want to move to the most expensive part of Dallas, so you may have to give up sone of the luxuries you enjoy in FW or wherever you live now in order to live somewhere more fun & lively.

You clearly aren't making $200-300k per year or else you would have a higher apartment budget, so you can't expect to live like someone who does. Just saying. If you expect luxury everything, living in Uptown may cause problems for you financially. You will see people driving Maserstis, Ferraris, BMW, Benz, etc. Many of the girls are wearing a different $400 dress from Neiman's with $600 Christian Louboutin heels out every night. Not everyone is like this and there are tons of cool, laid-back people in Uptown, but if you are the kind of people who want luxury everythig to "keep up", you're going to go broke chasing the dream or rack up mounds of credit card debt.

You are only 22, 23, whatever. I was there not so long ago. Live as cheaply as you can while you're renting so you can afford to buy a nice house (which you will enjoy much longer than your 22y/o apartment) by the time you're married & have kids.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Oh... we didn't look yet...

more concerned with the easiest access for commute to Fort Worth for now. So, you're saying go ahead with uptown area? (I think we misjudged on the map how close/far these districts were from each other)

so uptown looks SO much further from 30 than downtown... same with lakewood, addison circle, and the other districts

Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM

and no no I'm not like that at all. I'm down to earth and laid back and am not LOADED but not POOR either. By luxury I guess I meant nice modern apartment. Something that LOOKS like it was built in the 2000s or so.

Modern is the best way to describe it but not lofty either. Still want a "homey" feel to it

Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,634,961 times
Your gf will get to I-30 either by going Woodall Rogers to I-35 briefly and then to I-30 or she can go Commerce St/Ft Worth Ave. to I-30. You're not going to want to get on I-30 directly from downtown. I-30 between I-45 and I-35 is heavily congested which is why you want to get to it coming off I-35 south or via Commerce Street/Ft. Worth Ave.

She could even use Industrial n/k/a Riverfront to get to I-30.

Have you looked at Jefferson at the Northend?
Home | Uptown. Upscale. Northend | North End - Apartments in Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas