Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

I actually know someone who got the boot from private school for behavior reasons even after the family donated over $100,000 - so it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
How un-Christian to kick a child out of school!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So isn't it true that a lot of private school teachers are not certified and the schools are not accredited?
Are you kidding? I know you're a public school booster, but that's just kooky.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
I can't believe I'm actually backing up Lakewooder!

It's next to impossible for a public school to hire an accredited teacher. Private schools can hire anyone they want.

This can play out on both ends of the private school spectrum. A place like St. Mark's is free to hire someone who could otherwise be teaching at the university level, without forcing them to acquire a teaching credential. Some of the rinky-dink religious private schools can get someone's friend's brother (who's really good with kids) in front of a classroom.

There is an accreditation process for private schools - but there's no requirement that the schools take part in it. Buyer beware!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
One of Tom Hicks' sons got kicked out of St Mark's, so anything is possible. Also, I believe Owen Wilson was kicked out, too.

My class at HP "acquired" a handful of kids over the years who were kicked out of the elite privates for behavior and/or skipping too many classes.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Are you kidding? I know you're a public school booster, but that's just kooky.

Lakewooder is correct. It's not hard to find unaccredited teachers in private schools. That doesn't mean they are unqualified to teach their subject, just means they haven't checked all the boxes the state of Texas requires.

Unaccredited schools are an entirely different subject. Run, run, run!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Not that kooky - I know Lakehill started out that way and stayed the course for many years. I'm not sure what the current status is..but the place was completely geared to keeping "our" kids from going to school with the N*****S. It turns out they were not doing "their" kids any favors. Obviously I still have hard feelings over the place because they divided up some of my friends.

I was wondering if it's still the same way today with some of these schools which keep popping up. I get really irritated when some of them hide behind the "Christian" label.

* my asterisks

Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Quote:
How un-Christian to kick a child out of school!
It was an Independent School - not a religious one.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
I was wondering if it's still the same way today with some of these schools which keep popping up. I get really irritated when some of them hide behind the "Christian" label.
OK, the universe is back in order. I'm on the opposite side of the fence from Lakewooder.

First, Lakewooder "wonders" as to the intent behind new lower-tier private schools. Then, in the next sentence, the uncertainty is gone - those schools have been tried and convicted of the crime of using religion as an excuse for segregation.

From my perspective, "Christian school" = "school with marginal academic standards". I wouldn't waste my time or money with such schools.

However, I don't think there's any racist intent behind those schools. For the ones I'm vaguely familiar with, the black population of the schools is the same or even higher than that of the general population of the neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
I'm right there with ya. Our pastor preaches AGAINST that belief system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
From my perspective, "Christian school" = "school with marginal academic standards". I wouldn't waste my time or money with such schools.

However, I don't think there's any racist intent behind those schools. For the ones I'm vaguely familiar with, the black population of the schools is the same or even higher than that of the general population of the neighborhood.
Oh, don't be so quick. MANY of the people that I know that put their kids in area private Christian schools are some of the most racist people I've meet. Whenever any of them find out where my kids go (magnets in the public school system) they are taken aback and always give me the same response, "what about the demographics?". I've had them even flat out say something about the race of some of the kids at their school. They are NOT that open to others.

Our pastor actually preaches AGAINST private Christian schools. More along the lines to those that want to build up a fence and keep "others" out and not have to interact with anyone that might be different. I know it has to chap a few behinds as there are several people sitting in the pews that I know for a fact they send their kids to these schools in order to avoid their children being around others that are not Christians and of a different race and religion. I believe several have figured out they are not going to win any brownie points with me when it comes to having their kids in private Christian schools as I'm not for them. One very popular one that many go to I do know had issues w/ their academics slipping down. One close friend and parent told us they even meet with them about the academics slipping and not being up to what they once were. I actually think it is rather entertaining when my high schooler starts discussing her English class discussions as some of them are religious in context due to the nature of the books they are reading and it is in a PUBLIC school with "those demographics". These ones that want to hide behind that Christian fortress are always stunned that they are allowed to discuss religion in a public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas