Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM

18 posts, read 86,517 times

Advertisements

There is another post on here about Perry Heights, but I was wondering if anyone has more information about the area. It looks like a nice area, but I have read different things about crime and noise that are a little concerning. What is the value of that area compared to that of HP or UP. They are basically right across the street. Many of the current homes listed are priced at $200+ sq/ft. Is that a justified list price? If you had 550-650k to purchase a home, would you purchase something bigger in Perry Heights, or would you just head over to HP or UP and get something a little smaller? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Even with the market softening a bit in the past year, try to find a single family home in the Park Cities with character and architectral interest for sub-$650k....you still can't. It would take closer to $775-850k. You can def find a townhome or condo in that price range.

Perry Heights is a little overpriced still, IMO. It is a very small neighborhood, just 6-8 square blocks or so. Love Field air traffic can be loud as the landing path for many flights is straight down Lemmon. Also, Wycliff and Douglas are very busy streets where people drive pretty fast going on/off the tollroad.

If you like the architecture and urban neighborhood aspect of Perry Heights and still want to be close to downtown, you're better off spending $350-450k in the M Streets, Vickery Place, or Cochran Heights, or finding another $125-200k and pursuing the Park Cities.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 PM

PS- check Candy Evans "Dallas Dirt" real estate blog. There were a few postings in the past month or two discussing the market value in Perry Heights.

dallasdirt.dmagazine.com

Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I probably would not buy in PH unless I wanted to walk to Cedar Springs or the shops along Lemmon. I agree with TC - Lakewood proper is also about $200 per square foot, more (could be double) for a 20s and 30s Tudor or "Spanish" revival such as a Hutsell. M-Streets are a bit less but have the great character Tudors. I think Cochran Heights is an excellent place to buy - most of the homes are a bit smaller but a lot of them are by Charles Stevens Dilbeck. Vickery Place also has a great location and the revival of Henderson bodes well for it also. Another good place to buy is Junius Heights but that's a little bit different then PH - mostly smaller Craftsmans plus some great Tudors and larger brick Craftsmans off Gaston on the side streets leading to Junius - some of those can be in the $500s. My favorite place to live, where I've never lived (but have/had a lot friends live) is Hollywood Heights - sort of a smaller M-Streets.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Take heed to TC's warning...
Quote:
Love Field air traffic can be loud as the landing path for many flights is straight down Lemmon.
Perry Heights is between Lemmon and Cedar Springs. Cedar Springs is the street that drives directly into Love Field. Jets are low enough you can see directly into the wheel wells as jets approach landing. When taking off, you will cease conversation and anticipate reruns of whatever tv/radio program to which you may have been listening.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
We used to live at Mockingbird and Inwood - and we did have to stop talking when planes were overhead; this was outside, though. You could not hear the person standing directly in front of you.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 86,517 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. So, I guess the real question I am asking, is if the homes in PH are actually worth the $200/sq.ft price that they are going for? Will I see that back at resale, or will I be overpaying? Is it a hard area to sell in? We will probably only be there until our 1 year old starts school in 4.5 years, so resale/holding value is important to us. Also, can someone speak to the crime in that area? I see that the neighborhood has had walls put in to stop through traffic, but does that also keep out crime, or is that general area pretty crime heavy. Thanks for you inputs.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM

There is a good bit of petty crime there, as well as some sketchy/ unsavory characters who walk through the area and hang out at the park by the Tollroad at night.

For $200/sf, you are FAR better looking in M Streets over to Lakewood, where there is are great elementary schools you may end up sendig your kids to- or at least they'll be a good option if for any reason unknown to us today (second recession, etc) you are unable to sell when you want to.

Still close to downtown/ uptown/ arts district, but with more of a family atmosphere than Perry Heights (ie, more kids and half your neighbors won't be older gay couples like in PH).

Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I really like Perry Heights and I don't know of any violent crimes in there but as TC says there are some petty thefts and a few people passing through who are probably strangers who would be recognized as strangers in another neighborhood. That's just the price you pay for the proximity to a lot of the stores, restaurants and bars. Some of those same issues happen along Lower Greenville but usually that's just Lowest Greenville down near Ross. M-Streets are a good suggestion. Lakewood is a bit more expensive (around that $200 per square foot range) but even more family oriented (with the fun single and young couple things not far away at all).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas