Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM

236 posts, read 1,203,033 times

Advertisements

I'm stealing some recommmendations here except I'm needing a 1 bedroom 1 study or 2 bedroom

the Post and Manchester State Thomas area is awesome. I need to finish up touring these (started but still got a while)

Marquis at State Thomas booked FAST... but I think they have some 1 bedrooms left (as of Sunday).

I need to check out West Village...

After my hunting over the weekend, I've decided uptown is the way to go for the young crowd... night life... bars... etc... and being close to mckinney preferably walking distance is HUGE.

I think west village allows you to walk to bars on mckinney and food etc... AND you are within walking distance to grocery stores.

Any other suggestions people? I didn't want to start ANOTHER thread... but hopefully I had some input here for you as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Yes, West Village is central to Uptown urban activity. There's a WalMart grocery, an Albertson's grocery and Target all nearby. Lemmon and Blackburn are the main streets across the area.

If I had it to do over that's where I'd start. Back in '69 I was sitting with some friends on the banks of Turtle Creek, just across from Lee Park when I saw my first 747 taking off out of Love Field. It was going so slow it looked like it would drop out of the sky. There was no DFW then, only big ideas. Oak Lawn was all pilots and stewardesses, kinda still is.....

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Looks like West Village is our next tour.... are there a lot of complexes in that particular area? What are some specifically you would suggest? Sorry, it sounds like I'm stealing this thread... but I figure we're in the same exact situation so answering my questions helps him... and vice versa

Quick points:

-Walking distance to mckinney/nightlife restaurants etc...

-$1000-$1500 max and prefer 1 br 1 study or 2 br.... surprisingly, these rates exist in the area so don't think I'm crazy haha

-dog friendly with ease of access in and out to grass (i guess 1st floor is my best option anywhere huh? i just like being high up)

All I'm really finding in West Village is gables mirabella and marquis at west village.... am I missing something?

Last edited by andyATMcandy; 03-08-2010 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 04:12 PM

44 posts, read 70,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyATMcandy View Post
Looks like West Village is our next tour.... are there a lot of complexes in that particular area? What are some specifically you would suggest? Sorry, it sounds like I'm stealing this thread... but I figure we're in the same exact situation so answering my questions helps him... and vice versa

Quick points:

-Walking distance to mckinney/nightlife restaurants etc...

-$1000-$1500 max and prefer 1 br 1 study or 2 br.... surprisingly, these rates exist in the area so don't think I'm crazy haha

-dog friendly with ease of access in and out to grass (i guess 1st floor is my best option anywhere huh? i just like being high up)

All I'm really finding in West Village is gables mirabella and marquis at west village.... am I missing something?
Personally I would not live near west village. It's crazy on weekends, loud, tons of traffic. I am going to strongly recommend the state thomas area. It's fairly quiet, easy walk to Mckinney ave with many places to eat or enjoy your favorite adult beverage.

I have lived all over Uptown the past 5 years. State Thomas area IMHO is the best. I have also lived in post and gables apartments. Gables again IMHO is a better place to live. If you want more information on Uptown just PM me.

Good luck

Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I would never take a 1st floor unit- too easy a target for break-ins, which do happen.

It's a pain with a dog, but look 2nd or 3rd floor or higher.

For West Village Area, look at the apartments east of McKinney (by Hank Haney Driving Range & the Borders Book Store). It will be quieter than the apartments in the core of the W Vill.

For central location, I would put a premium on being in the "middle" action. Try to stay as close to McKinney between Allen and Hall as you can. That way, you're half way between McKinney/ State-Thomas scene and West Village scene. And along the trolley route!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Turtle... you know much about the Manchester State Townhomes/Brownstones? You have so much knowledge DFW, I figured I'd ask

yeah 1st floor is scary... other levels besides top can be loud with all the neighbors around u... so this townhome thing is perfect for us.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyATMcandy View Post
Turtle... you know much about the Manchester State Townhomes/Brownstones? You have so much knowledge DFW, I figured I'd ask

yeah 1st floor is scary... other levels besides top can be loud with all the neighbors around u... so this townhome thing is perfect for us.
I have two friends who live there. They like it. The units are nice.

I think they especially like living across the street from the Londoner

Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 22,886 times
I'm going again to recommend the Thirty377 apartments. Great location 2 streets over from McKinney but still seems very secluded and quiet. Direct access to the Katy Trail was a huge plus for me since I plan to walk my dog on there alot. They have a ton of different floorplans and some with studys. You will be able to find a one bedroom with a study in your pricerange for sure.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 44,641 times
Sorry for the late reply-

do you suggest that I sublet an apartment for a short time during my initial relocation in uptown dallas? I don't know if it's a good idea to jump into a 12 month lease when I am completely unfamiliar with the area.

Thank you ! This has been very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: