Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 27,847 times

Advertisements

If everyone wants a low cost of living and the best beaches in the world (1 beach is 100 times better than all California beaches combined.), move to the Redneck Riviera.

Of course the economic opportunities aren't the same as Cali and Tx, but if you're just looking to spend less money and go to the beach, which are the 2 most mentioned pros for SoCal and Dallas, pack everything up and move to LA. Lower Alabama, that is.

P.S. I bet ya'll didn't know Alabama had beaches. http://tinyurl.com/2y5jjj (broken link)

Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM

41 posts, read 154,069 times
Ok I am looking for horse property too. I have almost 6 acres here in California and wanted to cut down my herd and was trying to find about 2 acres. looked in Pilot Point and it seemed alittle price to match what I have here. any ideas of Areas. Started looking at Royce City. found a few 2 acres parcels with a nice house on it. other areas that are horse, but not as pricey as Pilot Point. most of my trainer friend live there, so what to stay somewhat close.
thanks

Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post
If everyone wants a low cost of living and the best beaches in the world (1 beach is 100 times better than all California beaches combined.), move to the Redneck Riviera.

Of course the economic opportunities aren't the same as Cali and Tx, but if you're just looking to spend less money and go to the beach, which are the 2 most mentioned pros for SoCal and Dallas, pack everything up and move to LA. Lower Alabama, that is.

P.S. I bet ya'll didn't know Alabama had beaches. http://tinyurl.com/2y5jjj (broken link)
you know, I guess I didn't know any thing about Alabama beaches. all I know about Alabama is that Forest Gump played college football there and my laundry soap must be made there (THE TIDE). Just kiddin, man is that really a pic of an Alabama beach? That looks more like the Virgin Islands.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher0 View Post

I would surely hope people in Texas know geography well enough to know AL has beaches. By the way, that's a pretty photo.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,130 times
Surprisingly Alabama beaches are gorgeous!! I spent a 4th of July at Gulf Shores many years back....WHITE WHITE sand ...loved it. The town area around it was kind of "hillbilly" but luckily we didn't have to spend to much time there...stayed in a condo right on the beach. I would definatley go there again.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:07 PM

9 posts, read 28,393 times
Hey califantastic,

I was born in New York and lived there until I was about 13. I'm 24 now. Although I only had to endure Texas' wrath for about four years (I went to college in the Northeast), those four years were the worst of my life. I now live in New York and don't ever want to go back again.

Reason # 1: Texas is HIGHLY bible-oriented. I do not know if you are Christian, but I AM. Even though I am Christian, it always got really annoying to hear people talking about God every single damn day. There was absolutely no diversity there.

Reason # 2: The heat during the summer is UNBEARABLE. The first time I came to Texas, the highs in October were in the 90's! During the summer the highs are in the 100's for a good part of the season.

Reason # 3: The weather can get really bad in the spring. Severe weather is not uncommon, and considering the fact that the DFW area is in tornado alley, tornadoes aren't rare! Although snow can sometimes get annoying here in New York, it is worth dealing with.

Reason # 4: There is no mass transportation and although you may think you're okay with driving 50 miles everyday (if you haven't come here yet) you definitely won't be in a little while. I currently live on Long Island and am glad to be out of that horrifying ordeal.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:40 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Sorry that DFW didn't suit you personally, Saleen245, but most people like it here and want to stay. And I can't recall more than one or two occasions when anyone discussed religion with me.

According to the 2000 census, more that twice as many New Yorkers moved to Dallas compared to the other way around. The numbers are for the period 1996-2000. 13,850 New Yorkers moved to Dallas, but only 6,825 Dallasites moved to New York.

Dallas has experienced a massive population growth and has become the 4th largest metro area in the United States. It must be doing right by a lot of people.

But if you're not one of them, that's OK.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:56 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen245 View Post
Hey califantastic,

I was born in New York and lived there until I was about 13. I'm 24 now. Although I only had to endure Texas' wrath for about four years (I went to college in the Northeast), those four years were the worst of my life. I now live in New York and don't ever want to go back again.

Reason # 1: Texas is HIGHLY bible-oriented. I do not know if you are Christian, but I AM. Even though I am Christian, it always got really annoying to hear people talking about God every single damn day. There was absolutely no diversity there.

Reason # 2: The heat during the summer is UNBEARABLE. The first time I came to Texas, the highs in October were in the 90's! During the summer the highs are in the 100's for a good part of the season.

Reason # 3: The weather can get really bad in the spring. Severe weather is not uncommon, and considering the fact that the DFW area is in tornado alley, tornadoes aren't rare! Although snow can sometimes get annoying here in New York, it is worth dealing with.

Reason # 4: There is no mass transportation and although you may think you're okay with driving 50 miles everyday (if you haven't come here yet) you definitely won't be in a little while. I currently live on Long Island and am glad to be out of that horrifying ordeal.
#1, your experience is a whole lot different than mine. I haven't had a single person talk to me about their church... no invitiations to church, or anything like that. In New York it was much more in your face, at least near NYC, because everyone is either Catholic or Jewish and assumed everyone else was as well.

#2, if you can't handle the heat you are right.. don't come to TX. I've found it much more bearable than the mid atlantic though. The humidity isn't nearly as bad, and I got used to the heat after 2 weeks. I'd much rather some hot days in the summer than having to shovel snow in the winter.

#3, how many homes have you had property that were damaged by a tornado? What about your neighbors in TX? Now how many sustained damage by a hurricane? From my personal east coast experience we suffered through two devistating hurricanes with power outages of 11 days for one and 19 days for the other. Haven't seen that in TX.

#4, traffic is mild in Dallas. But if you're happy in LI, that's great. I miss the pizza and bagels, and swimming on the south shore. But you couldn't pay me enough to move back

Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen245 View Post
Hey califantastic,

I moved to Colorado to escape th horrifying ordeal, but It only took me 5 months. How did you do "Years"? I have found that ones hate for Texas, is as strong as ones love of Texas.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
we are also looking to move to TX (McKinney/Lucas area) but only because of the real estate prices here//// We want acreage with our home and that is something you cant get here in CA... so what is the humidity like above Allen or Richardson TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas