U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM

80 posts, read 179,995 times

Advertisements

We're attending a concert at Nokia Theater soon and thought it might be a great idea to head out early and have a nice dinner.

Can anyone recommend any nice restaurants in the area? We're open to any types of food, but would like something upscale and special.

TIA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 PM

12,642 posts, read 24,867,052 times
LOL! You've never been to Grand Prairie or Arlington, right? Stop in Uptown/ Downtown Dallas or North Oak Cliff for dinner on your way out to Nokia. What kind of food do you like?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM

216 posts, read 673,401 times
There is a bunch of great mexican restaurants on main st (just S of 30 on beltline). My favorite is Ninas. Nothing upscale about it though. just a regular place, great food

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM

33,205 posts, read 52,492,515 times
there is a nice restaurant in Arlington located on upper floor of office building--the Cacharel--which was pretty highly regarded a few years past--don't know about current reputation except the reviews on the Google Maps listing are pretty favorable for most part--
Cacharel4
not open for dinner on Sunday
they do a fixed price menu with appetizer, main course, dessert as well as general menu items

one of the more "classy" in Arlington--which is mostly a strip mall mecca for fast room and Chili's-types...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM

2,974 posts, read 8,829,547 times
When we go to Nokia, we usually stop at the Belmont Hotel for dinner since it's right off/on I-30. Smoke is their restaurant now - see if they have anything you like S M O K E . Traffic is terrible in and out of Nokia.

Make sure you get there early. Last time, we thought we had plenty of time, but we arrived right when the main act went onstage and we had to park all the way over at horse track parking lot. It was a bummer.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM

33,205 posts, read 52,492,515 times
agree that getting in/out of Nokia is a pain--and frankly I HATE the way that people get up to go to the bar and amble back time after time during a concert

MAKE SURE that your tickets don't put you right in front of a traffic path--can totally destroy your experience...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,268,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
When we go to Nokia, we usually stop at the Belmont Hotel for dinner since it's right off/on I-30. Smoke is their restaurant now - see if they have anything you like S M O K E .
I second the Smoke idea! The stretch of I-30 between N. Oak Cliff and Ft. Worth is basically a culinary desert.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM

80 posts, read 179,995 times
Thanks everyone!!

LOL @ TurtleCreek80 - No, I haven't ventured there since my arrival last year.

A varied menu of American fare would work as there are 6 of us going. So steaks, seafood, poultry dishes, would probably allow everyone to find something. loves2read and Pepper131 - both of your suggestions look like great options.

I'll pass these along to the rest of my party. I was hoping we could find something closer to the venue, especially since we're all coming from different directions.

Thank you all!!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 AM

12,642 posts, read 24,867,052 times
Try Bolsa in the Bishop Arts District, just about a mile south of I-30 in North Oak Cliff.
Amazing cocktails and market fresh menu with salads, flat breads, and wondeful meat entrees.
Great atmosphere!

Love the Belmont, but unfortunately the new restaurant there (Smoke) is horrible! Read the D Mag and DMN reviews.....

Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,268,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Love the Belmont, but unfortunately the new restaurant there (Smoke) is horrible! Read the D Mag and DMN reviews.....

Restaurant reviews can be a lot like movie reviews in that they are very subjective. The D mag review was pretty scathing. But, the DMN gave it a good review when it first opened last Fall. I have been there about 5 times now, as recently as last week and I completely disagree with the negative reviews. On one occassion the servers were very green, but that has not been an issue the last couple of times I've been there. The food that I've had at Smoke has always been excellent. I agree with you that Bolsa would be an excellent choice (btw, Smoke & Bolsa are owned by the same people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: