Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 7,272 times

Advertisements

Hello, Hello!

My familly and I are looking to move to Texas in the near future. My husband will be working in the northern part of Richardson. We are hoping for some guidance on neighborhoods that will fit the following criteria:

-established neighborhoods, i.e. mature trees
-homes with yards above .35 acres
-community spirit/involvement
-nice parks, good elementary school/s, community pool, etc.

You know just the usual all around awesomeness for parents with young kids.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer, we are oh so ignorant!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 AM

225 posts, read 518,981 times
Sounds like he's working in the telecom corridor near Campbell. I would try Richardson Heights which is West of 75 mainly in between Arapaho and Beltline. Not sure what you're looking to spend, but these houses are priced very reasonably and the neighborhood is beautiful and established. Also check out Prestonwood over near Beltline and Hillcrest. This is a very nice established neighborhood as well and a step up from Richardson Heights in terms of price.

Depending on what you're looking to spend on a home you're big give here could be back yard size. A .35 acres of just back yard is not the standard.

Central and West Plano are worth looking into as well - great schools, good shopping, low tax rates because you're out of Dallas county. I think you'll find that these areas have more to offer than Garland. I hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Depending on your budget I think you will be happy with what you find in the Richardson/Garland area. The areas in Richardson w/ the older mature trees will not have the neighborhood community pool but they do have the city/rec pools or a country club pool close by. You can find the community pool in the newer neighborhoods of Garland w/ the mature trees though.

In Richardson the Richardson Heights neighborhood was mentioned. I know several people in this neighborhood and many that grew up there. Great family area and convienent to everything. Older smaller ranch homes w/ the mature trees. No community or HOA pool but the city pool is at Heights Park. There is also Canyon Creek which is just north of the Heights neighborhood w/ the older ranch homes that are larger with the mature trees. Again, I know many that live in here and grew up here and all love it. No community pool but there is Canyon Creek Country Club.

In Garland for the mature trees and the community pool you need to check out Firewheel. Great community involvement w/ the whole families trick-or-treating and one area of the community actually sits up outside on the sidewalk and hands out candy (actually two do this as our neighborhood in Firewheel started it a few years ago as well). There are several different HOA communities in Firewheel and most have a community pool and clubhouse. One has tennis courts. There is a Firewheel Mom's Group that meets monthly as well as numerous bunco groups and such and every year the entire Firewheel and Greens neighborhoods have an annual Fall Festival and an Easter Egg Hunt at the golf course. I'd also look in The Greens which is just on the other side of brand from The Branding Iron part of Firewheel Golf Course. You will find the mature trees and the larger lots but no community pool (chances are your kids will make friends w/ kids that live in a Firewheel neighborhood and they will constantly be invited to go swimming w/ them ). I live in Firewheel and my parents in The Greens. HIGHLY recommend the area and no complaints at all. Very family friendly with parks nearby, One Eleven Ranch Park and the massive Breckinridge Park.

There is also SpringPark. It is in the city limits of Garland but Richardson schools. Again, I know many people that live in this neighborhood. Parks and greenbelts and a community pool and tennis courts. Older houses w/ the mature trees. Their Christmas lights tour is awesome. In one area of SpringPark each street has a theme. Many culdesacs and tons of people that don't even have fences as they live on a greenbelt and like the wide open feel and space.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
There is a city of Richardson swimming pool on the same property at Canyon Creek Elementary school, so there is a pool in that neighborhood.

There is also the member owned Greenwood Hills swimming pool that you pay to join for the summer. It's not that expensive.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Last year it was $30 for a season pass to use any of 5 different swimming pools.

Richardson TX: Parks and Recreation (http://www.cor.net/ParksAndRecreation.aspx?id=4044 - broken link)

Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,272 times
Wow!! Thank you all so much for the quick, informational responses. We are planning on taking a quick trip in several months to check out some neighborhoods and these suggestions will be very useful.

momof2dfw: Thank you so much for such a detailed response! Firewheel sounds like exactly the kind of place we would like for our kids. I don't suppose you would know off hand what price range houses in Firewheel are selling for currently?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:12 PM

25 posts, read 60,554 times
momof2dfw I know you recommended Firewheel but having trouble keeping up with all the threads/posts lol. Which Elementary school would you recommend in Firewheel? My daughter starts kindergarten in the fall. What Zip Codes starting with most highly recommended? I read Abbett is a great school. Priorities = 1) Elementary School 2) Close to community pool/park for stay at home mom 3) houses within $180-$220 max starting with 2000 sq. ft and up.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Richardson is another option to look into ~ anyone have zip codes for me? See last post listing to priorities. Husband would be commuting to plano. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:24 PM

P.S. must have community pool in neighorhood......

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suggestions View Post
Richardson is another option to look into ~ anyone have zip codes for me? See last post listing to priorities. Husband would be commuting to plano. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suggestions View Post
P.S. must have community pool in neighorhood......
Heights Park and Canyon Creek (both in 75080) have pools in the neighborhoods but they are public city pools, not just for locals. I do not swim all that often (my eyesight is too poor to go without glasses and goggles are never watertight for contacts and prescription goggles are out of the question) but I have never heard anyone say anything bad about either of those pools. The one at Heights Park is slated for redevelopment in the near future as it was part of the bond issue that just passed recently here.

I live in the Heights Park neighborhood; I moved here almost a year ago and so far I love it. Lots of young couples, some with children, some not, and lots of older retired couples. As those older retired couples toddle off to assisted living, their houses go on the market but spring is the peak time to buy here. There was very little for sale over the winter here. The nearby elementary school (Heights Elementary) was rated exemplary by the TEA last year and if you live in Heights Park you can walk to it easily without crossing any busy roads (unless you consider Floyd to be busy, which I don't).

Some people do not like the fact that there are no malls and no big box stores immediately near Heights Park but I consider that a plus, not a minus. We have a Whole Foods, a Kroger, 2 Tom Thumbs, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, a Fiesta, a Super Target, and a Sprouts (somewhat similar to Trader Joe's, but somewhat not) plus lots of great ethnic markets, mainly Indian, Middle Eastern, and Kosher all within an easy drive of this neighborhood...plus there are Chinese and Vietnamese markets on the other side of 75. So if you like to cook you are set, especially if you like "ethnic" food. We even have two fully Kosher cafes nearish to our neighborhood. One in particular has slow service but superb shawarmas (Natalie's at Hillcrest and Campbell). The Far North Dallas Eruv extends as far south as Arapaho so you do see Orthodox Jewish families shopping and eating along Coit along with pretty much every other ethnicity you can think of. The area is very diverse in nationality, race, age, and religion. I like that. We also have some great mom and pop restaurants/cafes in the area, you do not have to look hard. And if you are into that sort of thing we have fast food concentrated mainly along Coit, Spring Valley, some parts of Campbell, and 75 itself.

Basically I cannot talk up the area enough. I love this area; it's not flashy, it's not new, and it's not even wealthy. But it's very normal, very quiet, and very real. People here seem to take real pride in their homes and neighborhoods and that is great. Neighbors on my street will stop and chat with each other. I am new and do not go out into my front yard very often but whenever I do, I get a friendly wave or a quick chat and I am slowly getting to know my neighbors, many of whom have lived here since the 50s or 60s and have some pretty interesting stories about how the area has changed. The woman whose house I bought was very well-liked here and had lived in the house almost since it was built in 1957. Several of my neighbors use her son's heating and cooling company for their HVAC needs. It's like that. I like it. My closest neighbors are a curtain-twitching elderly couple and they are fabulous. The other day when I was digging in the yard at the hottest time of day he came over to make sure I was OK and gave me tips for avoiding heat stroke. Awww bless him!

Last edited by BigDGeek; 05-26-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas