Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,732 times

Advertisements

The first month was reasonable, this past month more than doubled. Doesn't make much sense because I've been very careful about usage. I'm currently getting charged 10.07 cents/kWh and from people I've talked to, I won't find a better rate than that right now? I guess there's nothing to do except cut my heat off completely and bundle up. Very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:16 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
guys--everyone needs to read the fine print on their bills or on the company's web site...
ANYTIME there is high useage of power and the electric grid or the gas lines have heavy power consumption, the price of power goes UP...does not matter how much YOU use--it is all the people draining the grid...
it gives the electric providers and the gas providers (mainly Arkla there)...the opportunity, the DESIGNED/SANCTIONED, opportunity to hit you with a higher cost factor...

even if you were out of town for the past week and were using minimal power consumption, I guarantee you will be paying more on next month's bill...

the state utility commission has refused for years to also make the energy providers use a more fair avg cost factor--they peg their costs to the highest form of fuel they can--whether they are actually using it to power all their generators...

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,732 times
thanks for that info. I did not know that.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM

36 posts, read 81,628 times
I don't know who you use but if my electric company did that I would be mad. I have a 2400 sq ft home and my highest gas and electric bill I have ever had summer or winter was $180. CoServ is wonderful! Get them if you can!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM

37 posts, read 100,253 times
Oncor began installing smart meters made by Landis Gyr; It looks like it is the same meter that is being rolled out in California where people are experiencing a 2-3 (or 4) times hike is REPORTED usage--eclipsing their mortgages. My TX elect co admitted that "People won't be able to afford their mortgages". This should not be the end of story..let's take action. The same problem (not sure which brand they are using in these areas) are happening with the new 'smart meters' in NC, VA, and GA.

I'm posting the California experience since their installation and reaction is a little ahead of ours.. they have a lawsuit - but the rollout of meters is continuing (as is a PR campaign by the Electric co's (and PUC?) to try to convince people that the meters are good:

PG&E Sued Over Smart Meters, Slows Down Bakersfield Deployment*:*Greentech Media
The two following sites are more grass roots but they have good detail on the problem:

SMART METERS HAVE NOW BEEN VERIFIED TO BE DOUBLING POWER BILL!
(this blog article has a link to godlike productions that has 20 some pages of consumer experiences)

Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
you have a rant about smart meters...

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM

There's a meeting in Dallas on Sunday 4PM February 21, 2010 at 1123 West Davis Street in Dallas at a cafe organized by people expressing their complaints with bills after the smart meter.

There are complaints in Irving, Dallas, Kessler Park, and Arlington it sounds like at least (also Killeen, Coperas Cove, Hearne, and Waco from what I've read)

fyi:

PUC (Texas state agency for Public Utilities) told me that when people call to complain- they are not recorded as complaints but rather "comments" since the PUC approved the meter.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 199,747 times
I just want to add that I've heard some pretty scary stories regarding the newly installed "smart" meters... local news reports from different individuals in Arlington, I believe...

Now, onto my energy breakdown:

I use Champion Energy for Electric and Atmos for gas. My primary heating source is gas. My price per kilowatt hour is 10 cents and I am in a 1 year contract.

My most recent electric bill was $68 and gas was $74. We live in a one story home of approximately 1800 sq feet. I changed all my lightbulbs to either compact fluorescent or LED within the past couple of months. We have all of our computer equipment and electronics connected to power supplies with on/off switch. We turn the switches off when we are not using the electronics/computers. We try to never leave chargers plugged into the outlets, as well. All the little things add up...

Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 PM

The elect co I use said that people won't be able to afford their mortgages with these bills? I wonder how that will affect:
the housing crises
homelessness
car sales
sales tax revenue (for those with a supersized bill.. if they keep using power- there will be a whole lot less spending money).
health and safety

Old 02-20-2010, 10:49 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
The first month was reasonable, this past month more than doubled. Doesn't make much sense because I've been very careful about usage. I'm currently getting charged 10.07 cents/kWh and from people I've talked to, I won't find a better rate than that right now? I guess there's nothing to do except cut my heat off completely and bundle up. Very frustrating.
welcome to dallas.

utility costs is one of the main reasons we may never move back. we were getting nailed for up to 15 cents/kwh when we left a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas