Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,196 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Dallas soon and are looking for a nice subdivision on the west side of town. Will be working on the west side of downtown. Looking for a safe, family-friendly community. Would prefer new construction so we can move in quickly. Our price range is up to 150,000 and we're hoping for 3-4 bedrooms.
Is anyone familiar with The Oaks at North Lakeview in Lake Dallas? Would this be what we're looking for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 26,642 times
Lake Dallas? As in North of Lewisville? There are some really bad parts of Lake Dallas. But I do know some new construction is taking place there. I would recommend looking in Corinth - it's on the West side of 35 and is kind of its own little community - very nice, lots of new homes, the Oakmont division has its own schools, etc. You might be better off there than in Lake Dallas.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:46 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,389,712 times
There are bad parts of Lake Dallas ?

I tried to visit it a few weeks ago, but the exit was closed. I'm still beside myself how waterfront communities in TX are high crime areas with Trailer parks and former cotton fields are full of upscale homes.

Was there a memo someone didn't get ?

If you go out into the sticks in East TX, people pay up to a million to live on a lake, but here near the city (with a few exceptions like Lakewood), trailer homes and gangs.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
There are bad parts of Lake Dallas ?

I tried to visit it a few weeks ago, but the exit was closed. I'm still beside myself how waterfront communities in TX are high crime areas with Trailer parks and former cotton fields are full of upscale homes.

Was there a memo someone didn't get ?

If you go out into the sticks in East TX, people pay up to a million to live on a lake, but here near the city (with a few exceptions like Lakewood), trailer homes and gangs.
LOL!!! Boy if I took some pictures of some of the doozies out around by our lake house....... it is really kind of depressing. And this east of Dallas. Even Cedar Creek Lake has some true "gems", NOT! Right on the lake they have built some nice homes but you could be right across the street from an abandoned old trailer that someone is squating in. Lovely. The crap around us has really ticked me off. I've recently pulled up the lots around us and found some are owing back taxes. Next week - trip to the county tax office w/ checkbook in hand . Oh, and this is in an HOA w/ some strict codes that were written back in the mid to late 60's but no one has been abiding by them. Guess when I own over half the lots I can run for Pres of the HOA and enforce them.

As for Lake Dallas, it has changed a LOT in the last few years and nothing at all like it once was. From Carrollton to Denton now is nothing but homes, strip centers and development.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM

It just seems that if there was rebuilding to be done, it would be near the water. You had explained in a previous thread why some of these areas are so run down.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM

What can one get a Lake House for out there ? Hey, I'll buy one of the lots off you....do people put manufactured homes on these ? They make some pretty nice manufactured homes these days. Leave it there till retirement, then tear it down and build a dream home.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,674,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
What can one get a Lake House for out there ? Hey, I'll buy one of the lots off you....do people put manufactured homes on these ? They make some pretty nice manufactured homes these days. Leave it there till retirement, then tear it down and build a dream home.
Actually they are not supposed to have those out there but some do. I don't mind the ones that look like a real house. One of our friends that goes out w/ us all the time wants a lot too. They have a relative that works for one of the manuf. home companies and they can get repo's pretty cheap. I know they would keep it up really well so that I would not mind. It is the nasty that brings in an old beat up trailer w/ busted out windows, no doors, etc and leaves it on their lot that I can't stand. That and old beat up travel trailers and junk cars. Nothing worth a dime either.

Some of these are pretty darn cheap. For about 8 lots I'm looking at around $3500. None of them are lakefront but they do have access to the community pier and the lake is in view in some spots. Small area of only three small streets at a dead end peninsula too. Not bad. The place we have now is waterfront and combined it is 7 lots. Since we have that waterfront I'm not too worried about the others not being. I'm just wanting to get them and get them cleaned up and then sell cheap to someone I know well enough that would keep them kept up nice. I'll let you know how it goes when I get up there to check on these.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:33 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,123,575 times
I'm in Oakmont in Corinth, and I'd choose either this area or areas of Shady Shores which is also next to Lake Lewisville. Parts of Lake Dallas are nice and the new neighborhood mentioned in the first posting is being developed by Mercedes Homes, I believe. It's literally right off the part of Swisher Road that is being extended to connect up with the new Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge that will cross Lake Lewisville and connect at Little Elm and on to Frisco and the Dallas North Toll Road. Other areas of Lake Dallas have you humming the dueling banjo's theme from the movie, "Deliverance!"

Socketz, I think years ago, some of the new lakes were so far out from the cities of Dallas or Fort Worth that the only folks who wanted to be out there were the ones that either had farms nearby with old shacks, or they stuck a trailer near the water and made it an inexpensive get-away! I'm sure Mom has a better reason since she knows her real estate trends.

That's funny though about your comment and wondering if folks got the memo!! I say that all the time when I'm down in South America for work or play. For some reason, folks down there never got the memo either and all the areas up in the foothills of mountains (where the better views are and where the air is a bit fresher) are usually where the poor live and have the cardboard and wood shacks scattered all over the place. Those with some money are at lower elevations without much of a view! Go figure!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM

Mom - that's cheap. Why not just keep for yourself and grow your turf down there. Seriously, 3500 for multiple lots ? Maybe have your kids build a place out there when they grow up.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:35 AM

20 posts, read 63,913 times
Personally I live in Lake Dallas. True it has it's older areas. The town itself was mostly a weekend get away spot that drew mostly G.I.s returning from WWll. The older areas have a lot of cabin type structures that have been added on to, some in not so pleasing of ways. The area you mentioned is one of the newer developments and is very nice. My problem with Lake Dallas it self is that IT depends mostly on liquor stores and bars for it's tax revenue. Things stay quiet as we have a very hung ho police force that is known through out Denton county. Corinth is a little more expensive but I feel maybe a little better quality of living...did I say that with the right amount of correctness?.....But really the area you mentioned is away from the center of town which is where all the bar/liquor stores are. They will be widening Lakeview, that is the main street going into that addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas