Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:08 PM

80 posts, read 247,319 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating from Colorado and am looking at older communities how are Carrollton or Flower Mound...for families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,031,952 times
Those are newer - if you want older come to Dallas.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:29 PM

709 posts, read 3,464,063 times
Carrollton is a great place in my opinion. The parks and recreation system is awesome for families and the schools in the northern end of the district are doing awesome. Especially around Rosemeade, McCoy, Kent, and Rainwater- all elementary schools in CFBISD.
Carrollton is close to almost everything you would want or need access to. You can easily get to most areas of the metroplex from Carrollton via 121 tollroad, George Bush, I35, LBJ, Beltline, Valley View, etc.
It is close to several major hospitals... Plano Presby for one.
There are many churches in the community as well. Willow Bend Mall is near by as well as Vista Ridge Mall, although neither are Carrollton malls.

The far north section of Carrollton is the newest and provides many communities. Castle Hills (LISD), Coyote Ridge (LISD), Homestead (LISD), Moore(? not sure of exact name of sub division... located just off Hebron, west of Trinity Medical Hospital and east of Old Denton)(LISD or CFBISD...not really sure...beautiful homes from the road.)

As Lakewooder mentioned predominately it is new construction in North Carrollton or no more than 25 years old. Lakewooder's local is older and have a little more character.

Flowermound is nice and newer but honestly I think you would be happier in the Carrollton area location wise. My son attends swimming school in Flowermound and it seems so far out in comparison to the rest of the metroplex. However the airport is easily reached as well as Grapevine.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,398,569 times
Carrollton has gotten mixed reviews here.

You should do a search on past threads and dig through some of those as well.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,715,444 times
I'd also HEAVILY recommend taking a good tour of the place from one end to the other. Start on Josey at Belt Line and go north on Josey all the way up just past Hebron Pkwy. Then take Hebron over to Marsh Lane and go back south on Marsh to Belt Line. Check out Denton Drive between Belt Line and points northward. Drive up and down some of the east/west streets too like Belt Line, Trinity Mills (now home to more of Hwy 190 than Trinity Mills), Frankford, Rosemeade and Hebron.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM

once again a matter of opinion.... I expected some argument on this topic. Garland has the same issues ... Dallas has the same issues.... it is all a matter of opinion and what you want for your family. I personally would live where my family would most benefit. I offered an opinion and only an opinion.

"HEAVILY" drive down some of the streets in Garland and Dallas and I bet you will see some of the same issues. This is TEXAS. This is reality.

I chose to move to the north end of Carrollton because it was the area that best suited my child and I. I prefer the north end for a lot of reasons. I can honestly say though that prejudice is not one of the reasons.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 AM

Carrollton is very centrally located in the metroplex. I expect that in the next 10 years you'll see alot of rebuilding there and an improvement of its reputation.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:39 AM

socketz I agree with you. Location wise it is centrally located and for this reason I see many improvements on the horizon. DART Rail System is on its way and they are doing some major improvements to Beltline currently to make way for DART. I'm excited about the positive things Carrollton is striving and succeeding to do for it's community. Carrollton is a family friendly town just as is Garland, Dallas, Frisco, etc... it is just older than some of the newer areas. Except for North Carrollton. :-)

Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM

What's funny here is cities start east, then head west, then fill into the north.

The nicest part of Plano bumps right up against what I think is one of the least desirable parts of Carrollton. You could walk from one to the other. I go to Willowbend Mall and let my kids play at the little plyground there and almost all the parents I meet are from Carrollton, just a couple of miles away to the west.

It's really odd these major divisions that occur seemingly across the street from one another here....

Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM

264 posts, read 1,180,820 times
Carrollton has seen better days, but I do think it will be revived as people start moving back in closer to Dallas to escape traffic and "cookie cutter" neighborhoods. I grew up in Carrollton, and it makes me sad to see it has deteriorated (except far north Carrollton with all the new construction). I do think it will bounce back, though. Carrollton would be a good place to buy a fixer-upper, renovate it and rent it out or live in it to sell it for a profit in 5 - 10 years. Some of the schools are very good as well. You just have to do your research. I would suggest looking in a neighborhood called Country Place if you have small children. The elem. school is very good and the homes are larger and quite affordable. It also has a small country club with tennis courts, a 9-hole golf course and swimming pools. There are lots of family activities that take place threre throughout the year.
Flower Mound is nice, but if you are working downtown, the traffic is horrible! It is a nice, family oriented town with good schools and some gorgeous homes on nice chunks of land as well as typical quiet, suburban neighborhoods.
If you are working downtown, I would suggest looking in Richardson, Lakewood, and Lake Highlands as well. They are older, more established areas with better access to downtown than Flower Mound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas