Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times

Advertisements

The February issue of Richardson Today has a front page story on the new left turn signals installed at major intersections along Coit Road. The signals replaced the Left Turn solid green "ball" with a flashing yellow arrow as a way to expedite traffic flow through these intersections, by trying to make clearer to proceed into the intersection with caution. The operative word here being proceed. Has anyone noticed a difference? I still see people that don't know that they are supposed to proceed into the intersection to wait for an opportunity to turn left, and not wait behind the solid line, as is required for red lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
I don't like the lights and I still don't get out there in the middle of the intersection with the hopes of being able to turn left before it turns red. That almost always means turning when the light has already changed to red. But even then, when my light turns red and I'm out in the intersection, that doesn't mean oncoming traffic has a red light too. They're sometimes still green - esp at Belt Line and Coit.

So, I will just sit there being the line until I can make the complete left turn.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't like the lights and I still don't get out there in the middle of the intersection with the hopes of being able to turn left before it turns red. That almost always means turning when the light has already changed to red. But even then, when my light turns red and I'm out in the intersection, that doesn't mean oncoming traffic has a red light too. They're sometimes still green - esp at Belt Line and Coit.
So that was you! LOL. You would be able to turn left. You wouldn't turn in front of them, you just wait for them to stop and then proceed, you are supposed to yield. That's the point.

Quote:
So, I will just sit there being the line until I can make the complete left turn.
What about at an intersection that has no left turn arrow, just a green "ball?" If it is during a heavy traffic time, do you pull out into the intersection to wait - yielding of course, or do you find yourself sitting there through several light cycles, until traffic eventually dies down?

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-19-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
I hate those flashing yellow lights. I feel they have slowed down the intersections, mainly because people find them confusing.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
There are too many idiots that run red lights for me to ever feel comfortable pulling out into the middle of the intersection.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
So that was you! LOL. You would be able to turn left. You wouldn't turn in front of them, you just wait for them to stop and then proceed, you are supposed to yield. That's the point.

What about at an intersection that has no left turn arrow, just a green "ball?" If it is during a heavy traffic time, do you pull out into the intersection to wait - yielding of course, or do you find yourself sitting there through several light cycles, until traffic eventually dies down?
Yes! I do encounter this in front of JJ Pearce High School. One must be very aggressive to make a left turn there. No arrow. You have to just make the oncoming traffic stop by putting your car out there, so you can turn right in front of them even though they have the right of way. About 1 car a cycle can make that turn. It's so dangerous, but there's no choice except going a totally different route.

I cross or turn on Coit at least 4 times a day and usually 8+ times a day - at McCallum, Campbell, Glenneagle/Senior Way, Melrose/La Manga, Arapaho, El Pastel (no light), Arapaho, Roundrock, Belt Line, Spring Valley, Alpha.

I even remember when Coit was a dirt road and dead-ended at Campbell.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
There are too many idiots that run red lights for me to ever feel comfortable pulling out into the middle of the intersection.
Well, you do have to look. You don't pull out blind. But usually anyone running the red light would rear-end the cars already stopped at the red light. You can see if cars have accumulated at the stop and filled all the lanes. That is when you know it is safe. So go ahead and pull out.

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-19-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
This is my neighbourhood too, but I was off at college when they installed them. When I came back, I was mightily confused for a bit, but really its about the same as the green ball - I pull out into the intersection and yield just the same.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Yes! I do encounter this in front of JJ Pearce High School. One must be very aggressive to make a left turn there. No arrow. You have to just make the oncoming traffic stop by putting your car out there, so you can turn right in front of them even though they have the right of way. About 1 car a cycle can make that turn. It's so dangerous, but there's no choice except going a totally different route.
You make them stop? I don't do that. That's dangerous. I wait till there is a big enough gap between cars so as that isn't a problem. I do hate that light at Melrose/La Menga. It takes forever for the cars on Melrose to get a green. I avoid that light, just because it takes so long. But good, you get out in the intersection. That's how you treat the flashing arrow, or green ball.

Quote:
I cross or turn on Coit at least 4 times a day and usually 8+ times a day - at McCallum, Campbell, Glenneagle/Senior Way, Melrose/La Manga, Arapaho, El Pastel (no light), Arapaho, Roundrock, Belt Line, Spring Valley, Alpha.

I even remember when Coit was a dirt road and dead-ended at Campbell.
You are in my neighborhood. I'm on Huntington. I remember when I thought Campbell was sooooo far north.

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-19-2010 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
This is my neighbourhood too, but I was off at college when they installed them. When I came back, I was mightily confused for a bit, but really its about the same as the green ball - I pull out into the intersection and yield just the same.
You're correct. It means the same thing, but the CoR was trying to convey it better to the ones that didn't understand the proper protocal. I just noticed that it hasn't been very effective. People will still sit at the yellow arrow, when it is safe to proceed. The article say's,
Quote:
"Research has shown that a flashing yellow arrow is more clearly understood to mean 'proceed left with caution and yield to oncoming traffic' than the circular green ball display when used for making left turns."
To those that it wasn't clear with the old standard, is it any more clear this way? I do not see that it has made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas