Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,592 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are moving to Dallas at the end of June. I've been researching areas online and I'm a bit overwhelmed. My husband will be working at Southwestern Medical so we would like to live as close to there as possible. I just can't seem to find decent areas near that area. We have 2 dogs, so we would really like to have a yard. I would love to find a townhome with a small yard. What are some areas that have a short commute to SW Medical that I should check out? Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 06:49 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
The nearest 'okay' neighborhoods to SW are Oak Lawn, Uptown and State/Thomas.

Oak Lawn is nearest, zip code 75219 (in google maps, search the zip code), is along Oak Lawn Blvd and crossing Maple, Cedar Springs and Lemmon and abuts Highland Park on the north side. Oak Lawn sit beneath the Love Field airport glide path which creates a bit of an annoyance when jets take off. The area is under re-development and sports numerous townhome structures, some with small yards, many none. These townhomes are new and priced accordingly. Oak Lawn is frequently referred to as the gay area but with the new construction tends more to an upwardly pricey area. In the Oak Lawn area you probly will avoid the area between Cedar Springs and Harry Hines and probly don't want to look north of the Dallas North Tollway.

Across Turtle Creek from Oak Lawn is Uptown which also is redeveloping with townhomes and condos. Uptown runs along McKinney, between Turtle Creek and US 75. You're not likely to find many yards of any size here.

On the south end of Uptown is State/Thomas, named after two streets, State and Thomas... go figure. State/Thomas is also a re-developed area with a wide variety of structures, some of which may have some sort of yard.

Each of these areas will allow easy access to SWmed. Stay away from Revershon Park.

Last edited by WillysB; 02-20-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
A great place for you to look would be in North Oak Lawn. These are the streets north of Lemmon, between Preston/ Oak Lawn Rds and the Dallas North Tollroad. Most of the main streets (Hawthorne, Prescott, etc) are lined with duplexes, where you would have access to a yard (shared with your up/down stairs neighbor). Rents are around $1100-1500 for a 2/2 with garage and yard. They are charming old duplexes from the 1940s and 1950s. Many of the landlords are local, so it's best to drive around and call #s on the "for rent" signs vs search on the internet.

The neighborhood is in a great location, sandwiched between Highland Park (wealthiest & nicest area in DFW) and Uptown/Oak Lawn neighborhoods, where there is tons to do in terms of restaurants, bars, parks, shopping, etc. There is also a great Whole Foods on the western edge of the neighborhood and a huge field by a school that is in the neighborhood where everyone takes their dogs after work.

This would be about a 10 minute drive (Lemmon west to Inwood, Inwood south to SWMedical) to the hospital on surface streets (no highways).

Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
and probly don't want to look north of the Dallas North Tollway.
Um, the Dallas North Tollroad runs north & south, so looking "north" of the DNT would be some ex-burb way past McKinney....Prosper? Savannah? Celina?

Not sure what you meant to say here....

Old 02-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Um, the Dallas North Tollroad runs north & south, so looking "north" of the DNT would be some ex-burb way past McKinney....Prosper? Savannah? Celina?

Not sure what you meant to say here....
It's a matter of perspective but don't let it fret you. Maple is over there anyway.

Otherwise, what TurtleCreek says about north OakLawn. I lived there for a few years, walking my dog frequently most anytime of day or night. The streets Hawthorne/Prescott/Herschel have both the duplexes and new construction. It's a great area.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,592 times
Thanks everyone! You have been a big help.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 AM

70 posts, read 278,363 times
The neighborhoods mentioned above are good---Highland Park, University Park, Oak Lawn, etc...but
there are some great neighborhoods a little bit more north that are on the east & west side of the Tollway but south of I-635 (or as we call it: LBJ)--these would make for decent commutes.
You might consider Preston Hollow, Midway Hollow, North Dallas (but not far North Dallas.) The boundaries I'd suggest that encompass the PH, MH and ND areas are Northwest Highway to the South---Forest Lane to the North---Boedekker/St. Michaels to the east---and Midway to the west. You'd have easy access to the Tollway to get over the medical center and have a variety of price points for real estate.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanne View Post
You might consider Preston Hollow, Midway Hollow, North Dallas (but not far North Dallas.)
What's wrong with Far North Dallas? I have several neighbors that work at UTSW.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What's wrong with Far North Dallas? I have several neighbors that work at UTSW.
I suppose it all depends on what the OP meant by :
Quote:
would like to live as close to there as possible.
I had a business partner that lived in the M-streets, our office was in Two Turtle Creek Village. He didn't like going north of Northwest Highway because it gave him a bloody nose.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I suppose it all depends on what the OP meant by :

I had a business partner that lived in the M-streets, our office was in Two Turtle Creek Village. He didn't like going north of Northwest Highway because it gave him a bloody nose.
I would rarely venture beyond Hwy12... principally just not any reason to. But also a little to close to Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas