Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:56 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Says the guy who said that he hates black neighborhoods, makes snide potshots about the southern suburbs, and said that people who move to those neighborhoods are lowering their standards.

Not trying to stir up anything, just calling you out on your hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Original Poster,

You will find professional African Americans in every part of DFW. Don't limit yourself to a particular area. The southern burbs would be too far for you to travel for work. If you are single and working in Irving, I would suggest the Las Colinas area that feeds into the Coppell School District or Coppell itself. This will save you a lot of comute time if you were to live anywhere else. There are great high schools in that area for your son.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM

23 posts, read 62,513 times
Look at Little Elm, The Colony area. Not many apts but you can get a nice house for the same or cheaper then a lot of apts. All that with low crime and nice peolpe by the lake. We moved here from out of state 2 years ago and are so thankful we found this area as opposed to somewhere south....JMHO. Happy hunting

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
The Colony and Little Elm are nice communities, but they are further away from Irving than some of the southern suburbs that have been recommended. Those communities are also located in areas with more traffic congestion, which would lengthen the OP's commute.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,630 times
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think that I am going to try to find something in the Irving/Las Colinas/Coppell area for now. Can someone tell me what would be the average commute time from Irving to the south Dallas suburbs?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 PM

80 posts, read 195,104 times
I moved here last year for a position in Irving (Las Colinas). I lived in corporate housing in Valley Ranch and then looked for one-bedroom apts in Valley Ranch and Las Colinas as my home in my previous state hadn't yet sold.

I ended up staying in the same complex as my corporate apartment in the MacArthur/Cowboys Parkway area. Loved the location, the quiet and the diversity. I've since moved to a house, but can provide you with a bit more info if you like.

DM me if you want to chat more.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
Quote:
Says the guy who said that he hates black neighborhoods, makes snide potshots about the southern suburbs, and said that people who move to those neighborhoods are lowering their standards.

Not trying to stir up anything, just calling you out on your hypocrisy.
Well Im just calling out the double standard here. Its OK when black people want to live with their own kind but when a non black person does it its hate full and racist and looked down upon.

And just to let everyone know Im not white.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Well Im just calling out the double standard here. Its OK when black people want to live with their own kind but when a non black person does it its hate full and racist and looked down upon.

And just to let everyone know Im not white.
Well good for you!

Note that the OP did say she wanted a diverse neighborhood, but with black people. Maybe she doesn't want to be the only black person around for miles? Some people will see my color first and automatically make all sorts of assumptions about me. I can't speak for all black people, but I know quite a few who would prefer to live in a predominantly black neighborhood in order to shield themselves from these sorts of stereotypes. It may be "wrong" in some people's eyes, but it is what it is I guess.

I've seen people who ask for neighborhoods with Asians, Latins, Jewish, Gays, Muslims etc. And it doesn't seem to be a problem. But when us supposedly awful blacks do it, its a problem. Yeah, okay.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night and justify you're own attitudes.
And it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

For the record, I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood that is dominated by one race, but I wouldn't want to be the only black person around, just as I'm pretty sure that there are people of other races who wouldn't want to be the only one around. But everyone doesn't think like me, oh well. The reality is that lots of people tend to be more comfortable around their "own," when it comes to matters of race, income, class, etc. People say they don't mind living around people of other races, but demographic changes in many areas prove otherwise, and that people can and will vote with their feet when a certain tipping point occurs. Is it fair? Is it right? It may be, it may be not, but that is the reality.

I've said too much, tapping out...

Last edited by grindin; 02-23-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:36 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy24kids View Post
Original Poster,

You will find professional African Americans in every part of DFW. Don't limit yourself to a particular area. The southern burbs would be too far for you to travel for work. If you are single and working in Irving, I would suggest the Las Colinas area that feeds into the Coppell School District or Coppell itself. This will save you a lot of comute time if you were to live anywhere else. There are great high schools in that area for your son.

I would have to agree with post. There are professional African Americans in all parts of Dallas although a large precentage do live in the southern sector. I would still rather live fairly close to my job than commute a 1hr to get to work. I'm a AA if that makes any difference. Find place fairly close to your job and put down some roots. The area is very diverse and you will feel comfortable in any of them.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well good for you!

Note that the OP did say she wanted a diverse neighborhood, but with black people. Maybe she doesn't want to be the only black person around for miles? Some people will see my color first and automatically make all sorts of assumptions about me. I can't speak for all black people, but I know quite a few who would prefer to live in a predominantly black neighborhood in order to shield themselves from these sorts of stereotypes. It may be "wrong" in some people's eyes, but it is what it is I guess.

I've seen people who ask for neighborhoods with Asians, Latins, Jewish, Gays, Muslims etc. And it doesn't seem to be a problem. But when us supposedly awful blacks do it, its a problem. Yeah, okay.

But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night and justify you're own attitudes.
And it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

For the record, I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood that is dominated by one race, but I wouldn't want to be the only black person around, just as I'm pretty sure that there are people of other races who wouldn't want to be the only one around. But everyone doesn't think like me, oh well. The reality is that lots of people tend to be more comfortable around their "own," when it comes to matters of race, income, class, etc. People say they don't mind living around people of other races, but demographic changes in many areas prove otherwise, and that people can and will vote with their feet when a certain tipping point occurs. Is it fair? Is it right? It may be, it may be not, but that is the reality.

I've said too much, tapping out...
You didn't say too much at all. As a matter of fact............DITTO!!!!

I would be so bored in an area with little diversity. I hear people say Keller isn't diverse but it is quite diverse and we love it here.......14 years and counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas