Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

I am too looking to relocate to Dallas from Long Island New York. I am a 43 year old single mother of two but my youngest is 12 years old while my oldest (27) is staying in New York. I want an area of course, that is safe, great school and church. I work for a Health Insurance company and I want to do the same down in Dallas. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
There is a big Blue Cross Blue Shield office in Richardson, TX. That's a good location as far as finding good schools in a 10 miles radius (or more).

Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Why not just move to the best area regardless of color of peoples skin?
I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU DAVE!!!Go where ever makes you happy regardless if you are the only African American on the block!!! You are highly intelligent and are well deserving of an environment that makes you happy and places your child in a great school district irrespective to your race...I wish you well

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetty67 View Post
I am too looking to relocate to Dallas from Long Island New York. I am a 43 year old single mother of two but my youngest is 12 years old while my oldest (27) is staying in New York. I want an area of course, that is safe, great school and church. I work for a Health Insurance company and I want to do the same down in Dallas. Please help
I have a friend from NYC and his parents settled Desoto and love it.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU DAVE!!!Go where ever makes you happy regardless if you are the only African American on the block!!! You are highly intelligent and are well deserving of an environment that makes you happy and places your child in a great school district irrespective to your race...I wish you well
It seems like anytime someone wants to come live in DFW that is black, people automatically suggest Desoto, Lancaster, or Cedar Hill. Dont get me wrong, those are nice areas, but I cant help but feel this encourages segregation. The northern suburbs of Dallas are getting more diverse, so I wouldnt think that someone who is black who moved there would have to worry about being the only one. Im not freaking out because Im the only Lebanese guy at my apartment complex. My wife isnt freaking out because shes the only Thai woman in our complex.

I have good friends that live in Cedar Hill (white/Pakistani couple) and they love it. Its a beautiful area. But they could have easily said "Let live in Richardson, Plano, or Irving because there are alot more Pakistanis there". They didnt and they are very happy. The same could be said for a black family moving to a city like Plano or Frisco.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 AM

409 posts, read 1,045,083 times
LANative I could not agree with you more. We are a black family that choose Plano. We could not be happier here. I have not visited any of "black suburbs" that I keep hearing about except DeSoto. I did notice a lot of African Americans there but can't understand what is the big deal about that area. I am not knocking it but I certainly don't want to pick an area to live based solely on the number of people that look like me.

Last edited by taroberts; 03-29-2010 at 08:21 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It seems like anytime someone wants to come live in DFW that is black, people automatically suggest Desoto, Lancaster, or Cedar Hill. Dont get me wrong, those are nice areas, but I cant help but feel this encourages segregation.
LAnative10, you are a great poster and I agree with most of your comments on this forum. On this one, however, I respectfully disagree. As I stated last night on another thread, the southern suburbs are one of the most overgeneralized areas on this forum. In my time as a poster on city-data, people have gone so far as to state false demographic figures to portray the southern suburbs as "all Black," which sadly in 2010 still carries a negative connotation, as a way to steer the person expressing an interest in one of the southern suburbs (usually someone who isn't Black) to another part of DFW. This also encourages segregation and since this scenario occurs at a much more frequent rate on this forum than someone automatically suggesting a southern suburb for a Black family, it more of a problem. Mention of the area's diverse makeup, that it is mostly middle-class, or that median incomes and educational attainment levels have continued to rise despite demographic changes, are often omitted.

Regardless of the poster's ethnicity, I try and suggest the southern suburbs only to people whose stated criteria is in line with the area's communities. I know of others who seem to believe that their city is "a perfect match" for anyone moving to the area even when it isn't. Rarely, if ever, do the posters living in the suburbs south of Dallas do this. As much as I enjoy helping people with their inquiries, I spend a significant amount of time having to defend my community and the other southern suburbs when unverifiable claims, blanket generalizations, and "burb bashing" by people with poor knowledge of the area, take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
LANative I could not agree with you more. We are a black family that choose Plano. We could not be happier here. I have not visited any of "black suburbs" that I keep hearing about except DeSoto. I did notice a lot of African Americans there but can't understand what is the big deal about that area. I am not knocking it but I certainly don't want to pick an area to live based solely on the number of people that look like me.
Well I'm glad that you are happy in Plano, just as many are satisfied with living in the southern suburbs. I for one didn't pick my home and neighborhood based on racial makeup. Like most people, I selected a home that best suited my needs and was located in a well-kept, safe area. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, Duncanville, Glenn Heights, etc. that people move to because of overall desirability without race playing a role in that decision.

If I would have said that I can't understand what is the big deal about Plano, wouldn't you be a little offended? By the way, I'm just using that as an example because I would never say anything like that to you or anyone else.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-29-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
If I would have said that I can't understand what is the big deal about Plano, wouldn't you be a little offended? By the way, I'm just using that as an example because I would never say anything like that to you or anyone else.
No, as I said I am new to the area so I would not be offended for 2 reasons. One, I don't really care if someone says anything bad about Plano. Two, if someone asked me "what's the bid deal about Plano" I would tell them. I don't see what is there to get worked up about what I said. If you think that DeSoto is a "big deal" then tell me why. You may tell me something I didn't know about or think about.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
No, as I said I am new to the area so I would not be offended for 2 reasons. One, I don't really care if someone says anything bad about Plano. Two, if someone asked me "what's the bid deal about Plano" I would tell them. I don't see what is there to get worked up about what I said. If you think that DeSoto is a "big deal" then tell me why. You may tell me something I didn't know about or think about.
I'm not getting worked up by what you said. There is no "big deal," DeSoto is a diverse, middle-class community with nice neighborhoods just like other suburbs in DFW. Plano is nice and I have never said anything about the city that discounted its attractiveness or desirability the way others do here. You posted a comment, I posted a comment.

Last edited by Acntx; 03-29-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
I am AA and have lived in Dallas my entire life. Everyone has differnet criteria when it comes to finding a place to live. I chose Mesquite because I got alot of house of the money and they have decent schools. It was also close to the job I held at he time which was important to me due not wanting a long commute. I still love the area but have since switched jobs and enjoy a 1hr commute to Plano everyday. I enjoy the diversity of my neighborhood and as long as it stays safe I will remain her. I have no issue with anyone living in the northern burbs or the southern burbs are any burbs or the city of Dallas. Everyone has to find there slice of heaven . I try to give people information and debunk myths about many area's regarding DFW. There is no perfect place to live in DFW. Every area has it's positives and negatives and people simply need to weigh all options. For me commute time is very important. Who wants to spend 3hrs in a car 5 days a week. To others church, entertainment or top notch schools may be most important. Most folks here tout there neighborhoods as they should. The mistake many make is thinking there area is the one and only area one should call home. Everyone's taste is different and we should never forget this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas