U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM

13,183 posts, read 14,439,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanone View Post
I am commenting on this in order to bump this back to the top of the thread list. Can anyone else shed light on differences among the Coppell middle schools? I know they are all excellent...just wondering if one is favored over another (perhaps because of an excellent principle, special programs, location, etc) and why. Thank you!
Personally, Coppell West Middle seems like it's located in a business park area. Apart from the residential neighborhoods, a father drive, so that makes it a little less appealing in that respect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM

323 posts, read 602,571 times
Wilson Elementary parents I am friends with, complain that it is across the street from a trailer park and largely Hispanic with significant number of economically disadvantaged students, not very diverse demographics.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 AM

149 posts, read 542,340 times
As a parent at Wilson I will say upfront I am extremely biased to our school and of course think it's the best. We moved a year ago close to our first house to stay inside the Wilson zone. Anyway I have to disagree that the campus is not diverse. While it does have a sizable hispanic population it in no way is the majority. In addition to the trailer park across from the school it also has a large middle and upper middle class as well as beyond middle class population that is predominately white and also has a large Indian population that surrounds the campus as well. If anything it's an extremely diverse school. One of the many reasons we are really happy there. Guess I'm not friends with the same parents you are. Most of the friends I have at the school are extremely happy with the diverse demographics.

As for the previous poster asking about middle schools they are all considered good. The disadvantage of West is that it is not part of a neighborhood so no walking to school and set off kind of by itself but a great school non the less. I think you can't go wrong anywhere in Coppell. It's a matter of finding the neighborhood you like and then you will be fine with the schools wherever you end up!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM

287 posts, read 482,366 times
Thank you all -- after our move to the area we will only have one year in elementary school so I am really focused on responses to the middle and high schools in Coppell. I know the high school is excellent but was more curious about any differences among the middle schools. Everyone I speak with says there really is no difference among them which I find curious, but maybe that is indeed the case (aside from the physical location of Middle West).

Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,622,201 times
Here are the teams from Coppell that qualified for state MathCounts the last 3 years:

2010: West
2011: West, North
2012: West, East

If anything, this shows that West is BETTER than the others, not worse, as this thread seems to be hinting at.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
To be fair, the areas North of 121 (Coppell Greens and Riverchase) which are in Coppell city limits, are zoned for Lewisville ISD, but are eligible for open enrollment for CISD. Which means that as long as your student does not have a history of bad attendance/tardiness, they can enroll in Coppell ISD elementary schools. If they are enrolled in 5th grade at a Coppell ISD school, they are grand fathered into secondary schools. and don't have to worry about open enrollment. We live in Coppell greens and my daughter is a student at CISD. Also rezoning will be taking place soon, which may or may not change zoning to add these areas to CISD. Its a great area to live if you want to get into Coppell and want to live in a nice neighborhood, but cant afford a half million dollar house.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM

161 posts, read 245,327 times
What is the average price on the market in those areas?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM

1,171 posts, read 958,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppell_User View Post
To be fair, the areas North of 121 (Coppell Greens and Riverchase) which are in Coppell city limits, are zoned for Lewisville ISD, but are eligible for open enrollment for CISD. Which means that as long as your student does not have a history of bad attendance/tardiness, they can enroll in Coppell ISD elementary schools. If they are enrolled in 5th grade at a Coppell ISD school, they are grand fathered into secondary schools. and don't have to worry about open enrollment. We live in Coppell greens and my daughter is a student at CISD. Also rezoning will be taking place soon, which may or may not change zoning to add these areas to CISD. Its a great area to live if you want to get into Coppell and want to live in a nice neighborhood, but cant afford a half million dollar house.
Thanks for the information Coppell_User. Is this open enrollment for each year and for each grade? I did talk to CISD before closing home about open enrollment. We had some concerns about paying extra tax for new school when they are filling existing schools with non CISD students. They insisted it is only temporary measure to optimize their building maintenance expenses (They haven't bothered about LISD expenses). According to them, they ran into some issues (Hackberry creek) when they allowed open enrollment to everyone previously. So, they restricted to these specific areas. Not sure what happens during rezoning. It is going to be messy as CISD kept on rezoning some areas and busing lot of students (Specifically from Irving). We are closer to VR elem and Mockingbird elem, but our kid is going to Austin elementary. Not sure what criteria they are going to use for rezoning.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 PM

94 posts, read 193,697 times
Rezoning typically happens *within* a school district. Not between two different school districts. In other words, I wouldn't hold my breath for the non-CISD areas of Coppell to be rezoned into CISD.

There are a bunch of gotcha's to open enrollment, such as: Siblings are not guaranteed to be assigned to the same school. You must provide transportation, and all the schools with space are clustered in the northwest part of Coppell -- not too bad for the LISD-zoned Coppell residents (e.g. Coppell Greens), but a bit of a hike for the CFBISD-zoned Coppell residents (e.g. Riverchase). You have to reapply each year in elementary school, and can potentially be sent to a different school OR booted out of CISD completely. If it works, great, but I definitely wouldn't buy in to the non-CISD parts of Coppell unless I was completely fine with my actual zoned schools.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,808 times
All three of Coppell Middle Schools are excellent. I know CMSNorth is the newest/nicest building, strongest athletics and band programs and many students can ride their bikes to school since it is located so close to the park's bike trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: