U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 26,778 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advice from someone who knows if there is any jobs that I can get with a Bachelors in Art History other than museums? I have been working as a Cashier in a big box store for past eight years and want to make that step to change employment to something that is within my schooling choice but don't have the required experience needed for most Art Historian jobs. Thanks, any help or advice would be useful!

KH
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:22 PM

36,550 posts, read 56,109,625 times
brutal but frankly this is nothing I can think of in your field since it is basically an entry level degree they make you go through before you get an MFA or PhD--
if you want to teach or work in any type of museum with a rep you have to have at least an MFA from a ranked college and probably a PhD and some influencial contacts...

a daughter of someone my husband works with got her degree last year from Vanderbilt and is doing a paid-for MFA program at UT in Austin--UT and couple of other schools courted her with some price scholarship offers...in art history

frankly you might try getting sales commission job at art gallery
become a volunteer or docent at local art museums and hope to work your want into some type of secretary slot

or go back to school--although I think that is a crap shoot because you will be paying more in tuition than you can hope to repay from a min wage job...because you are just as likely to not find work AFTER going to grad school

my son has MA in creative writing in poetry plus BS in English/education--he has many friends with PhDs in English who are struggling to find a decent teaching spot in academia not to mention just work that pays well
now they are complaining that "the life of the mind" they though they were engaging when they took that route is not paying as well as a plumber--
which I could have told them before they started...

Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,048,989 times
Check out Heritage Auction Galleries in Dallas on Maple Ave. They seem to always be looking for Art Historians and they pay excellent.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM

Yes, I have already figured I may need more schooling but can't do that right now. I plan to investigate other options but just wanted to ask anyway. Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM

I looked at the Heritage auction site--a company I am not familiar with--you might stand a chance at getting job there but some of the postings ask for experience--which I guess you have not been able to acquire since you have not been working in the field..

I would think that their internships though are probably unpaid or min wage...
good luck...

Old 02-24-2010, 03:02 PM

I have been looking at libraries both public and college libraries as well for work. The problem I am facing there is they are looking for experienced librarians or have to have a Library Science degree. I was looking at aides or circulation desk but no luck yet. I am going as far as looking at office jobs.....

Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I know that libraries have plenty of library science grads applying for the shrinking pool of jobs--with city budgets getting tighter, libraries are often one of the first city services that get pinched...

but there are sometimes clerks/aides jobs that come open for min wage...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM

4,818 posts, read 6,627,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxh3011 View Post
I have been looking at libraries both public and college libraries as well for work. The problem I am facing there is they are looking for experienced librarians or have to have a Library Science degree. I was looking at aides or circulation desk but no luck yet. I am going as far as looking at office jobs.....
Well, yes. To be brutally frank. Offices are where you'll find the great majority of white collar jobs.

If you have any office skills like typing, working with MS Word, etc (and you should with a liberal arts degree) then my advice would be to spend time working as a temp so you can get some personal perspective about what it's like to work in different various types of businesses. Then if you find a business and a setting in which you are comfortable you can make personal contacts with the HR people, find a mentor, that sort of thing and try to turn it into a permanent career-track job.

Honestly, if you were my student or my kid I'd tell you the following.

1. You can pursue a career in art history but that's going to mean going the PhD route with lots of sacrifice and somewhat slim chances of finding a great job in a place where you want to live.

2. You can hover around the fringes of the art world, working in galleries, coffee shops, etc. But you're never going to build any kind of secure future with healthcare, retirement benefits, or even a middle class lifestyle. Which may not seem super important now, but it will, especially if you get married and/or have kids.

3. You can chose to separate your personal interests (say...art) from your professional life and search out some profession that you can find rewarding enough to stick with while you do the things you really like in your spare time. The vast majority of Americans really fall into this category. They tolerate their work because it provides them with the means to do whatever else is important to them in their lives.

The business world is always looking for smart articulate people who can communicate well, think on their feet and just generally be diligent about their work. And there are millions of liberal arts grads out there working in business. Because frankly that's where the money is.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the advice. Will continue the search....

Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM

did you try Heritage site???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas