U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 AM

114 posts, read 231,479 times

Advertisements

I am anxiously awaiting my day of arrival to Texas!!! It seems as though the summer can not get here quick enough. I have decided that I want to live in Cedar Hill it has the diversity that I am looking for. I want to hear from those that live in Cedar hill, the past and the present. What is your opinion of it? the things you like and dislike? I have been researching the Lake Ridge area but dont see very many properties for rent. Also, I am a RN what are the ER's/ Trauma Centers in the area. I have been looking into Methodist Dallas and Methodist Charleton and Mansfield, Presby, UT of Southwest, Arlington Memorial, VA and a couple of fort worth hospitals, however I really dont know what the commute will be. Can you please give me an idea of the commute, have you ever worked at any of the facilites, have you ever been treated at there ER, how do they treat there staff. Am I at a disadvantage as far as applying for a position because I am out of state?

I will greatly appreciate any and all info ( pro's and con's )

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 03:26 PM

I have read several post on Cedar Hill some old some new. I will like to know what is it like to live there as of now? Is there really a problem with air quality? What are the hospitals in the area, maybe 30min to half hr in either direction? Have you ever worked at any of these facilities or been a patient? If so how do they treat their staff? How did they treat you as a patient? Have crime increased in the area? Have the public schools changed in yur opinion for better of for worse?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM

216 posts, read 675,245 times
I have lived in cedar hill for almost a decade and I have never had any problems with air quality. There is a cement plant about 30 miles S of cedar hill in midlothian, but its been overplayed because, in my opinion, its in the south. There is a battery plant in Frisco supposedly spewing lead into the atmosphere but nobody ever seems concerned about that.

I have been satisfied with Cedar hill schools. All elementary schools are either recognized or exemplary. The 9th grade center is recognized, and there is even an exemplary highschool. I think that says alot since some top rated districts in the metro have unrecognized schools. Cedar Hill high school is also a power house in state athletics. My kids score very well in national norm referenced tests which, in my opinion, would not happen if the schools were bad....but then again my wife and I spend hours working with them after school.

I have never been a victim of crime. Ive posted a link before showing that the crime in cedar hill is about the same per thousand to cities that are considered safe, such as plano. Cedar hill is the shopping Hub for southwest communities.

Im sorry but I dont know much about the hospitals in the area. I do know though that Lake Ridge is breathtaking. You are fortunate to be able to live there. good luck and welcome

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM

Thank you!! I dont live in Lake Ridge. It is the area I desire to live in. I would like to rent first before I even consider purchasing and there isn't many homes for rent in Lake Ridge. I have to research other communities as well.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:56 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,726,828 times
Hospitals within a 30 minute commute: Methodist Charlton Medical Center, Methodist Mansfield Medical Center, Methodist Medical Center Dallas, VA Hospital, and UT Southwestern. Arlington Memorial and Presbyterian would probably be somewhere between 30-45 minutes depending on the time of day and traffic. The Fort Worth hospitals are further out.

Crime: According to the latest FBI crime statistics, which cover 2008, Cedar Hill did experience a slight increase in the number of crimes committed. This occurred in a number of cities across the area including Garland, Grapevine, Lewisville, Little Elm, etc. Even with that small increase, however, Cedar Hill's crime rate is comparable to most suburban communities in the metro area (here's a thread I created on the topic - 2008 DFW Crime Statistics by City). Nothing major took place last year, so a decrease is likely once those figures come out. It is still a very safe community.

The schools are doing well. The recent addition of a specialty 'early college' campus, Cedar Hill Collegiate High School, has been a big positive for the district.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-28-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 PM

4,197 posts, read 14,319,851 times
I was in Lake Ridge today doing an open house and I know the inventory pretty well . There are 7 homes on the market for lease ranging from $1600 to $4400. You can also look at the homes that have been on the market for sale for a long time (6 months or more) to see if the owners would consider leasing.

Naima

Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, i greatly appreciate it. I am anxiously awaiting for the summer to get her so I vcan finally leave Michigan and come to Texas. I will keep looking into Lake Ridge to see whats for rent or not and as the months get closer I will also see if someone is willing to lease there home as well. Do any of you have any pictures of Cedar Hill. I want to show the rest of my family what the area and community looks like.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,726,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrn2004 View Post
Thank you all for taking the time to respond, i greatly appreciate it. I am anxiously awaiting for the summer to get her so I vcan finally leave Michigan and come to Texas. I will keep looking into Lake Ridge to see whats for rent or not and as the months get closer I will also see if someone is willing to lease there home as well. Do any of you have any pictures of Cedar Hill. I want to show the rest of my family what the area and community looks like.

Thanks
Here are a few photos from Cedar Hill State Park:
Cedar Hill State Park - Dallas County

Another site that may be of interest to you:
Lake Ridge at Joe Pool Lake

Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 AM

5,174 posts, read 12,409,223 times
I know quite a few people who have started work at the VA hospital. It is in a bad part of town but the hospital has went thru a renovation and I have found the staff to be rather friendly (dads a patient). It's less than 30 minutes from Lakeridge. Leasing a home first would be the way to go. I live the Cedar Hill area but if you were to find a job in the northern section of Dallas the commute would be a killer. Find a job and then determine were you will put down permanent roots. Lakeridge is outstanding.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,391,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I know quite a few people who have started work at the VA hospital. It is in a bad part of town but the hospital has went thru a renovation and I have found the staff to be rather friendly (dads a patient). It's less than 30 minutes from Lakeridge. Leasing a home first would be the way to go. I live the Cedar Hill area but if you were to find a job in the northern section of Dallas the commute would be a killer. Find a job and then determine were you will put down permanent roots. Lakeridge is outstanding.

There is a fine hospital in Mansfield about 7 miles away from lakeridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas