Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 AM

14 posts, read 38,532 times

Advertisements

I did a search on uptown living and found some of it helpful, but I'm looking for something different than the 22 yo.

I'm 35 yo professional. I lived in Dallas 10 years ago, so the Uptown, Design District, West Village, Victory Park area is new to me. Knox-Henderson was only a weekend hang out place for me.

I am looking for a place to stay that will be somewhat quiet, but in a happening area where I'm close to coffee shops (for studying?) and/or bars, restaurants, etc. I'm not a party animal anymore, so the SMU crowdj/college partying every night is not as appealing. I like going out on the weekends and being able to walk or be a short drive from grocery store and food, etc.

I'm not one to have to keep up with the Jones'. I'm a regular guy that does well. I don't have to drive the nicest car nor do I have to wear coolest clothes.

So...sounds to me the Knox-Henderson area is cool?? I like the idea of West Village, but the reviews online are discouraging (lots of college kids and partying in the nice apts??) Not sure how much to go by that?? I know nothing about the Design District or Victory Park or rest of uptown really.

My question is from what little you know where's the best place(s) to live for me?
Any other comments/advice is appreciated about anything I've said.

Oh, I'm looking to be about 15 minutes or so from UT Southwestern.

thanks,
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
I think the design district is a bit removed from the SMU partying crowd in Uptown, West Village, Victory, so it might be quieter. I know a couple that moved into a new apartment in the design district and they said it's still a mostly empty complex.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM

326 posts, read 961,914 times
Knox Henderson or Downtown would probably be good... they both have a good mix of residents and are close enough to all the action but not party locations. Downtown has a variety of places: lofts, luxury apartments, historic properties, and the prices are generally lower than Uptown. From there it's easy to walk to Deep Ellum or Uptown and you'd have an easily commute to UT Southwestern via DART's Green Line which will open the Parkland Hospital station in December. Because places in the Design District are brand new, there's not many residential amenities in the area. There aren't a ton in downtown either (most within the past 10 years) but it's had a bit of time to grow into a community.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM

126 posts, read 443,264 times
Default We are in our mid-30s living in Uptown

I would highly recommend the State Thomas neighborhood where we live. It's much quieter than the West Village side with lots of lovely townhomes, brownstones, old Victorian homes and apartments. It's also close to everything -- McKinney Ave, the arts district, downtown, Katy Trail, Victory Park, etc etc. We walk to restaurants, our local coffee shop, and the cute antique shops and boutiques in the area. It's fun but not chaotic. Plus, we have two little girls and feel completely safe and comfortable here.

The only downside (to me) is that it can get a bit noisy on State Street on Friday/Saturday nights since people park over here and walk to bars/restaurants on McKinney. Had we known, we would have chosen a place on Thomas Ave or one of the side streets. Much quieter. Everyone drives down State St to get anywhere in this neighborhood so that's something to keep in mind.

Other than that, you will see a lot of young professionals zipping around in flashy cars and acting important. But I would say they represent about half of the residents, and the rest of us who don't care about that stuff just ignore them. We live around all kinds of folks and most are just laid back hardworking people who enjoy living in the heart of the city like us. Plus we absolutely LOVE being so close to the restaurants along Knox-Henderson.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of doctors and nurses in this neighborhood who work at Baylor and UT Southwestern.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM

229 posts, read 606,781 times
+1 on state thomas

Great recommendation for the side streets regarding the noise levels as well; I live directly on mckinney and the noise on fri/sat nights can be loud. I've finally gotten used to it though.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,191 times
I agree with MSPmom and codytravers on State/Thomas. That what I was thinking as reading your OP. State/Thomas is at the south end of UpTown, you'll find the two streets State and Thomas. Completely rebuilt with apts, condos and townhomes, it looks to be the more mature area (not as in old age . There is a WalMart Grocery/Pharmacy at the north end of State and Thomas, between 75 and the Emanuel Cemetery. And don't forget, the Ginger Man is just across McKinney on Boll St. The Philly Steak House has moved to... ??? someplace else.

The Med center is a short buzz up Harry Hines or Maple to Inwood and over. Easy drive home as well. Make no stops at Reverchon Park.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM

14 posts, read 38,532 times
Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate it. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering (anyone). I'm out of state right now and can't come for a while.
MSPmom thank you. Very helpful. Any specific suggestions on apartments? Or streets that have apartments that may be quieter? Would you live in Knox-Henderson? Marquis on State Thomas looks pretty nice.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM

59 posts, read 130,406 times
Hola,

Gotta throw in a plug for my new neighborhood . Right across the highway from St Thomas is the Bryan Place neighborhood. Quiet community feel, got some great condos with great views for less $. do a search on bryan place on this forum to see my thoughts on it.

Though, yeah walking to coffee shops may not happen... :-/ still gotta drive but close to everything!

Good luck!
Amber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: