Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 AM

645 posts, read 1,452,121 times

Advertisements

where should I stay? location wise

also, will I need a car to get around, or can I take a train, bus ect..
Help me out Dallasites...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post

Most of the places you'd want to visit, such as the downtown museums, the aquariums, Fair Park, the West Village, the Katy Trail, the McKinney Avenue Trolley line, Deep Ellum, Northpark, the White Rock Trail, downtown Plano, downtown Fort Worth, etc., are easily accessible by rail transit. The Mckinney Avenue Trolley is itself a charming ride thru one of Dallas' citylike and cute urban avenues. Other destinations, such as Bishop Arts District, the Old City Park village, the Farmers Market, The Design District galleries on Dragon and Slocum streets, Knox-Henderson, Highland Park, etc., are accessible via a short bus ride from downtown.

The cost of a DART day pass, good for rail and bus, is $4. You'd pay extra to go to Fort Worth. There is also a bus shuttle to the CentrePort rail station from DFW airport that will put you on a train to downtown Dallas.

There is a good visitor center on the ground floor of the County museum at Main and Houston streets.

I'd suggest staying in a hotel near a DART station. Any of the downtown hotels fill the bill, or there's a hotel near the Mockingbird Station.

Will you need a car? You might rent one for the day to drive around outlying areas, but in Dallas, as in every other major metro, tourists do not often tour the suburbs.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Yes, get a car.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Yes, get a car.
I'll have to disagree. You need a car if you are going to live in the suburbs and drive from one mall to another.

Generally, people who live here live in the suburbs and drive everywhere. If your sojourn as a visitor is to places like the Kennedy assassination museum, the downtown art museums, the Dalla World Aquarium, Reunion Tower, you're better off walking or taking a DART train. If you're going to go from a downtown hotel to the Fair park museums, why rent a car at $30 plus a $10 collision waiver and then try to find Fair Park thru unfamiliar and confusing streets? You can just tale a Green line train at $4 per day, and get off at a rail station IN fair Park.

Here's another example. You've left your downtown hotel, say either the Hyatt, or the sheraton, or some other, and you go to Mockingbird Station for dinner and a movie at the Angelika Art Film House. After the show, you go next door to Trinity Irish pub, sing a few Irish songs, drink a few beers. You're a bit tipsy.

What then? You get in a car and try to drive back half drunk to a downtown hotel? Or do you want to go to the DART rail station in the complex, and ride it 2 stops to a downtown hotel across the street from the Pearl street station?

Be careful... one of these choices may give you a DUI on your record and a $1,500 file plus $2,500 to a lawyer. And don't forget that you're walking into the court system as an out-of-towner.

Last edited by aceplace; 03-03-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post

Depends on what you want to see/do...

Old 03-03-2010, 10:40 AM

326 posts, read 962,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Most of the places you'd want to visit, such as the downtown museums, the aquariums, Fair Park, the West Village, the Katy Trail, the McKinney Avenue Trolley line, Deep Ellum, Northpark, the White Rock Trail, downtown Plano, downtown Fort Worth, etc., are easily accessible by rail transit. The Mckinney Avenue Trolley is itself a charming ride thru one of Dallas' citylike and cute urban avenues. Other destinations, such as Bishop Arts District, the Old City Park village, the Farmers Market, The Design District galleries on Dragon and Slocum streets, Knox-Henderson, Highland Park, etc., are accessible via a short bus ride from downtown.

The cost of a DART day pass, good for rail and bus, is $4. You'd pay extra to go to Fort Worth. There is also a bus shuttle to the CentrePort rail station from DFW airport that will put you on a train to downtown Dallas.

There is a good visitor center on the ground floor of the County museum at Main and Houston streets.

I'd suggest staying in a hotel near a DART station. Any of the downtown hotels fill the bill, or there's a hotel near the Mockingbird Station.

Will you need a car? You might rent one for the day to drive around outlying areas, but in Dallas, as in every other major metro, tourists do not often tour the suburbs.
I also think staying somewhere central like Downtown Dallas would be good, and you would only need a car if you wanted to explore some of the suburbs or other neighborhoods. The Sheraton, Hotel Indigo, Joule are probably best suited for this, but there's also the Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Regency (Reunion) and others downtown.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM

645 posts, read 1,452,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I'll have to disagree. You need a car if you are going to live in the suburbs and drive from one mall to another.

Generally, people who live here live in the suburbs and drive everywhere. If your sojourn as a visitor is to places like the Kennedy assassination museum, the downtown art museums, the Dalla World Aquarium, Reunion Tower, you're better off walking or taking a DART train. If you're going to go from a downtown hotel to the Fair park museums, why rent a car at $30 plus a $10 collision waiver and then try to find Fair Park thru unfamiliar and confusing streets? You can just tale a Green line train at $4 per day, and get off at a rail station IN fair Park.

Here's another example. You've left your downtown hotel, say either the Hyatt, or the sheraton, or some other, and you go to Mockingbird Station for dinner and a movie at the Angelika Art Film House. After the show, you go next door to Trinity Irish pub, sing a few Irish songs, drink a few beers. You're a bit tipsy.

What then? You get in a car and try to drive back half drunk to a downtown hotel? Or do you want to go to the DART rail station in the complex, and ride it 2 stops to a downtown hotel across the street from the Pearl street station?

Be careful... one of these choices may give you a DUI on your record and a $1,500 file plus $2,500 to a lawyer. And don't forget that you're walking into the court system as an out-of-towner.
Thank you soooo much, this was really helpful information. I will make sure to get a hotel in the downtown arean and get on the Dart train or bus. Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM

I have another suggestion. Try riding the #21 DART bus from downtown.

In the northern direction, it will take you through Uptown Dallas, arguably the city's most intriguing and urbane neighborhood, through wealthy University Park, including the environs of a university, and on to the NorthPark shopping district.

In the southern direction, it will take you across the Trinity river to North Oak Cliff and then to the Bishop Arts District, one of Dallas' quainter and more interesting neighborhoods.

Also remember to purchase the full daily pass for $4, rather than buying just a single fare at a time. The daily pass will allow you to ride buses as well as the trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas