Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
I agree that the Dallas should cater to singles as well. But most of these establishments cater to older males that are unattractive and even married - not the hip single crowd. Places like uptown and lower Greenville are hip because they are devoid of these adult oriented businesses.

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me you aren't serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM

164 posts, read 499,997 times
Of course these places cater to old guys with money that wants to exploit young girls with no money.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,370,174 times
Ever been? I doubt it.

Won't see too many old men or young women with no money.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,885,254 times
Quote:
Yes, Houston has more of these establishments but since when is Houston a city to model after? Houston also has more pollution, more crime and no zoning. We don't want to be Houston. Houston does not have more billboards than Dallas. Dallas is the city of cheesy billboards with no regulations.
Uh yah...

You don't get out much do you?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Uh yah...

You don't get out much do you?
I dont get it.

Youre the one who champions how many strip clubs, prostitutes, massages parlors, etc. there are in Houston because you seem to think its a good thing.

The OP is agreeing with you.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,885,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont get it.

Youre the one who champions how many strip clubs, prostitutes, massages parlors, etc. there are in Houston because you seem to think its a good thing.

The OP is agreeing with you.
I never said its a good thing.

Its just more out in the open & "accepted" if you will down in H-town. Dallas is more conservative in that it zones its districts a lot better to hide the blight vs. Houston with zero zoning restrictions. Not uncommon at all in Houston to see this sort of stuff down the street from schools & next to places of worship.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I never said its a good thing.

Its just more out in the open & "accepted" if you will down in H-town. Dallas is more conservative in that it zones its districts a lot better to hide the blight vs. Houston with zero zoning restrictions. Not uncommon at all in Houston to see this sort of stuff down the street from schools & next to places of worship.
And I dont disagree with that. But wouldnt that show that zoning is a good thing? I have no beef with people who want to visit prostitutes or massage parlors, but I dont exactly want prostitutes doing their trade by a grade school. I have a friend who is a school teacher for DISD at a school by Fair Park and they have that problem there. The kids there have been threatend by pimps and crackwhores before! I think thats awful.

Im happier when the people of Dallas who want a ***** or massage parlor go to Galleria Drive in Arlington (where there is a plethera of that crap including prostitutes and Asian massage parlors) because its hidden behind an industrial area vs going by Fair Park in Dallas or the Gulf Freeway in Houston. If they want to do it, great (llegalize it for all I care), but I dont want to see it.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times
Quote:
Dallas should strive for more of a family friendly image so that the current suburban families will again start thinking of downtown and other Dallas neighborhoods as viable options to reside and do business in.

If you want gentrification of old abandoned Dallas neighborhoods, and you want families and businesses to move back to Dallas from the suburbs, then start focusing on making the City more family friendly and cracking down on sleezy, shady establishments rather than promoting them
I think that the DISD is the primary reason that suburban families don't consider living in the city to be an option, not ads for stripper clubs along I-35 and NW Highway. Cheaper housing in the suburbs than in the desirable parts of Dallas also prevents many of those people from moving into the city. There are plenty of old neighborhoods in Dallas that have been gentrifying for decades (parts of E. Dallas, Oak Lawn and N. Oak Cliff in particular). The one thing that they have in common is that, generally speaking, the people who are rebuilding those neighborhoods accept and celebrate the diversity that surrounds them. Not everyone wants to live in a bland, Stepford-like environment. BTW, those "sleezy, shady establishments" are legal and they pay taxes. They also have a right to advertise. Billboards in general are unsightly, not just the ones that advertise for sexually oriented businesses.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,246,997 times
Quote:
I agree that the Dallas should cater to singles as well. But most of these establishments cater to older males that are unattractive and even married - not the hip single crowd. Places like uptown and lower Greenville are hip because they are devoid of these adult oriented businesses.

Yes, Houston has more of these establishments but since when is Houston a city to model after? Houston also has more pollution, more crime and no zoning. We don't want to be Houston. Houston does not have more billboards than Dallas. Dallas is the city of cheesy billboards with no regulations.
More crime? You can't be serious. Both cities are high yes, higher than the national average and are the same in rank so i don't know what you're talking about.

And pollution... Dallas is #7 in the pollution rank. Houston is #5. I don't think you should quite be jumping up and down for joy.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic but I have a special desire to dispute outlandish claims like these.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
More crime? You can't be serious. Both cities are higher than the national average and are about rank about the same so i don't know what you're talking about.

And pollution... Dallas is #7 in the pollution rank. Houston is #5. I don't think you should quite be jumping up and down for joy.
Dallas' murder rate is actually a higher than both Houstons and Atlantas.

But overall, the difference in Dallas and Houstons crime rate is minimal at best.

I agree, its nothing to jump up and down about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas