Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Did you get a ticket for doing this and are just upset about it? You really don't see the inherent potential hazard, especially on narrow residential roads?
No I haven't.

What is the potential hazard? How fast are you going through narrow residential streets where someone parking on either side of the street would be a hazard? I don't see how this could ever be an issue. There has to a higher chance of a satellite falling out of the sky on to someone than ever having an accident this way.

I'm done posting about this as it is the dumbest argument I've ever seen someone trying to defend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I think I explained why your argument was irrelevant in the situation of a neighborhood street where there are no lanes or "flows" of traffic. I guess reading comprehension is not your strength.
Obvously reading comprehension is not your strength because I specifically addressed that in my post, but here it is again for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
The excuse that this is somehow safer on residential streets is bogus. In fact, on narrow residential streets, these hazards might actually be more magnified than they would be on a wider street since there is less room for an escape path, there could be cars coming in both directions down the middle of the street, there might be kids playing in the street or cars backing out of driveways that you might not be able to clearly see for the reason mentioned above, etc.
You'll note that my comment about driving against the flow of traffic was a specific reply to a specific comment made by another poster.

Quote:
Also, "rediculous" is spelled r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s
Yep, you're right on that one.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
You don't have to understand that parking on wrong side is illegal you just have to not do it. A good reason for me is when you are parked correctly at night your reflectors help motorists while if parked the wrong way harder to see your car.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I think I explained why your argument was irrelevant in the situation of a neighborhood street where there are no lanes or "flows" of traffic.
Oh, and let me just add this: as I explained, the reason this is dangerous is because of the potential of not being able to see around a vehicle parked in front of you in order to see oncoming traffic. That danger does not go away on a residential street. That's the bottom line.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Oh, and let me just add this: as I explained, the reason this is dangerous is because of the potential of not being able to see around a vehicle parked in front of you in order to see oncoming traffic. That danger does not go away on a residential street. That's the bottom line.
well if one were to back out of the parking spot and continue down the road in reverse while staying in the right hand lane while facing the oncoming traffic behind you out your windshield then that would likely solve that problem wouldn't it?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
You don't have to understand that parking on wrong side is illegal you just have to not do it. A good reason for me is when you are parked correctly at night your reflectors help motorists while if parked the wrong way harder to see your car.
Last time I checked they were on both ends of your car.

Quote:
Huh? This does not make sense. traffic flows both ways. You have to look both ways.

There is one reason why you should, though. When you pull out you are going directly with the flow of traffic rather than into it.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well if one were to back out of the parking spot and continue down the road in reverse while staying in the right hand lane while facing the oncoming traffic behind you out your windshield then that would likely solve that problem wouldn't it?
Sure, as long as nobody is parked behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Huh? This does not make sense. traffic flows both ways. You have to look both ways.
Right. But as I explained before, when you park with your left wheels at the curb, your driver's side is also at the curb. Therefore, if there's a vehicle parked in front of you, your vision of oncoming traffic is blocked. You can still see behind you because of your outside mirror on the right side, but you won't be able to clearly see traffic in front of you until you pull your car most of the way out into the traffic lane.

Quote:
There is one reason why you should, though. When you pull out you are going directly with the flow of traffic rather than into it.
Exactly.

Last edited by TexHwyMan; 12-17-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
No I haven't.

What is the potential hazard? How fast are you going through narrow residential streets where someone parking on either side of the street would be a hazard? I don't see how this could ever be an issue. There has to a higher chance of a satellite falling out of the sky on to someone than ever having an accident this way.

I'm done posting about this as it is the dumbest argument I've ever seen someone trying to defend.
Yeah, that's probably best. However, what's dumb is arguing from a position when you are blind to the problem. I hope you don't drive that way, too. The problem is that by the time you are into the lane far enough just to see if any car is coming, your entire car is already entirely taking up the lane, potentially pulling into that lane without seeing any oncoming traffic.

Last edited by PanTerra; 12-17-2012 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Last time I checked they were on both ends of your car.

It makes sense. Maybe someone needs to draw a picture for you.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Except you can't see cars coming toward you until you are already in the lane. IOW, you have pulled out before you can see what's coming.

Last edited by PanTerra; 12-17-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas