U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 PM

6 posts, read 18,304 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am very interested in Southlake, Texas and wanted to know if it was a friendly place for an African American family. I have children that are in grade school so I am very sensitive to their needs and want to live in a place where other children would be accepting of them. If you know other AAs that live there and love it/hate it, please share their experiences. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 AM

4,197 posts, read 14,272,945 times
Southlake is predominantly white (90+%). City-data has the breakdow as you see through the following link //www.city-data.com/city/Southlake-Texas.html

I think it is accepting, you will also find that very very few people that actually live there are true Texans, most people are transplants.

Naima

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,269,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I think it is accepting, you will also find that very very few people that actually live there are true Texans, most people are transplants.
Pardon me, but did you really mean for that to come across as a suggestion that most "true Texans" are NOT accepting?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 PM

4,778 posts, read 7,997,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THP005 View Post
Hi, I am very interested in Southlake, Texas and wanted to know if it was a friendly place for an African American family. I have children that are in grade school so I am very sensitive to their needs and want to live in a place where other children would be accepting of them. If you know other AAs that live there and love it/hate it, please share their experiences. Thanks.
You should move to southern Tarrant county towards the Mansfield/ South Arlington area. Its a lot more diverse than Southlake.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,176,113 times
Southlake is very nice, it has excellent schools and lots of involved parents, and is VERY safe, has great park and rec and kids activites.

As others have stated it is not very diverse. This may or may not be an issue for you. There are families in southlake from various ethic backgrounds, just not many of them.

Look at Coppell as well (If it's close for commute) It too has excellant schools, parks programs etc... But it does have a much more diverse ethic make-up.
Plano is another area that schools measure up the same as Southlake.

I don't know of any AA that live there, sorry.
There is a AA dallas forum (someone has posted the link before) and you might get better insight from that site.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,006,907 times
If you want to live in an area with lots of blacks move to southern Dallas. Desoto, Lancaster, and Cedar Hill are good places to start. But I dont think you would have a problem in Southlake. And if you can afford Southlake it would be a better option anyway as its a better area then the southern suburbs.

Last edited by DaveG99; 03-09-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 08:50 AM

48 posts, read 248,476 times
This depends on what the question really is. I interpreted your question to be whether or not Southlake is accepting of African Americans. As a resident, I can say a resounding YES based on my interactions and observations. I have lived in Southlake since 2006 and I have never heard or witnessed any form of discrimination against African Americans or any other diverse group. Frankly, quite the opposite. We have "minorities" on the kid sports teams, at church, etc. different races, gays, old, young, etc.

Having said all this, if you are looking to be around African Americans, as has been pointed out, Southlake is not the best place. It is largely white. Just becuase the citizens dont discriminate and are accepting, doesnt change the fact that it is largely white.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM

33,206 posts, read 52,507,852 times
that reply (DaveG's) comes across as a little rude (at least to me)--
the OP did not ask to live in area with "lots of blacks"--
just whether or not her children would be more or less likely to be accepted and find Southlake an inclusive vs exclusive area...
frankly since most posters on this forum (including me are Anglo)--
I doubt we can say with any certainty one way or the other...

from what I know about what goes on in the elementary schools--ANY child having a birthday party and bringing invitations to school to hand out are normally asked/required to invite ALL students in that class to the party--so the school recognizes how insensitive to a child singling out one person over another for something like that could be--and tried to avoid preferential behavior...same with Valentines...or Christmas gift exchanges--if they are allowed--
frankly while it is true that there are not many AA living in Southlake--that I think is mainly a function of money--
IF you can afford to live there, then I think most people would think you were doing something right...I am sure that since Southlake contains a higher % of people from out of state than native-born Texans or at least people native to Southlake area--that most of the people have lived in proximity to AA before...and that many of them work in organizations where AA are part of the staff...

just remember that AA make up about 12% of US population -- and that the median/avg household income in Southlake is 160K+ --- over 3 times the avg houshold income in TX---
so it just stands to reason that there would be fewer AA household there--

and frankly when I shop in Southlake I see mixed families as often or more than both AA couples...at least in my experience...
and I don't know if that makes a difference to the OP--

Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM

13,390 posts, read 23,236,537 times
Southlake isnt a racist place, but dont expect to be around alot of other African Americans.

The easiest way to say it is that if all youre looking for is for you and your family to be accepted, then Southlake will work fine for you. If you want to be in a places with a decent sized African-American community, it wont work for you.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM

3,003 posts, read 4,729,506 times
You shouldn't have a problem in Southlake. As mentioned already, it's not a very dirverse area though.

You may want to check out Keller to the west of Southlake. I've noticed an increase of Black families moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas