Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout1 View Post
Do not move no where in Northeast Dallas, Texas zip codes. 75243, 75231,75238 stay away far from Forest lane and Audelia in Dallas 75243. Whitehurst st and Fair oaks area. Skillman st. And Audelia and Adleta area. Walnut st and Audelia. All those are high crime infested areas. Very Ghetto a lot of lil gangs. Thieves, just a lot of lowlifes walking in that area. VERY DANGEROUS AREAS WITH HIGH CRIMES.
I have friends that have lived in one of those zip codes for 20+ years and they haven't had any problems. Having said that, there are some areas which are safer than others so you need to do your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,221 times
I just registered today and this is my first post, so factor that in with whatever credibility you feel it warrants. However, I saw this thread and felt compelled to register and offer for consideration the knowledge I have of the area discussed.
I am no longer in that line of work, but I spent approximately 20 years in the multi-family property management business in Dallas. I specialized in problem properties in problem areas. Essentially, if you owned an apartment complex that was run-down, suffering from low occupancy, high turnover in residents and/or staff, crime-ridden, drug-infested, in trouble with code enforcement inspectors, etc. and despite your best efforts you were unable to keep the property from continuing to be a nuisance to the neighborhood or your portfolio, you hoped to find and hire someone like me who would and could manage the property and make those problems go away.

My knowledge of the area dates back to the late 80's early 90's in the Abrams/Skillman area, early to mid 90's in the Walnut Hill/Audelia area, mid to late 90's in the Vickery Park area around Park Ln. & Greenville Ave., back to Vickery Park area from 2001 to 2004, Walnut Hill and Kingsley area near 635 in 2005, and the 9000 blk of Forest Ln. area from 2007 to 2009.

What I have observed over the years is an expansion of the high crime areas and deteriorating neighborhoods from the Vickery Park area in the late 80's/early 90's to now include areas as far North as at least Forest and Walnut St., and as far East as Walnut Hill Ln. and 635.
Within that broad area of Northeast Dallas are pockets (referred to as Reporting Areas by Dallas Police Dept.) that are as statistically as bad as the worst crime areas anywhere in Dallas.

Yes, it is true that you will also find within that area some very nice neighborhoods. Lake Highlands, for example, is arguably one of the finer neighborhoods in Dallas, with a strong and vibrant Neighborhood Association very active in fighting to protect and preserve their neighborhood. However, the nice neighborhoods that do exist are literally surrounded on all sides by some of the highest crime rates in Dallas. To the casual observer passing by, particularly during the day, it may not necessarily look like what you would expect from high crime areas, but the crime is there just the same.

Specifically to the question asked, do not move anywhere in the 9000 block of Forest Ln. I would advise caution for the 9000 blk of Walnut St. due to proximity. It was mentioned that there was a gated condo community that looked nice. I don't know which community was intended, but I know of a nice, gated condo community in the 12100 blk of Abrams which is in that area. I had a friend that lived there in 2007. It was nice, and may still be, but there were problems with the apartment complexes around it. I would ask how comfortable would you be inside that gated community if you could still here seemingly non-stop police and ambulance sirens in the neighborhood and the somewhat regular sound of a police helicopter circling above?
I know it may sound like I must be exaggerating the situation to some degree. I can understand such a thought from someone not as familiar with the area. To that I would offer a couple of ways to verify the information. One is to research the crime statistics via the Dallas Police Department website. They have a good, fairly user-friendly, interactive map for that purpose and it's something everyone should do anytime they're considering a move. The second method of verification I would suggest is to book a room for the weekend at the Budget Suites Hotel located at Forest & 635. It's in the middle of the 9000 blk of Forest Ln. Spend a weekend there listening to and observing your potential new neighborhood.

Dallas is the greatest city in the greatest state in the country. It takes some getting used to, but you'll grow to love it much sooner if you can avoid inadvertently moving in to the wrong area at the start.
This is just one man's opinion.
I hope you find it helpful.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 PM

67 posts, read 259,017 times
Try looking at the Copperfield community near the intersection of Royal Lane and Skillman Street. The property consists of patio homes, condos and townhomes. There is one accessible way in and out of the community. Very low crime. There are crappy apartments nearby, but also very nice single family homes that sell for $350k and up. In the Lake Highlands area/northeast Dallas.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
I would look at the big apartment areas in Dallas and avoid them. Dallas Morning News did an article that labeled top 22 worst crime areas in Dallas and almost all had common points. Pawn Shops, Big Apartments in almost rundown conditions and lots of pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas