Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 31,739 times

Advertisements

If you werent served with papers it might mean that the court won't award a money judgement against you. In NY its to be served personally, or they just get the eviction, not the money judgement. They may keep your security deposit. Usually the eviction ends the rental agreement, so if they evict you, the lease ends at that point and your financial responsibility. Usually landlords don't want to leave the unit vacant cause they dont always collect on judgements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

40 posts, read 225,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp051988 View Post
This is a confusing situation, but I will try to explain my best. A room-mate and I lived in a loft in Dallas. We agreed that all bills and rent would be split in half (roughly $700 total each). Everything went great for a few months, until one day when we got into a verbal argument. The Room-mate and I were arguing over some bills, and the fact that he was throwing a raging party with alcohol, weed and god knows what else the night before, when out of no where he hits me across the face. Him and his two brothers were there, and me being a somewhat petite female, became very scared. So I ran to my room, locked the door and called the cops. Him and his brothers fled the scene. The cops arrived and surveyed myself and the scene. A police report was made, filed and he was charged with assault. Within the hour of this happening, I went to the office and told them what happened. They were all great, and trying to help me. they all felt terrible and were even trying to find me another apt. in their building. It was unsuccessful, so I sat with the manager and gave my notice. I moved out that afternoon. I emailed my notice of moving, and they all knew why. A week or two went by and I talked with my ex-room mate (i moved into a hotel) and stated that I would try to get him a new room mate, even though I wanted nothing to do with him. I posted an ad on Craigslist (I have the ad and all the responses), then a week or two later I heard from my ex room mate. He stated that he found a room mate and that the lease would be signed next week, which i had to be present for. he said he would call. I never heard from him. So in an attempt to have Rent a center come get their furniture (the roomie stated that he was out of town on business then out for a vacation for a few days). So what happens? I open the door to the apt. and all of his stuff is gone. he has fled the apt. and there is a 72 hour notice on the door, and its the third day. The apt, refuses to take me off the lease, stating that they need a second person on it. There is a fake lease from a fake person in the file that never got signed. The roomie left his old car in the parking garage, left junk in the apt and disappeared. Now im left with this nasty eviction, of which i have not revieved any paperwork for and was told by the office "I have direct orders not to talk to you about anything" So to this day, I dont know what my eviction amount is, when the court date was or anything. I want to get my name off the lease, and get out of the eviction amount....if THAT doesnt work, I want to go after my old room mate. I feel i shouldnt be charged since i left due to HIS VIOLENCE AGAINST ME. now, where do i get started? how do i find out what my eviction amount was (they had my forwarding info by the way). and where do I stand legally? It seems that lawyers are too busy to talk now days, I just want some answers. Thanks, I really appreciate any advice. PS> The roomie is also claiming that he gave me 750 cash for a month, and it didnt get paid toward rent. he claims I stole it, which of course never even happened. He just doesnt want to take ANY responsibility.

The roomie saying he gave you cash will not hold up. The burden of proof is on him. HOwever, it's a sticky situation. I would write down everyone you talk to, date, and time. This will come handy in court. Also state everything everyone says. Maybe call Texas Apt. Association and get advice. If you are on the lease they have to talk to you.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
What do you mean there is a "fake lease"?

If there is a fake lease then you are off the hook. It's so much harder for an apartment to sue for any rents if there is no valid lease involved.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
the OP posted in March one time--then nothing until someone else made a comment yesterday

OP is not listening anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: