Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 66,772 times

Advertisements

What are the people of Highland Village like? Are there racial issues there? It's a beautiful area compared to other nearby cities. I like the fact that there are mature trees and hills. I know I've read reviews on city data about racism being a big issue, but I'm not sure if it was in just Highland Park or Highland Village as well. I know they are 2 very different places, but they have similar names and I think I may have confused some of the threads and I can't find them now that I'm looking for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Highland Village is the same and different from Highland Park. Highland Park is THE premiere community in Dallas proper--Highland Village is an "upscale" suburb 45 minutes away. I'm pretty sure Highland Village started out as a vacation spot for Parkies, though--hence, the name. I'm going to guess anything that you read about racism was probably written about Highland Park (though that whole issue is a different debate anyway)

Highland Village is still going to be a lot of white upper-middle class families with kids--but you are going to find much more diversity than Highland Park. Great schools, nice area. Right on Lake Lewisville too.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
It's a very nice area, I live right down the road.

Upper-middle class, excellent schools, nice houses. It will be mostly white, but not entirely.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
My ex-college roomate lives in Highland Village (Afro American). I was of the best kept secrets in the DFW area. Little diversity is not always the samething as being racist. In most cases economics plays the crucial part for the make up of a community.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Little diversity is not always the samething as being racist. In most cases economics plays the crucial part for the make up of a community.
I couldn't agree more..I don't know how many threads I have read that state this in the context of lack of diversity being a racial issue. Not true at all, its' socioeconomic more than anything. Most people don't look for homes having no minorities as part of their home buying criteria. Unless they are stupid of course.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 AM

85 posts, read 199,564 times
My sister (black, African-American) & her family lives in Flower Mound which abuts the Highland Village area. I also grew up in the area as a kid as well.

When I go back to visit DFW, I'm amazed at how much the FM & HV area has grown over the many many many yrs, lol, from when i grew up there (as part of my childhood)

There aren't MANY African Americans in the area nor Asians. However, there are many more in the Flower Mound & Highland Village area compared to when i was in school there. I think transplants, progression, etc has added to influx of socio-economic diversity and more minorities moving into the areas which were once overwhemingly white in the '80s early 90's even.

I don't think you will have any problems in Highland Village. You will have people who will always stare, "wonder how you could possibly live or afford the same neighborhood", fear, blah, blah, etc. Let them hate or wonder and just do you and laugh at them and move on.

As for the schools, you definitely see more blacks at Marcus & Flower Mound HS compared to the '80's/90's. Maybe not "tons" but it's not like Highland Park per se where you can count on 1 hand the # of blacks at HPHS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas