Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,156 times

Advertisements

I moved to DFW this past August and got a job after just 3 weeks of searching. Yes, lucky I know. Within a few DAYS I knew this job was not for me but decided to keep it until I found another. Since starting here in September 2 coworkers who started AFTER me have found better jobs and have left. One coworker I would admit has just as much education and experience as I do. The second one (who I just found out is leaving for a g'ovt job) has less experience and less education.

I have sent out my resume to 100's of companies and have filled out 100's of applications and I have only landed 1 interview since I got this job. That interview did result in a job offer that after fell through due to a "reorganization in company structure."

Any suggestion what I am doing wrong or what I am not doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
the person you say left for govt job--from what I know about govt hiring practices--could have had that in the works for more than 6 months--from initial application to interview to job offer--
the govt moves very slowly--

keep trying is all I have to say

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
It could be something on your resume that is working against you. You may want to have someone review it/criticize it.

Naima

Old 03-22-2010, 03:24 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,815 times
What is your field?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM

70 posts, read 265,157 times
In my experience, landing a job is all about networking. It's possible the two in your company who left for better jobs knew somebody at the company they applied at and they were able to get an interview that way. Jobs are finally becoming more available but since there are soo many still unemployed or those like yourself who have a job but are looking for something better, the competition is fierce. I'm also currently looking since my company is laying everybody off next month and I found that when I just applied online for a job, I wouldn't hear anything. When I reached out to friends who either worked there or knew somebody who worked there and they were able to submit resume as an employee referral, I would get a much better response. Try LinkedIn, it's a pretty decent professional networking site.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM

I have had my resume looked at numerous times and also have had it redone. So, I do not think that is the reason. But hey I could be wrong.

I am in Finance and I constantly see tons of jobs. I really just wonder who they are hiring???

As someone mentioned networking may be my issue. I think most employers out here don't want to hire someone with mostly out of state experience. On the east cost people move around so much that it is not really an issue out there but here for some reason it seems to be.

It's really hard to network when you don't know anyone. People say Dallas people are friendly but I don't really agree with that. I am not saying they are rude but definitely not overly friendly. We purchased a home here 4 months ago and not one neighbor has introduced themselves. I am not offended as I lived in Baltimore 10 yrs and only one time (in all the various apartments I lived in) did a neighbor actually knock on my door and introduce herself.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,329 times
I thought you knew, everyone in Dallas is uber-friendly, the houses are super cheap, and jobs are plenty for all to go around.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I thought you knew, everyone in Dallas is uber-friendly, the houses are super cheap, and jobs are plenty for all to go around.
Actually I agree on the houses and the jobs...the people...not so much but I as I said I am from back east so that does not bother me.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
I have had my resume looked at numerous times and also have had it redone. So, I do not think that is the reason. But hey I could be wrong.

I am in Finance and I constantly see tons of jobs. I really just wonder who they are hiring???

As someone mentioned networking may be my issue. I think most employers out here don't want to hire someone with mostly out of state experience. On the east cost people move around so much that it is not really an issue out there but here for some reason it seems to be.

It's really hard to network when you don't know anyone. People say Dallas people are friendly but I don't really agree with that. I am not saying they are rude but definitely not overly friendly. We purchased a home here 4 months ago and not one neighbor has introduced themselves. I am not offended as I lived in Baltimore 10 yrs and only one time (in all the various apartments I lived in) did a neighbor actually knock on my door and introduce herself.
Just a thought, maybe you asking for to much $$, or your "over" qualified....which I have heard a lot. I've lived at my current home for four years now and don't know all my neighbors. I believe in the life we lead now we a re to busy to "get to know" your neighbors.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Where did you buy a home? My neighborhood is super-friendly, maybe yours is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas