Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have tried and tried to find out what to do with our sharps. I have asked every doctor I have and none of them know. I have called the fire department, the hazmat department, the sanitation department, the hospital... no one knows. It's been two years and we have quite a few needles! Anyway, anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM

26 posts, read 64,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
My husband and I have tried and tried to find out what to do with our sharps. I have asked every doctor I have and none of them know. I have called the fire department, the hazmat department, the sanitation department, the hospital... no one knows. It's been two years and we have quite a few needles! Anyway, anyone know?
Hi SepiaZelda,

I would suggest you go into your search engine and type in "Dallas Medical Waste Disposal." When I did it, I got several in Dallas and surrounding areas.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rose View Post
Hi SepiaZelda,

I would suggest you go into your search engine and type in "Dallas Medical Waste Disposal." When I did it, I got several in Dallas and surrounding areas.
I did that but it appears that all of those companies only service medical professionals.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
Have you checked around with the local hospitals? We take our daughter's needles to Scottish Rite for disposal. Also I know that both my mother-in-law and father-in-law (divorced) order their needles online. The companies they order from offer, for a nominal fee, a bio-hazard container for a disposal. Once the container is full you slap the return label on it and ship it back to them.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
Have you checked around with the local hospitals? We take our daughter's needles to Scottish Rite for disposal. Also I know that both my mother-in-law and father-in-law (divorced) order their needles online. The companies they order from offer, for a nominal fee, a bio-hazard container for a disposal. Once the container is full you slap the return label on it and ship it back to them.
Hmmmm! I wonder if they would notice that the majority of the needles in their boxes are prefilled seringes we didn't order from them? I did check with Baylor and they couldn't tell me anything. Isn't this the oddest thing?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM

I doubt they'll inventory the contents. I hear it's not safe to handle those things once they're used.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I doubt they'll inventory the contents. I hear it's not safe to handle those things once they're used.
I've heard that, too.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
How about asking at a Walgreens or CVS pharmacy? They might be able to point you in the right direction. It does seem strange that this info is not readily available.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,565 times
Too bad you don't live in Houston. Hobby Airport has sharps' disposal boxes in every men's room.

Don't ask me why.

The other alternative is this: slap a hazmat sticker on the box and walk into your nearest hospital with it it a grocery store bag. Leave it on the floor outside the nearest lab. I guarantee it will be disposed of, quickly and correctly.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Of course if the security guards see you, there might be an interesting story to embarrass you kids down the road too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: