Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,519,745 times

Advertisements

We're looking to rent in May/June in the White Rock area. So far, I've been stuck on the M Streets/Lakewood area and haven't really looked on the east side of the lake.

From the little time I spent driving through there, it just didn't seem as nice. I'm also wondering how much time it would add to a commute (I'll be going to Plano, he'll be going to the Parkland area)

Any thoughts? Is one area safer than the other? I know at one point going south to I-30 the area got really seedy really quickly--is this Casa Linda, or am I out of the loop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,442,312 times
Casa Linda is the area around Garland Rd and Buckner - south toward the train tracks (an over pass over Buckner). Do you know what street you were on when you were driving south toward I-30?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,571,926 times
The main route from Casa Linda south to I-30 is Buckner, and yes you will get some seedy once you are south of Ferguson Road. Lots of low income apartments. But there is some seedy pretty close to the M Street neighborhoods as well once you head to the south and southeast. Seedy happens.

I like both areas myself. The M Streets are closer to the "hip areas" of Dallas including uptown, downtown, etc.. But Casa Linda and esp. Lakewood has it's own character and charm. Most older houses in the M street areas tend to be smaller, and you will probably get less for your money. Of course, they're pretty small in parts of Forest Hills too (just southeast of Casa Linda).

Bottom line - drive around some more, look at plenty of homes if you can, and see which one appeals to you more.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,008,861 times
The west side of the lake (Lakewood/M-Streets/Old East Dallas) and the east side of the lake (Casa Linda, Casa View, Peninsula, Ferguson areas/Buckner Terrace etc) are just totally different areas. They don't have that much in common except that a lot of folks who live on both sides can be unconventional/independent and aren't impressed with Park Cities/North Dallas and the ethos which spreads up to Oklahoma. Some can well afford that and reject it, others cannot afford it but disdain it..

You do however see a bit of mixing when it comes to the areas just north and south of the lake - Lake Highlands, Old Lake Highlands and Forest Hills and Little Forest Hills. FH is akin to Lakewood proper and LFH more like Old East Dallas/Deep Ellum.

However it's probably a bit silly to overgeneralize at all about Greater East Dallas...it's very heterogeneous and we like that...ergo you must do a lot of exploring.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
The main route from Casa Linda south to I-30 is Buckner, and yes you will get some seedy once you are south of Ferguson Road. Lots of low income apartments.
That was it. I guess we are okay if we stay north? My fiance is due for a lot of long nights and some 36 hour shifts in med school and I just want to be in a place where I feel somewhat safe alone at night. I guess it really just all depends on what you see when you drive around--there were even some parts of the M Street area that didn't strike me as a place I would want to live--right next to beautiful areas!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Casa Linda to Plano is NOT a fun commute. I did it for about 6 months in 2001 before our house sold. It took an hour to get to Legacy and the Tollway, and then an hour home again in the evening...

Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,442,312 times
I live near Casa Linda around Buckner/Ferguson. I feel as safe here as I do anywhere else. We have an alarm and it helps make me feel better when my husband travels for work.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 PM

264 posts, read 621,829 times
What are you looking for in terms of size/amenities?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 PM

A small home or duplex (most likely a duplex), at least 900 sq/ft, 2 bedrooms, or 1 bedroom + another living area of some sort. Ideally under $900/month. Know anyone?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,567,552 times
My wife and I looked at places East and South of White Rock Lake. While it's not a change in commute distance, the time it takes to get out of those areas and head East and/or North had us change our thinking. We decided to stay East or North. East = Lakewood + M-Streets, with M-Streets being the more Eastern area. North of the lake includes Lake Highlands and Old Lake Highlands, with LH being the more Northern and Eastern area. In the end, we selected a home in area code 75231. It's got good access to I-635 and US-75 (Central Expressway), which works very well to keep both our commutes down. It also offers a short drive to Uptown + Knox/Hendersen + Lovers/Greenville, which is where we tend to spend our leisure time going to shops/restaurants. M-Streets would have been even closer to these areas and also offers a great work commute - but we decided the 25-30% housing premium compared to Lake Highlands to be the decision maker in why we selected Lake Highlands.

We're hoping that in 2012 or so, the Lake Highlands Town Center will offer us another good option for shops and restaurants. Plus, Lake Highlands does have some real gems of local eateries once you get the feel for the area. Tony's on NW Highway/Ferndale is incredible, has great prices AND has no "corking fee" for bringing your own wine - Tony's is probably our favorite place in LH. I'm glad it's not within walking distance of our house though, or we'd probably have worn a path between our front door and theirs.

I was reading an article about an apartment complex really close to Tony's a while back - it's on Ferndale, north of NW Highway, at the top of the hill on your left if you head North on Ferndale. The name escapes me, but the article talked about how well managed/maintained the place is and how many long-time residents they have because of it. The prices they mentioned were well within your range as well. Sorry I can't remember the name - maybe someone else here knows it?

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: