Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 76,004 times

Advertisements

1) Would you say Dallas is an easy city to meet new people in?

2) If you're new to Dallas, what are the best places and activities to meet people?

I know it's all about how outgoing and active you are, but at the same time, some cities are easier to meet new people than others and it's all about knowing where to go and what to do.

i.e. Raleigh, for instance, shuts down at 5pm, everyone goes to the burbs, and it was nearly impossible to meet new people there.

In Baltimore, all you have to do it sit in a Canton or Fells establishment and you'll meet new people.

In Southern CA, joining a social activity network (that plays sports, poker, etc together) is really the only way you're going to easily meet new people.

On another thread I read that there's nothing to do in Dallas except shop, sports, and the lake. Sounds perfect to me, but I can't image easily meeting new people doing any of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM

409 posts, read 1,045,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcapl View Post
1) Would you say Dallas is an easy city to meet new people in?

2) If you're new to Dallas, what are the best places and activities to meet people?

I know it's all about how outgoing and active you are, but at the same time, some cities are easier to meet new people than others and it's all about knowing where to go and what to do.

i.e. Raleigh, for instance, shuts down at 5pm, everyone goes to the burbs, and it was nearly impossible to meet new people there.

In Baltimore, all you have to do it sit in a Canton or Fells establishment and you'll meet new people.

In Southern CA, joining a social activity network (that plays sports, poker, etc together) is really the only way you're going to easily meet new people.

On another thread I read that there's nothing to do in Dallas except shop, sports, and the lake. Sounds perfect to me, but I can't image easily meeting new people doing any of those things.
Ah when you find the answer to this question then let me know. I just moved here from Bmore six months ago. And although I much more prefer Dallas to Bmore. I absolutely have not met anyone new and sure do mis Canton. My Hubby and I used to love just walking around there and hitting various restuarnts and making a date night of it. We also used to hang with our friends at the bars and it was even more wonderfull once they outlawed the smoking!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
I just moved here from Bmore six months ago. And although I much more prefer Dallas to Bmore. I absolutely have not met anyone new and sure do mis Canton.
Such a small world, I'm from Baltimore too! I've worked in Canton for the past 5 years, and we have a similar date night as yours.

I desperately want to relocate, but am wondering how anyone in Dallas meets one another. We visited only once so far, and I was surprised how vacant the city was. So how do people meet, I'm wondering?

I'm still learning neighborhoods, but have you tried the Uptown area? Sounds similar to Canton. Although I still have a lot of time to decide (need to save for the move, sell a condo, find a job, etc) that's the area I'm currently interested in.

How have you enjoyed Dallas otherwise?

I can't get over that in the northern part of Dallas (which I read is where I should stick to), I can afford a *single family home* with a POOL for LESS than the condo I bought in Nottingham!! As if awesome Dallas weather wasn't enough, I'm sold. lol

DFW Outdoors dot com appears similar to the social groups in CA. Their site says "Our events range from skiing, hiking, camping, and kayaking, to social gatherings like concerts, dinner nights, and wine parties." Maybe they'd be worth a try.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM

I must admit I have made one friend since I have been here. There is a woman at my office that has been quite nice and has befriended me. She has shown me around the city, good shopping etc.

I do not think that you should base your decision on whether or not it is easy to meet people. Regardless I still think Dallas is a wonderful city and I don't want to move back to Bmore (yet at least LOL). Visit a few more times, I think I was here about 4x before I made the move.

I disagree on your comment about the city being vacant. I live quite far from downtown/uptown but one of my coworkers lives in the heart of the city. I will be sure to ask here about a similar "Canton-like" place here and let you know.

I do want to warn you that it is very hard to get a job here while still in Bmore. I tried for about a year and could not. I eventually got the job and got here on August 9th and started working Sept 21. So just save and make the move.

I lived off of Moravia road in Bmore (not the nicest area of town. I still can't get over the fact that here I was able to purchase a beautiful 5bdr home! I don't think that even 10 yrs from today I could dream of affording this home back in Bmore. That plus the weather and great shopping here sold me. Any mall here is 10x better than White Marsh, Towson or Aurndel Mills.

As far as social networking groups also try meetup.com

Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Oh, I must have miscommunicated. I'm not basing my decision to move to Dallas on that. I'm simply asking so I can decide for sure which part of the (seemingly expansive) metroplex I want to narrow my home and job search to.

We were indeed there during off time (and we avoided the city during rush hour), so maybe that's why it seemed to vacant. I was like, were are all the cars and people walking to lunch?! lol

Yeah, I was kind of prepared for the challenging job search from afar so in addition to selling the condo and saving to pay for the move, I'm in the process of saving so I can live for several months while I find a job.

Oh my, I didn't even try the Dallas malls yet, but next trip out it's top on my list. lol I knew good things await me because I Googled which stores the city had before I even considered Dallas (how sad is that? lol).

I know what you mean. I grew up in Dundalk. I am quite certain I could *never* afford the house (or condo, at this point lol) in Balto. that I could in Dallas. I just can't believe, with all the states I've lived in, that I didn't think of TX sooner. I get more excited about Dallas by the minute!

Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 PM

112 posts, read 314,754 times
DFW Outdoors and Meetup.com are great ways to find groups of people with similar interests. If you are into an active lifestyle, there are great running, cycling, inline skating, climbing, rowing and just about any other activity club in Dallas. If you are into cycling or skating I can recommend a few great groups.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM

We stayed at Value Place until I got a job. Then we got an apt then we purchased out home. In this bad job market I do not encourage you to limit your job search to one area of the metroplex only. Take a job where you can get it. Unfortunately, I do not like the job I have and I am having an extremely hard time getting another one. I guess I just lucked out the first time.

During the busy lunch time people use the tunnels. It's hard to describe b/c we don't have them in Bmore but you see how we have a few sky walks downtown that connect buildings? They have TONS of these underground tunnels with shopping and fast food that connect a lot of the downtown office buildings. So if you came during winter (which is supposedly the coldest they had in yrs) that is why you wouldn't see much people "above ground."

I don't think you are silly for checking out the stores first b/c I absolutely refused to move unless Dallas had Coldstone Creamery, Aldo Shoes and Coach LOL. Luckily they have all 3 in abundance!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,380 times
I think this is a good question. I plan relocating there in the next couple of months. I am a people person so I figured it shouldn't be too hard..but it is good to know in advance how the climate is socially before relocating.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
...In this bad job market I do not encourage you to limit your job search to one area of the metroplex only. Take a job where you can get it....

During the busy lunch time people use the tunnels.... So if you came during winter (which is supposedly the coldest they had in yrs) that is why you wouldn't see much people "above ground."

I don't think you are silly for checking out the stores first b/c I absolutely refused to move unless Dallas had Coldstone Creamery, Aldo Shoes and Coach LOL. Luckily they have all 3 in abundance!
Wow, everything I read makes it sound like jobs are so abundant in Dallas. Thanks so very much for telling me that!!!!!!!!! Will do for sure!

You know what, we *were* there in the winter (and the hotel clerk said it never gets that cold - in fact, the day we were leaving it got 20* warmer lol). That explains it! I'll have to check out the tunnels next trip out. Tunnels to avoid the cold! Now I *really* like Dallas. lol

lol Yeah, my theory is, if a city is too small to have a Nordstrom / Nord. Rack and a Starbucks, it's too small for me. lol

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbelle72 View Post
DFW Outdoors and Meetup.com are great ways to find groups of people with similar interests. If you are into an active lifestyle, there are great running, cycling, inline skating, climbing, rowing and just about any other activity club in Dallas. If you are into cycling or skating I can recommend a few great groups.
I am indeed active, but with the limitations of a very bad knee. Can't do cycling b/c of the knee (until I get surgery), but what kind of skating? You have me intrigued
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas