Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,331 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out Dallas for possible relocation and though I've taken a look myself, I haven't spent enough time in Dallas to answer my question fullly. I might be teaching at SMU, though I wouldn't be able to afford Highland Park.

I've got about 400 Gs to throw down and I'm looking for a suburban area with a good mix of homes, apartments, and shopping (malls or upscale street stuff). Plano seems a little too far away and, frankly, it seems a little dull. I really want a cool, walkable neighborhood with lots of park space, coffee shops, and shopping nearbye. However I don't want to be too close to the city...I'm one of those crazy conservative suburban squares that convulses when confronted with anything outside of my yuppie safety bubble.

I've heard that Lakewood would be a good bet--but does it have that cultural, urban flair I'm looking for?

Are there any areas I should absolutely avoid?

Are there any more affordable areas near Highland Park that would be family-friendly--yet still with a good mix of homes, apartments, and shopping/cofee culture stuff?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM

288 posts, read 1,191,233 times
Sounds less like University Village in Seattle than Clarendon Market Commons in NoVA.

Lakewood doesn't have the newness and upscale shopping (or apartments). Lakewood's a quiet neighborhood with some decent stores and eating and 'Bucks.

New, and walkable. Wow. Sounds like Uptown through Knox Hendorson may be the closest thing to something like that; Crate and Barrel is there but do they have a Banana?

All that is at the southern doorstep to Highland Park anyway.

But there's no houses. None. All of that is across the freeway in Lakewood.

Have you tried Arlington, TX? But that's not walkable, although some people do.

Last edited by ctrres; 02-27-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrres View Post
Sounds less like University Village in Seattle than Clarendon Market Commons in NoVA.

Lakewood doesn't have the newness and upscale shopping (or apartments). Lakewood's a quiet neighborhood with some decent stores and eating and 'Bucks.

New, and walkable. Wow. Sounds like Uptown through Knox Hendorson may be the closest thing to something like that; Crate and Barrel is there but do they have a Banana?

All that is at the southern doorstep to Highland Park anyway.

But there's no houses. None. All of that is across the freeway in Lakewood.

Have you tried Arlington, TX? But that's not walkable, although some people do.
I think I remember Uptown....what is it like? All apartments?

I haven't been to Arlington before. But the image I have is what I get from King Of The Hill, lol. I'm sure it's considerably different from that. So what IS is like?

Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
M Streets and Lower Greenville might be what you are looking for although there is much more of an indie vibe than a conservative vibe. Look in 75206. But it isn't yuppified...that'd be more West Village (where there is a Banana)...and mosly singles.

King of the Hill takes place in Arlen...aka Garland. But possibly the same as Arlington.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 AM

38 posts, read 128,929 times
for most dallas suburbs, hip and suburban dont belong in the same sentence (unfortunately)

Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrres View Post
I lived just down the orange line near the Courthouse Metro stop for a while, I agree, nothing really like Clarendon or similar suburb of DC in NoVA to be found in Dallas. The urban areas here near Dallas I think are his best bet. I think its Uptown and all of that reminds me of Clarendon and that area. Kind of urban-ish but not gritty or edgy.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
This is a new walkable area in Plano - Legacy In Plano - A Spirit of Community

Old 02-28-2008, 07:03 AM

9 posts, read 42,058 times
Second vote for Uptown, Knox-Henderson and I'd add neighboring OakLawn as an option. Uptown more shopping and food that is walkable. From there SMU could even be a bike commute.

You should be able to find plenty with $400k in those areas. Several new construction townhomes in OakLawn are in that range. Also lots, existing, not new to pick from in Knox and some in Uptown in that range. Yeah, not a lot of single family homes there, but tons of townhouse and condo developments to pick from.

The other neighborhood to check is State-Thomas. I loved the area, but I was closer to $300k and couldn't touch it. That would have been my first choice if money were no option.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:08 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
I've your going to be working at SMU - the Uptown, Knox-Hendersen area would certainly be a very good place. My suggestion though - rent for 6 months before you buy so you can do some exploring to buy the right place for you. Lots of micro-environments in Dallas. Several blocks one way or the other could change your quality of life and/or put you within walking distance of the things you frequent.

While you're checking it out - go to Knox Street, just West of Central Expressway (aka TX-75). Across the street from Crate and Barrel is a Dallas institution... Wild About Harry's. Best darned hard serve frozen custard you'll ever have! I hear the hot dogs are great, too (I'm just not a h-d fan).

Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM

6,794 posts, read 14,018,392 times
You can scratch Plano and Arlington off your list. Neither of them will have what your looking for. Like stated earlier Knox-Henderson area will be your best bet. Goodluck on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas