U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM

111 posts, read 336,732 times

Advertisements

I'm in SLC, and would LOVE to relocate me and my family to the Dallas area. I'm not getting any recruiters/employers contacting me. Is there a trick to getting them to contact you? Am I just going about this the wrong way? I'm a Java Software Developer with about 3 years of experience. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM

922 posts, read 2,182,701 times
I'm also a Java Software Developer with 12 years of tech experience, am local and have a Masters. This really isn't the market to be looking if you don't have to be.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM

Why do you say that? I've heard from others that the Dallas market is booming beyond belief. When I look at the job boards, they show an exorbitant amount of Java jobs. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM

922 posts, read 2,182,701 times
I've mainly dealt with backend Java development for the last 5 years or so. Maybe you may have more luck if you have the right buzzwords. However, I am speaking from experience looking for a job in this market. Maybe you should look deeper into the job postings. Many jobs coming from companies will be sent to 20 different recruiters, and they will all post for the same opening. Many of the openings are fake, many are just fishing for resumes, some are hoping for an opening soon (reversal of hiring freeze, etc.) or are reserved for somebody else already, or any of a multitude of reasons. Heck, I've seen postings in the Dallas market for the same position in 2010 that was originally posted in late 2008 (not 2009); Maybe those postings are older, but I just wasn't' keeping track then. However, will all that being said, why not just use a local address and see how much contact you get if you think being an outsider is the main issue. I am getting lots of recruiter & some company contacts, but a lot of it is noise (hey you have such and such buzzword from 9 years ago) or automated rejection from companies, etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM

215 posts, read 1,447,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvad242 View Post
I'm in SLC, and would LOVE to relocate me and my family to the Dallas area. I'm not getting any recruiters/employers contacting me. Is there a trick to getting them to contact you? Am I just going about this the wrong way? I'm a Java Software Developer with about 3 years of experience. Thanks.
Just curious why Dallas?

Do you have kids or a wife? How old are you ? If you are in your 20's or 30's with no kids or no wife then just move here , work retail or any jobs or even two job to make ends meet until you land that perfect Dallas
If you have kids then it will be a little tricky.

Traveling back and forth from SLC may be too taxing and Most companies are now requiring u to be local before getting a interview...............

Old 04-01-2010, 02:25 PM

We'd really like to end up in Phoenix, but the market is just awful there. So, we figured that the next best place is somewhere like Dallas: warmer temps, low cost of living, etc. We have a few relatives who have lived there and said that Dallas was just awesome. Also, a study was done that showed programmer's salaries with adjusted cost of living, and 3 out of the top ten were in the DFW area.

I have a wife and a one year old daughter. We've thought about just getting up and moving (we don't have a house to sell, and have more than 3 months of expenses in savings), but for obvious reasons felt that this is a bad idea. We are ready to buy either a house or a townhome, but not in Utah. We are sick of the winter (my wife is originally from Tucson, AZ) and don't want to get stuck in Utah, which is a lot more likely if we buy something here.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 PM

116 posts, read 386,422 times
I just got back from the dallas area and im here to tell you that there is stuff happening there (insert excitment now ).There is new houses being built everywhere,freeways and roads being built NO businesses going under that I could see.Only saw a few foreclosed homes unlike las vegas.I was really excited with what I saw going on there so we have decided to pull up the anchor and move within 2 weeks.I dont think texas has been affected by the economy that we are in.I have lived in las for 25 years and this place has dried up as far as work goes,there is also a sort of depressing feeling going on here with everyone.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM

33,380 posts, read 52,985,018 times
and you are doing that move without actually having any job leads for employment or doing anything besides driving around and eye-balling business success/failure...

Old 04-02-2010, 02:04 PM

25,161 posts, read 51,146,058 times
Apply at southwest airlines.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 PM

2,483 posts, read 6,121,881 times
Trouble is employers right now is they don't want to pay moving cost to get you here. When they can hire someone that is here to fill the position your looking at. If you are willing to cover your moving cost you need to state so in your Cover letter, or on your resume.

Otherewise if you feel you can find a job here in Dallas, you need to save at least 6 - 8 months of living expenses and hope like heck you get a job within your time before the $$ runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: