Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of having a tract home built by Sandlin in the Country Lakes-Argyle neighborhood. I'm a little anxious about having a home built in general, especially considering the contract arbitration clause and how much the deck in TX is stacked toward builders if problems arise. I haven't come across major negative info about the company though and considered I'd get a high quality home even if it isn't a custom. I've added upgrades to improve energy efficiency, looks, etc. However I've been disappointed to learn--after selecting design center options--that some items I'd assumed were standard weren't (e.g. cabinet over dishwasher, ceiling light in living area). They did allow me to make some changes, with a change order... and change order fee, so I guess getting the changes is good (but not the fee). Still... yesterday I looked over my freshly poured and dried foundation and noticed the concrete was crumbly at the corners of the garage. Also, around the foundation perimeter, where bolts are set to ground the bottom boards of the framework, the concrete was cracked around 10 or so bolts from the bolt to the concrete edge. The foundation is poured on post tension cables, with concrete and cable in trenchwork 24"" under the slab, so it seems to be sound work.... Emailed and called my construction superintendent with concerns but haven't heard back on the issue today. Don't want to be a pest, but I'm a bit uneasy about this whole process and don't want to be treated 2nd class because of this being a tract vs. custom home. At the same time I'm really excited and trying to have faith it'll turn out as nice as I initially envisioned. Any insights/advice/suggestions? Anyone else with experience with this builder's tract home process?

Last edited by Home Build Customer; 04-07-2010 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,480,896 times
ask your questions at this web site
Building a Home - GardenWeb
you have to join to post but there is not really any spam with it
knowledgeable posters, builders, trades people, other people who are GCing their on build--
most are out of state but they know construction--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas