Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times

Advertisements

My great-grandfather and grandfather didn't get any land grants or mineral rights - they were sharecroppers. When they first came to Texas they were itinerant buffalo hunters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM
JLO

86 posts, read 212,349 times
Oh, guess the Yanks didn't have much to steal from them back in Virginia and Carolina then, right? Didn't want to think that my Great Grandfather's Cornell education was paid for with Confederate Dollars. Yikes!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post
Whoa now, some of us Yankees will question the historical accuracy of what you yourself Lakewooder refer to as "stories" passed down via Y'all's Southern storytell'in.

But nevertheless its was a good thing for those large Texas land grants (homesteads) for which today's Texans are still cashing in. Just think you may not be a Texan or live in Lakewood if it wasn't for us Yankees. Better yet, you Texans are still reaping the rewards of land ownership (and mineral rights in the shale) generations later compliments of (us) those "Damn Yankees" and their thievery. Who'd a thought Yankees did you a favor?

Last thought ... forgive me but us Yanks are vocal or vocalists depending on if we're performing ... Hopefully your father taught you how to "make it and keep it" AND off shore it ... cause the Yankees aren't com'in but Uncle Sam is.
Well, my Southern ancestors actually founded some parts of the northeast. One was one of the founders of Long Island. Many long ago settlements actually were founded and settled by people who have been "from the South" for many generations. Most of them did start out up there in that there far away land to the north. After each war they fought they were handed land grants as payment to settle new territories to the south. And the march southward began. First into North Carolina then onto South Carolina and Tennessee. From Tenn or SC they went to either: Georgia, Alabama or Mississippi. One went to Indiana from NC and then onto Missouri. From there they ended up in Texas with a few going to Utah or California instead (the Mormons were HEAVY into trying to gather more into their fold in the south back then).

That is what is kind of funny about people that are from the south vs the north. Most of the people that are longtime southerners can trace their lines back to the 1700 and 1600's. A good many northerners are only 1st to 3rd generation Americans. They still talk about "the homeland". Now, this is not the entire case for those from the northeast but a good portion from what I've found.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
JLO

86 posts, read 212,349 times
Momof2DFW ... that's very interesting ... (longtime southerners being former northerners while people from the north today are only 1st to 3rd generation). But it does make perfect sense. Most early Europeans came over and landed on the east coast (ie, Plimouth (Plymouth), Jamestown etc.)

My two closest friends are ironically both born and raised in Birmingham AL. One I went to school wtih in NY. The other lives here in TX. We always jokingly poke fun at one another's nuances due to our north vs. south origins. Truly we could care less, but I would LOVE to know if my 2 favorite southerners are actually Northerners by lineage. That would be hysterical. Must look into this ...

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,433,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post
Momof2DFW ... that's very interesting ... (longtime southerners being former northerners while people from the north today are only 1st to 3rd generation). But it does make perfect sense. Most early Europeans came over and landed on the east coast (ie, Plimouth (Plymouth), Jamestown etc.)

My two closest friends are ironically both born and raised in Birmingham AL. One I went to school wtih in NY. The other lives here in TX. We always jokingly poke fun at one another's nuances due to our north vs. south origins. Truly we could care less, but I would LOVE to know if my 2 favorite southerners are actually Northerners by lineage. That would be hysterical. Must look into this ...
They very well could be. Most of my southern lines start in Colonial Virginia, but the line that actually still had money (and slaves, I might add) by the time the war broke out were originally from New England and had migrated south. The lines that originated in Colonial Virginia were not slave holders by the mid-1800s and, though better off than many of their neighbors, had not much more than some farm land, animals, and a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas