Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM

333 posts, read 639,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
NO. Its full of freaking fat. Thats what makes people fat. You eat to many calories you get fat. A double double is 670 cals with 370 from fat. Thats over 50% fat. Add french fries with no drink and you are above 1000 cals in one meal with half the cals from fat. Add a drink or a shake and you can be up near 1500 cals.
Thats the problem with fast food not preservatives. Fresh does help fat in a meal and In and Out is full of fat just like other fast food places. Thats a fact.
Too many calories are the problem with fast foods.
I'm not fat. I eat fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflyer View Post
Its no secret that a diet of too much **traditional** fast food is not good for anyone. Numerous reports, studies and documentaries have been done on the subject. Its preservative and filler laden processed food. I honestly think that most people dont have a full grasp on what they are feeding themselves.

Today's definition of 'Fast Food' only applies to In-n-Out in that its served fast. They process their own 100% fresh ground beef, bake their own buns and use fresh wholesome ingredients and no preservatives. The lettuce, onions, tomatoes and french fries are cut fresh in the restaurant. They dont even have freezers or microwaves in their restaurants.

I am not aware of any other fast food restaurant that can say that.

(Chipotle has a similar commitment to preparation and fresh, wholesome ingredients.)

In-n-Out has done it this way for sixty years and that is why they have an enviable loyalty among their customers and manic success.

well said!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
I'm not fat. I eat fast food.
some people have high metabolisms. When I was playing football in high school and college I would eat anything and everything in sight and I wouldnt go over 220. At 220 Im pretty thin. But now that Im 35 and not exercising anymore I gain weight if I eat like I used to. You can be skinny and eat fast food but where it could be hurting you is in your cholesterol which can cause serious health issues.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
some people have high metabolisms. When I was playing football in high school and college I would eat anything and everything in sight and I wouldnt go over 220. At 220 Im pretty thin. But now that Im 35 and not exercising anymore I gain weight if I eat like I used to. You can be skinny and eat fast food but where it could be hurting you is in your cholesterol which can cause serious health issues.
Yep.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM

137 posts, read 329,028 times
Quote:
NO. Its full of freaking fat. Thats what makes people fat. You eat to many calories you get fat. A double double is 670 cals with 370 from fat. Thats over 50% fat. Add french fries with no drink and you are above 1000 cals in one meal with half the cals from fat. Add a drink or a shake and you can be up near 1500 cals.
Thats the problem with fast food not preservatives. Fresh does help fat in a meal and In and Out is full of fat just like other fast food places. Thats a fact.
Too many calories are the problem with fast foods.
I never said fat was OK and I have previously posted that a Double Double with fries will cost about 1000 calories. My point was to illustrate what is different about In-n-Out vs traditional fast food. It said nothing about fat for either case.

Keep in mind that nuts and avocado, for example, are high in fat content and deemed to be good for a balanced diet. Granted, animal fat is not so good, but the issue I presented was not about fat.

So dont even think of trying to counter a point I did not make. It takes the fun out of participating here and really, makes me not like you so much.

Apparently my presentation of the facts created some heartburn for you. Here are a few more for you:

Do you like the fact or even know, what percentage of processed ground beef in our country has an ammonia additive to prevent eColi? (what would you rather have... fat ...or fat+ammonia?) Do you know or care that some fast food french fries are processed like mashed potatoes and then formed into something that looks like a french fry? Do you know or care or did you ever even notice that the cheese on a traditional fast food burger does not easily melt? Do you know or care that most fast food chains use highly mechanized processing to "create" their products, add preservatives, pre-cook, then flash freeze and transport over the highways to wind up at your destination and be cooked or reheated for your consumption, many times in a microwave oven? Do you know or care about the high *ADDED* sugar content in McDonalds highly acclaimed oatmeal?

Those are the issues with traditional fast food.

If you want to talk about fat content, then take a look at how many items people eat daily that derive over 50% of the calories from fat. I think you may be surprised.

Interesting...contrary to some strange earlier predictions, I dont see alot of overweight people at In n Out.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
I beg to differ on that. In-N-Out has never closed a store due to lack of business. They scoop out the area for years before making any decisions.
I work in Dallas and everyone I deal with in the local metro is waiting for the Dallas locations to open.

I have never walked into an In-N-Out and it be empty like other fast food joints. They tend to bulid in prime locations due to traffic and economy and demand.

Thats part of it. Everyone is making a big deal about them opening 8 stores in the metroplex in a short amount of time. Eight is nothing for a market the size of DFW.

In Sacramento, San Diego and Phoenix (which are smaller markets) there are between 16-19 stores, I think they are careful about over saturation. Mcdonalds would probably be in the 60-90 store range. I would expect there to end up 16-18 here in DFW. A city the size of Lubbock or Waco would only have one. If you compare that to other fast food outlets its much much less.

Does Chipotle seem over saturated? There are over 30 locations in DFW, always packed.....Its like saying when the hype of Chipotle wears off it'll be no busier than your average Taco Bell......

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
They were taking down the construction fence last Friday at the location on Central between Southwestern and Caruth Haven.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflyer View Post
I never said fat was OK and I have previously posted that a Double Double with fries will cost about 1000 calories. My point was to illustrate what is different about In-n-Out vs traditional fast food. It said nothing about fat for either case.

Keep in mind that nuts and avocado, for example, are high in fat content and deemed to be good for a balanced diet. Granted, animal fat is not so good, but the issue I presented was not about fat.

So dont even think of trying to counter a point I did not make. It takes the fun out of participating here and really, makes me not like you so much.

Apparently my presentation of the facts created some heartburn for you. Here are a few more for you:

Do you like the fact or even know, what percentage of processed ground beef in our country has an ammonia additive to prevent eColi? (what would you rather have... fat ...or fat+ammonia?) Do you know or care that some fast food french fries are processed like mashed potatoes and then formed into something that looks like a french fry? Do you know or care or did you ever even notice that the cheese on a traditional fast food burger does not easily melt? Do you know or care that most fast food chains use highly mechanized processing to "create" their products, add preservatives, pre-cook, then flash freeze and transport over the highways to wind up at your destination and be cooked or reheated for your consumption, many times in a microwave oven? Do you know or care about the high *ADDED* sugar content in McDonalds highly acclaimed oatmeal?

Those are the issues with traditional fast food.

If you want to talk about fat content, then take a look at how many items people eat daily that derive over 50% of the calories from fat. I think you may be surprised.

Interesting...contrary to some strange earlier predictions, I dont see alot of overweight people at In n Out.
No. I don't care about preservatives, etc. I don't eat it very often. No one should be eating this junk more then once a week.
Either way. Fast food is not healty in any since. Justify all you want.
I know exactly how much fat and calories I take in a day.
I was a fitness trainer for years. In and OUt is unhealthy. You know it. Thats a fact.
By the way, saw plenty of over weight people in and out.
Once again, it comes down to the amount of cals taken in versus burnt. If a person eats all their days cals in one meal, then chances are they are going to get fat.

I can't believe someone is defending the fast food as unhealthy. Its just plain silly.
So sad.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
NO. Its full of freaking fat. Thats what makes people fat. You eat to many calories you get fat.
What point are you making here? Is it about fat or about calories?

In general, caloric intake should be about equal to calories burned. The imbalance is what creates weight loss or weight gain.

The average American gets about 45% of calories from fat. Im not sure but I think a normal diet is said to be around 25% of calories from fat. A low fat diet would target approximately 10%-20% of calories from fat.

Yep, a fat-laden 1000 calorie In-n-Out meal comes at a price. Is it unhealthy for me? I say "no". And I also say, I will take that 1000 fat laden calorie meal over ANY other fast food meal.

That 1000 fat laden calorie meal, regardless of where it comes from, is only one part of what a person eats in a day or a week. Whats important is to moderate food intake to balance the calories and fat so that over time a person is eating within the healthy target range for fat and calorie and engaging in enough physical activity to match.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
No. I don't care about preservatives, etc. I don't eat it very often. No one should be eating this junk more then once a week.
Either way. Fast food is not healty in any since. Justify all you want.
I know exactly how much fat and calories I take in a day.
I was a fitness trainer for years. In and OUt is unhealthy. You know it. Thats a fact.
By the way, saw plenty of over weight people in and out.
Once again, it comes down to the amount of cals taken in versus burnt. If a person eats all their days cals in one meal, then chances are they are going to get fat.

I can't believe someone is defending the fast food as unhealthy. Its just plain silly.
So sad.
You dont get it and apparently you are unable to read what I write. In my original post, I never said it was healthy and made no justification for the healthy content except to point out the processing and preservatives.

Having been a 'Fitness Trainer' adds no credibility to your participation in this unless you have some credentials in nutrition. So how is that fitness trainer physique of years gone by looking on you today?

Its people like you that take the fun out of this so I will no longer respond to this issue with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas