Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
Paper bags for eat-in orders when reuseable trays fit the bill for eat-in, and get, I dunno, reused?

How is that a stretch?
The trays would have to be washed using electricity for the hot water as well as the machine that cleans them. That could be worse than using a little bit of paper which is probably recycled paper anyway. And paper is a renewable resource. There are a lot bigger environmental concerns than using a paper bag at a fast food place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That's Bob's Big Boy which was Kip's here (to start another hamburger debate). I have a high school friend who takes his old Studebaker there all the time, we went with him a year or so ago -- the burger still tasted a bit like Kip's but it's been so long it was hard to be sure. We confirmed that many of the menu items are different because my friend brought an actual Kip's menu from the old Lakewood location (now a Bank of America).

The poor big boy statue would get kidnapped every year and put on our school front lawn on senior day.

Bob's today is different from what I remember as a kid. The food reminds me more of Denny's. My friends and I used to go there for cruise nights on Fridays. The first time I went, there was a douche with a stolen Ferrari that took an hour to get on a flatbed towtruck for some reason. Good fun.
I never saw Jay when I went, though. We would also go most years for my dad's birthday dinner.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 PM

137 posts, read 328,884 times
Quote:
With that article, Five Guys seems happy to have the In-N-Out competition. In Las Colinas, I think they will like it too: In-N-Out will bring people into the immediate area, and when people see the outrageous lines, they will go across the street to Five Guys. I think Five Guys will be particularly happy when that particular In-N-Out location opens.

P.S. That article didn't mention, however, that Five Guys, like Mooyah and Country Burger, server every order (including dine-in orders) as a to-go order which is horrible for the environment.
"We welcome competition" is standard talking points in the restaurant business when a competitor gets too close for comfort.

If the Five Guys in Las Colinas expects to effectively compete, they will have to start working on their quality standards and how they handle customer complaints. My last visit there was not good and my efforts to bring it to the managers attention yielded less than satisfactory results. He simply did not know the proper way to adequately handle a complaint. By the time it was all said and done, I was more bothered by his response than by the problem with the food. I vowed to never again to go Five Guys, and I wont.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:53 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
The trays would have to be washed using electricity for the hot water as well as the machine that cleans them. That could be worse than using a little bit of paper which is probably recycled paper anyway. And paper is a renewable resource. There are a lot bigger environmental concerns than using a paper bag at a fast food place.
1.) There is no indication whatsoever that the paper, thrown in the trash, at Mooyah/Five Guys/Country Burger/etc is recycled. If there is, please point it out. I wrote Mooyah Corporate about this issue (since Mooyah was my first experience seeing this first hand), and they never responded, not even a courtesy auto-response.

2.) Of course there are bigger environmental concerns, but in today's age where being green means something, these chains aren't doing it.

3.) My beef is not just environmental, it's also practical: it's a pain to tear open those bags to eat the food, especially the fries with Mooyah and 5 guys dumping extra fries into the bag. A tray, like everywhere else, would make sense. In fact I suppose it makes too much sense that someone has to be different.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:54 PM

871 posts, read 2,689,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflyer View Post
"We welcome competition" is standard talking points in the restaurant business when a competitor gets too close for comfort.

If the Five Guys in Las Colinas expects to effectively compete, they will have to start working on their quality standards and how they handle customer complaints. My last visit there was not good and my efforts to bring it to the managers attention yielded less than satisfactory results. He simply did not know the proper way to adequately handle a complaint. By the time it was all said and done, I was more bothered by his response than by the problem with the food. I vowed to never again to go Five Guys, and I wont.
Well it's one thing if Five Guys in Las Colinas has other issues, but they could market that location as an alternative to the massive lines that will come witn In-N-Out in Las Colinas, that's my point. A lot of people will be turned off by the lines and may simply go next door for a fresh burger.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 PM

137 posts, read 328,884 times
Quote:
Well it's one thing if Five Guys in Las Colinas has other issues, but they could market that location as an alternative to the massive lines that will come witn In-N-Out in Las Colinas, that's my point. A lot of people will be turned off by the lines and may simply go next door for a fresh burger.
Youre correct, In n Out is very busy and the lines can be intimidating....until realized that the line moves fast. Those waiting in line know its worth waiting for.

Even when Five Guys is on its game, Id still rather wait for In n Out...Plus, Five Guys has significantly higher pricing. I realize not everyone shares my sentiment, but In n Out does very well for a reason.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM

50 posts, read 162,048 times
I finally went round In-N-Out for the first time on Memorial Day night. I went to the Frisco location as it's only twelve miles from me. Got there at about 9:30pm. The drive-thru moved pretty quickly and I had my double-double, animal-style twenty minutes after pulling into the line.

This burger had a lot to live up to. I've even had a few people tell me that In-N-Out is better than Mooyah, and "way better that Whataburger". I considered that to be a very bold statement but it fueled my curiosity. I decided that I needed to look into it soon. Few things in life live up to the hype they generate. "Avatar"? Yes. "The Road"? No. Mooyah? Absolutely, yes. In-N-Out? Well, no. That doesn't mean I didn't like it. It was tasty and fresh, but a bit over hyped. Perhaps I do the same when I rave about Whataburger to friends and family back in Florida.

Though, Whataburger is the best.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDizzl View Post
I finally went round In-N-Out for the first time on Memorial Day night. I went to the Frisco location as it's only twelve miles from me. Got there at about 9:30pm. The drive-thru moved pretty quickly and I had my double-double, animal-style twenty minutes after pulling into the line.

This burger had a lot to live up to. I've even had a few people tell me that In-N-Out is better than Mooyah, and "way better that Whataburger". I considered that to be a very bold statement but it fueled my curiosity. I decided that I needed to look into it soon. Few things in life live up to the hype they generate. "Avatar"? Yes. "The Road"? No. Mooyah? Absolutely, yes. In-N-Out? Well, no. That doesn't mean I didn't like it. It was tasty and fresh, but a bit over hyped. Perhaps I do the same when I rave about Whataburger to friends and family back in Florida.

24 miles round-trip for fast food? Yikes.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDizzl View Post

Mooyah is ok. In N Out = greatness.
Whataburger = suck......

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Mooyah is ok. In N Out = greatness.
Whataburger = suck......
My guess is either you are:

1. not a native Texan, or
2. very young and have no idea what a great hamburger should taste like

ALL IN FUN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas