Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM

31 posts, read 96,746 times

Advertisements

Hope I'm not too late to chime in.

We transplanted this year and found a great home in the Maxwell Creek subd. in Murphy. We were able to get over 4000 sq feet with a pool AND some yard for low 300's.

Our second choice home was on the Plano ISD side of Murphy, 3700 feet, no pool, almost no yard.

Ultimately we went for the nicer home.

I would consider both sides of Murphy - that that feeds Plano ISD and that that feeds Wylie ISD. You may find more house for the money on the Wylie side which makes the tax rates a nonissue.

Personally I like high tax rates! That means the community is pro on investing in bonds that improve schools and community life. When I am an empty nester I will feel differently!

Elementary school in Maxwell Creek is less than 5 years old. Feeds middle, jr high and high school that are situated together 2 miles away.

Four year high school 4A size - so for TEXAS, this is a smaller high school.
Probably less competitive academically than the Plano high schools. I see this as more opportunity to excel at whatever you are good at - academics, band, sports, drama, etc.

And as I understand it - top 10% of your graduating class are the only ones guaranteed acceptance to state universities. So smaller enrollment means easier access to the to 10%!

Check out the pool in Maxwell Creek! It looks like a water park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Hello -- throwing my 2c in

In a word -- Allen.

Very easy access to Richardson via Central Expressway. My sister commutes from Allen to BCBS headquarters and she makes it in about 20 minutes. It's also a smaller community and much easier to navigate (locally). Tons of great shopping and restaurants that are easy to get to (Watters Crossing, Exchange Place, Whole Foods coming soon! Stonebriar Mall very easy to get to as well.)

I've actually found it really easy to get *anywhere* in DFW from here. Whenever we need a break from the burbs, we hop on Central and head over to Uptown or White Rock Lake.

Great schools -- among the best in the DFW area. (I predict that someone will just have to bring up the fact that there is only one high school, with no intention of building another. Does not seem to be an issue with anyone I know who actually lives here and has children in the schools).

Housing in your price range - check out Beacon Hill, Raintree Estates, and Glendover Park. Also, some of the smaller homes in Watters Crossing may be in your budget.

Best of luck!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,992 times
I would choose Allen or Plano over Richardson. You'll have to see for yourself, and decide what areas you like best. There is a lot of new developement in Allen and Frisco, as well as McKinney, so if you want 'newer' look further north. 75 does have a lot of traffic certain times of the day, so that needs to be considered too.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueness View Post
I would choose Allen or Plano over Richardson. You'll have to see for yourself, and decide what areas you like best. There is a lot of new developement in Allen and Frisco, as well as McKinney, so if you want 'newer' look further north. 75 does have a lot of traffic certain times of the day, so that needs to be considered too.
I commute against traffic both ways on 75 (I live south of where I work). While I am sitting on my patio enjoying a beer after a hard day's work, those other people will still be in their cars commuting to their HOA-ruled Fantasias in Collin County. I wish them well. As for shopping...who needs the constant temptation of impulse buying staring them in the face? If I want to go shopping, I can always go on Saturday.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
I live in Murphy and own a restaurant at E Renner and Northstar in E. Richardson and it takes 5-7 mins to get there. It might be another 10 mins to your hubby's office.

Murphy might be filled with HOA neighborhoods and shiny new, but it is also very friendly and welcoming. The best of a small town if you would. But close enough to everything else that you don't always find in a small town.

Please consider it.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:25 PM

27 posts, read 959,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Hello -- throwing my 2c in

In a word -- Allen.

Very easy access to Richardson via Central Expressway. My sister commutes from Allen to BCBS headquarters and she makes it in about 20 minutes. It's also a smaller community and much easier to navigate (locally). Tons of great shopping and restaurants that are easy to get to (Watters Crossing, Exchange Place, Whole Foods coming soon! Stonebriar Mall very easy to get to as well.)

I've actually found it really easy to get *anywhere* in DFW from here. Whenever we need a break from the burbs, we hop on Central and head over to Uptown or White Rock Lake.

Great schools -- among the best in the DFW area. (I predict that someone will just have to bring up the fact that there is only one high school, with no intention of building another. Does not seem to be an issue with anyone I know who actually lives here and has children in the schools).

Housing in your price range - check out Beacon Hill, Raintree Estates, and Glendover Park. Also, some of the smaller homes in Watters Crossing may be in your budget.

Best of luck!
Allen offers a great commute for us too... any reccommendations for restaurants or parks when we visit this week? I need to entertain my toddler and explore the area while my DH goes to a training for the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I live in Murphy and own a restaurant at E Renner and Northstar in E. Richardson and it takes 5-7 mins to get there. It might be another 10 mins to your hubby's office.

Murphy might be filled with HOA neighborhoods and shiny new, but it is also very friendly and welcoming. The best of a small town if you would. But close enough to everything else that you don't always find in a small town.

Please consider it.
We will be... the tax rate is high enough that it changes our price range a bit, but we'll be looking there when we visit this week.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 PM

27 posts, read 959,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicePlusMom View Post
Hope I'm not too late to chime in.

We transplanted this year and found a great home in the Maxwell Creek subd. in Murphy. We were able to get over 4000 sq feet with a pool AND some yard for low 300's.

Our second choice home was on the Plano ISD side of Murphy, 3700 feet, no pool, almost no yard.

Ultimately we went for the nicer home.

I would consider both sides of Murphy - that that feeds Plano ISD and that that feeds Wylie ISD. You may find more house for the money on the Wylie side which makes the tax rates a nonissue.

Personally I like high tax rates! That means the community is pro on investing in bonds that improve schools and community life. When I am an empty nester I will feel differently!

Elementary school in Maxwell Creek is less than 5 years old. Feeds middle, jr high and high school that are situated together 2 miles away.

Four year high school 4A size - so for TEXAS, this is a smaller high school.
Probably less competitive academically than the Plano high schools. I see this as more opportunity to excel at whatever you are good at - academics, band, sports, drama, etc.

And as I understand it - top 10% of your graduating class are the only ones guaranteed acceptance to state universities. So smaller enrollment means easier access to the to 10%!

Check out the pool in Maxwell Creek! It looks like a water park.
Thanks for the info! We'll be driving through Maxwell Creek this week to check it out, I think.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM

37 posts, read 125,941 times
If you are considering Allen, for places to visit and to get a feel for the area, start at the new Village of Allen / Fairview off Stacy and 75. Theres a play area there for kids, and a lot of shopping and restaurants. Watters Creek off Bethany and 75 is also a good shopping/eating area.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingjones View Post
If you are considering Allen, for places to visit and to get a feel for the area, start at the new Village of Allen / Fairview off Stacy and 75. Theres a play area there for kids, and a lot of shopping and restaurants. Watters Creek off Bethany and 75 is also a good shopping/eating area.
Personally, I'd pick Watters Creek over Village at Allen to visit. The Village is more just like a typical mall (except it is outdoors)...it has loads of stores and restaurants...so it is great for shopping and it does have a cute kids playarea and a dog park. Watters Creek is much smaller as far as number of shops, however, is much more quaint...with a creek running through it, and a large lawn for picnic-ing. Most of the restaurants have patios that overlook the lawn and creek too. No specific playground yet...but you will see loads of kids exploring the creek and climbing on the iron animal statues on the lawn.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie777 View Post

We will be... the tax rate is high enough that it changes our price range a bit, but we'll be looking there when we visit this week.
I'm a little bit confused by that comment. Murphy is well within the range of the surrounding area.

Allen 2.4238
Plano 2.1458
Murphy (PISD) 2.1956
Murphy (WISD) 2.4573
Richardson (Collin Co) 2.2323
Richardson (Dallas Co) 2.5173

Some disclaimers -
Plano is going to be raising taxes this year. They have a serious budget shortfall and have drained their reserves, so no other options.
Murphy taxes will be going up .055 due to the second issuance of the bonds (parks, streets, community center) along with the upgrade to the emergency services radio system and a new (replacement) fire truck.
Richardson has a bond election on the ballot Saturday. If it passes, it will also raise taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas