Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 PM

168 posts, read 573,554 times

Advertisements

For several reason, I like to hit all- you -can eat buffets from time to time. They are easy in, easy out, and you can pick and choose what you eat. Good ones are hard to find. Bad ones are everywhere. I define good as semi-healthy options, fresh food, tastes great, etc. Lets eliminate pizza buffets. Would be very interested to hear about greek, indian, chinese, bbq, mexican, breakfast buffets that people like.

Examples I have found that I really like, all in the mid cities/Irving area.

- BBQ buffet Fri-Sun at North Main BBQ in Euless
- Our Place Indian buffet on n. MacArthur in Las Colinas
- Veranda Greek on n. MacArthr in Irvinv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 50,345 times
There is a Pancho's near Town East Mall in Mesquite that is a cut above the rest. It is an upscaled version of some kind. The green chile stew is my fav but most things are good.
Joe

Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Furr's is very good

Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
There is a Pancho's near Town East Mall in Mesquite that is a cut above the rest. It is an upscaled version of some kind. The green chile stew is my fav but most things are good.
Joe
Hmmm, the only Pancho's I am aware of in Mesquite is on Gus Thomasson just north of Oates. It's 2 or 3 miles from Town East Mall unless I'm unaware of a new one. It has been there for many years. The last time we ate there was about 3-4 years ago. It was just OK, IMHO. I grew up on Pancho's (at Mockingbird and Abrams) and have never considered them to be "fine dining". Just OK, but the free sopapillas have always been a good thing for me.

Their green and red chile stew has always been the two best things on the buffet.

There is a new "Royal Buffet" chinese food place in Rowlett that stays packed, esp. on Friday and Saturday nights when they have crab legs. As good as Red Lobster IMHO.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Many Indian Buffets are good. Faves of mine include MumTaz on Campbell & Collins in Richardson - they have a 5.95 deal on Mondays.

Another fave in the Whole Foods in Lakewood (Abrahms and Gaston). It's better than the other Whole Foods I have tried so far (W Plano and the Coit locations). WF buffets are pay by the pound though which I prefer because I really only can eat like 6 or 7 dollars worth of food before I'm overdoing it.

I haven't found too many Chinese buffets that have thrilled me, but of the several I have tried I like the one on Ross at Haskell best of all so far. Honestly, once you've had Thai or Pho, can you ever really good back to the land of corn syrup?

My wife and I toured three Mediterranean buffets and passed on all of them and went to that Mexican steakhouse instead.

I'd like to love Central Market but keep being annoyed by all that plastic! That's why I prefer Whole Foods because I can help myself to exactly what I want in the correct amounts without gambling on the hot possibility that I may annoy the deli server with too much specificity. Can't blame 'em really but to get what I want them, I would end up with juggling a dozen plastic containers with 1-2 ounces of each little item that looks good. And then when I get done fumbling the 50 plastic containers (when I bring the fam) which serve a useful purpose for all of ten minutes and then will remain as refuse for the next half million years , I think of our dwindling petroleum reserves I get this sudden weird spasm and start to freak out wondering why I can't just get a compostable paper plate - so of course that's why I need to stay out of that place. (Oh boy, do I ever divert... )

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Lunch at Ali Baba's is good.....there are a few Ali Baba's in the DFW area
Wknd Brunch at Blue Mesa also good ..... also a few around DFW
Lunch at Kosta's in Ft Worth

Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM

168 posts, read 573,554 times
I should have been a bit more specific...

All you can eat buffets. In particular, what I wish I could find but havent, is a really good Asian buffet without all the MSG and corn syrup. I used to go to a place in Austin for Dim Sum and it was really awesome. I miss it. Also, always interested in good med/greek buffets, Indian buffets, breakfast buffets...

Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 PM

198 posts, read 499,494 times
My favorite Chinese buffet is the Great Wall of China located at Alma and Plano Parkway in South-Central Plano! Good selection and the food and service is very good, imo. They opened a new location on Preston Road in Frisco close to Stonebriar Mall, but it isn't as good.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
There is a new Great Wall Super Buffet that opened up in Frisco at Preston and 121... NE corner.

Just like any buffet place, you want to go during the rush time because the food is fresh, if you go mid afternoon or early evening, you'll likely have some food that's been around for hours.

I know that it's a long way from Southlake, but, if you're in the Rowlett area, there's a good one that just opened up called Royal Buffet, they have not only the traditional chinese stir fry, but sushi, mongolian grill (similar to Genghis Grill), they have the crab legs Friday and Saturday night.

Naima

Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
If you are ever in Arlington, try Tandoor's Indian restaurant. They have a great buffet at lunch time. My favorite Indian restaurant in Arlington for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas