Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM

300 posts, read 1,258,684 times

Advertisements

I have never moved to a different state before. What do I need to do upon arrival? I know I need to register my car. And I know I need to register to vote. But...what else?

Will my Texas drivers license be an option at car registration? Or do I need to do that separate (possibly before registering the car?).

Beyond that...if you were a newcomer, or if you had it to do all again if you ever were a newcomer...what would be the first things you would do/see to help give you a feeling of "home" or form good initial memories/impressions of the Dallas area? I realize we only get one shot to do this, so naturally I'm requesting your opinions. =)

The trip has been scratched since we have to move so soon. No times work with our jobs and existing obligations/plans. So...we are pretty much just going to get up and move, sight unseen (well, accept for when we have visited family a few time in San Antonio a few years back).

I almost feel like Im getting ready to go off to college. Super excited for something I've been looking forward to for so long. I know I'll get homesick once Im there. But Texas will be our home- so I want to mitigate that as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Order your FREE Texas Travel Guide. Go ahead and do that now
TourTexas.com - Free Texas Travel Guides Tourism Information

You will need to get your car inspected first before getting it registered. You get your drivers license at a different location. You do not need a Texas DL to register your vehicles.

You have a little one so find a moms group. This will give you an instant connection to people in your area w/ kids the same age and they usually plan outings and parties for the family. If you find a place in the Firewheel area of Garland there is the Firewheel Mom's group. There is also the Garland Early Childhood PTA. All great resources for your little one to start making friends and for you to make friends as well and activities for all of you.

On weekends when you can get away from house hunting for permenant digs and unpacking........ take some short weekend trips. Lots to do and see around here. Even if it means just going and staying at a hotel in Ft Worth and seeing the sights over there for a weekend.

Since you are coming in May you will be here in time for a few festivals and 4th of July activities that go on in the area. In Richardson check out the Wildflower Festival and Cottonwood Festival. In Addison there is Taste of Addison. Look on the Dallas Morning News website for their guide section to see what all is going on to go check out, Dallas-Fort Worth News, Sports, Entertainment, Weather and Traffic - The Dallas Morning News

This should get you started in settling in and making connections.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

I've inquired with the state before, and they're not going to come after you if you take a while to get registered. There's just hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles in Texas from out of state and owners have not yet transferred their registration. Especially in the major metros or near a military post. So don't stress yourself over vehicle registration.

Do get your driver's license as soon as possible. That will be easier if you go to an 'outlying' Public Safety office rather than some inner city office. There's a driver's license office link at the Motor Vehicle page above.

I wouldn't know what to do you memorialize your move to Texas as I was born here. I could only suggest clean diapers....

Although, as a kid my family did leave the country for a couple of years and on return drove from NYC back to Texas. Just this side of Texarkana (Arkansas/Texas) there's a concrete marker shaped like the state. So dad took a picture of us sitting on the thing.

Edit
Quote:
So...we are pretty much just going to get up and move, sight unseen (well, accept for when we have visited family a few time in San Antonio a few years back).

I almost feel like Im getting ready to go off to college. Super excited for something I've been looking forward to for so long.
I'm glad to hear you have a good attitude about the sudden move. My take is that regardless of where you go or what you do, life is an adventure.

Go for the gusto... adjust accordingly.

Last edited by Willsson; 03-11-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
^^^
For your drivers license head out to the office in Rockwall on Goliad in the Brookshires grocery store parking lot. That office is a LOT LESS crowded than the Garland office. When I renewed mine last year I walked in and the 2 workers (they only have 2 windows) were waiting for me and the only other person there to fill out our forms. When I took my 16 year old to get her license in January we went to both for her driving test (you have to go make appointments for that in the morning then come back) and the Garland office that afternoon was not that bad, compared to how it's been in the past.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,262,597 times
Keep all the receipts relating to your move, you will likely have some use for tax purposes.
Find a new doctor/dentist and pediatrician and vet. You don't want to wait until you need one and then have to scramble.
Many moving companies have a limited time for insurance claims after you move, so check everything carefully pronto.
Even if you are renting in a neighborhood HOA, make sure you get a copy of the covenants & CC&Rs so you can be compliant.

Welcome.

Naima

Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 AM

509 posts, read 1,262,808 times
did you decide where you will rent? i can't remember if you've mentioned it since that might be helpful to give you advice.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM

300 posts, read 1,258,684 times
Thank you all, again, for wonderful ideas/advice.

We are looking to rent either in Garland or immediate surrounding area, or Rockwall. But there doesn't seem to be much in Rockwall so far! haha! I so wish we could just move right into a house. But, we don't want to make any hasty decisions that we may regret- like if we bought in the "wrong" neighborhood/area or whatever. NOT looking forward to living temporarily without an end date. Also not looking forward to moving, essentially, twice. Once into a temp apartment or house lease, and then again when we get into our own house. Its gonna be a fuuuun next six months or so! haha!

Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM

58 posts, read 142,095 times
we had to show proof of our car reg to get out DLs here last year. maybe they chaged something. bring a birth cert, SS card, or passport. we made several trips top the DPS, due to getting incorrect info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas