U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Plano from Raleigh, North Carolina. Hearing mixed reviews on what life is like out there. Hearing it is much different than here, not only geographically but in lifestyles as well. Is it easy for transplanted families to fit in out there? Where would be the best suburb for a family? I've heard McKinney, Allen and Frisco are the best choices. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM

333 posts, read 964,262 times
very easy for transplanted folks...you will meet very few TX natives in Dallas, or at least I haven't yet. I live in Plano and work in downtown Dallas

Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Great, thanks for the quick response!!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,055,811 times
I'm native, but live in Dallas proper. Frisco, McKinney are full of transplants. Plano is more of a mix since it's older.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks! Continuing to get good feeback.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 AM

95 posts, read 259,065 times
We're in Frisco...buuuuut we're from Maryland.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM

919 posts, read 2,178,164 times
There are significant differences within the suburbs and within different areas of each city as well. You may like one part of a city and not like another, just depends on what is important to you. I like the area I'm living in, but I choose very careful based upon what I thought was most important for my wife and children. I drilled down on the data to choose which schools I wanted first, and then searched for the lots and houses in those areas.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM

71 posts, read 170,938 times
carymom

you will love the dfw. believe me. i lived in raleigh, went to UNC-Chapel Hill for my undergrad.

dallas is NOTHING like RDU area, so you will be in for a social shock of sorts from the massive freeways, expressways & sprawl. just be prepared for the 'scale' you're about to enter. lol

you can't think of dallas on the same scale of living in a cary or north raleigh. you have tons of areas to choose from which fit or have a similar look as cary. the ones you mentioned are all excellent city-burbs. again, it's not 'sleepy' type feel w/trees everywhere, lol, like NC. Plano, or W Plano does put you in the mind of Cary. But Plano or West Plano & NW Plano is a bit more upscale. Frisco also puts you in the mind of Cary. Allen is in the same vicinity as well. Southlake is on the other side of N Dallas or Ft Worth near the airport. It has the laid back look & feel like Cary as well. Actually I think the Ft Worth burbs have a more "rural" country feel. Colleyville, Southlake, Flower Mound are all very nice & might be more closer to Cary.

Also remember, the homes in DFW are VERY close to one another compared to NC. But you might or should get more lot for your money in the areas mentioned above. It will cost $$$$ to live in those areas but they do remind me of Cary in terms of the space, rural, quiet feel.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM

623 posts, read 1,799,347 times
I dunno, the RDU area is similar to the DFW area - DFW area is just a little more busy, a little less nice (more crazy drivers), and a LOT less trees.

In terms of neighborhoods/attitudes - just to give you a rough idea, a lot of these are generalizations, but might help you get "the lay of the land"

Cary = closest analog would be Southlake, Grapevine, Colleyville

Raleigh = Frisco/Plano/Richardson

McKinney = reminds me of Morrisville

Carrollton = reminds me of Durham

Uptown = Franklin Street

Greenville/M-street = Carrboro

That was kind of a fun exercise. In general, I don't find Dallas that different - it is a far more "efficient" city. The roads and transportation are better, there's a lot more convenient shopping/grocery store/mall options (not just Southpoint and Crabtree).

The downside is that people aren't as nice, and it's not as "sleepy". Homes are (in general) cheaper here than what you would find in the NC area for the equivalent price.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:19 PM

32 posts, read 52,420 times
I think the people in Texas are great! Be specific on what you want...schools, price range, home sizes, commutes, etc and then we can help you pick the perfect suburb! (there are so many to choose from)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas