Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,015 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide between building a patio home with Ryland Homes and purchasing a lot and having Outback Custom homes build me something. Does anyone have any feedback on either of these builders? The Ryland community is in Plano at Legacy and Custer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 08:42 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Outback homes....??

Throw another shrimp on the barbie ?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,287 times
I've never heard of outback (homes that is)

Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,706 times
I know this may be a little after the fact, but we purchased our Outback Custom Home a little over a year ago. The house is great so far, but their customer service is horrible. We've tried to contact them to have warranty work repaired and they have the tendency of just blowing you off. Many of my fellow neighbors also agree to this.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 36,400 times
google ryland homes and good luck with them!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,446 times
Outback Homes.... what a joke.

You'll file issues prior to closing... issues still aren't fixed after closing and move in... they have all the paperwork showing the needed fixes.

Fight with them an entire year.... they give you the "contractors" phone numbers, and they claim "no hablo ingles".

The only two people that speak english are the owners.

Horrible horrible customer service.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 AM

12 posts, read 36,400 times
ryland homes....my nightmare continues, they are put together with caulk and spit i believe.....surface pretty, saying poorly built would be a compliment.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Funny - it seems that every national builder has haters. Ryland has some really good communities here in San Antonio and some really bad ones. The difference in San Antonio is tied directly to the part of town and related soil conditions they were built on. Sadly Ryland, like Pulte, KB and Centex here in San Antonio builds the same kind of foundation no matter what part of town your house is constructed in. This hurts their reputation as it is always the 80/20 effect....80% are happy and have nothing to say while 20% are unhappy and are very vocal. For Ryland in San Antonio they have documented that they have had structural problems with about 5% of their homes - but the way the protest and news articles run you would think it was more like 95% of the buyers have had problems. I suspect that the same could be said of Pulte, KB, Centex and other national builders. The vocal minority works hard to ruin the reputation of what are probably average builders.

But the most important thing to check prior to building or buying is the soil conditions. Here in San Antonio - you want to avoid the clay because of the significant expansion and contraction during wet and dry seasons. This can wreck havoc on even the best built house. Have a soil sample done and don't take the builders word for it.

Because of the soil issue my wife and I are going to pay a premium to buy in a part of town where they actually have to truck in the topsoil because it is all rock. So the builder pours the slab right on the hill country rock and then trucks in the top soil after the house is finished. in the Stone Oak area of SA (where we are looking) they have significantly less foundation problems than on the east and west side of town that has more clay - and this is for all builders.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 9,446 times
Outback seems to have jumped ship in Princeton, Texas.

All their former homes now say Creekview Builders in front of them.
They list a Gale as a contact... I think this is the same woman that worked for Outback.

Either way.... stay far away.

They never fixed anything while they were named Outback, and now since names have changed I can almost guarantee they are going to hide away.

To make matters worse, I am receiving letters saying that I am part of a HOA. It's strange, because I am the only person on my block receiving the notifications.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM

424 posts, read 1,816,564 times
Default Stay away from Ryland

I just have to put my Two cents in about Ryland. I don't know you, but care enough about you to warn you to RUN AWAY...FAR AWAY...AND VERY QUICKLY FROM RYLAND

I don't know much about Outback homes, but I can tell you a lot about Ryland. Absolutely do not ever even think about Ryland. I have spread the word to my friends. We are currently renting a new Ryland townhome. Every time it rains, it comes in the house because they never sealed the foundation. Our floor is wavy, the carpet is ruined by the walls, the patio is not level so the water pools by the foundation. The 4th week we moved in, the house flooded from the sprinkler system on down because the builders had pounded a spike in the PVC piping which was causing water to leak from the bottom of the toilet when we ran the washing machine. We now have bugs in our house because the doors are not square with the walls. We have huge gaps between the doors and walls and are paying about 500.00 a month to heat/cool a 1495 sq ft home! The wind can actually put out a match inside your house when everything is locked up. We had to shrink wrap the walls to keep it a little warmer, but I dont' think they used any insulation in the home. Our driveway has cracks in it and the upstairs have waves under the carpet which is the floor. We have cracks in the walls already. The outside is brick/stucco. I can actually take my nail and scratch the stucco and morter away with little effort. They did not complete a lot of the outside detailing and it looks really bad if you have even a poor eye for detail.

All this and the house is only about 7 months old. They have fixed a few things, but they can't really fix a lot of the foundation issues and the actual construction. (They could, but won't) Also, We have very cheap, single pane windows which are also very cold. I don't ever forsee them fixing any of these issues. What do we care, we will be buying in the near future. My realtor has warned his collegues about these builders as well.

I have a saying, "Friends don't let friends buy Ryland"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas