Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM

26 posts, read 28,677 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a walkable or semi-walkable neighborhood for a family.

I know people are going to say Oak Cliff and Bishop Arts but I'm not convinced that is suitable for families with a 9 year old. I am not limited to Dallas proper.

I also said "semi-walkable" in that I would accept a place with some acceptable walkibility. What that means and how to quantify it I don't know. I just didn't want to limit the conversation.

I would even accept a place in a suburb being retrofitted or moving toward walkibility because of revitalization. I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks. -J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 03:13 PM

111 posts, read 146,879 times
You can find some info about walkable areas in my previous thread=> //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...e-bit-nyc.html

And I just found this today=> Dallas Neighborhoods - Best Places to Live, Things to Do and Restaurants in Dallas Neighborhoods Mayhelp with your research.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
If you need public schools, these are my suggestions:

If you have the budget, many parts of the Park Cities are very walkable. You could live near Snider Plaza, Preston Center, Knox Street, or HP Village. Many kids walk to school in the elementary grades, too.

My next choice would be Lakewood with a home search focused near Lakewood Village or in the M Streets near Lower Greenville (nightlife isn't exactly kid friendly).

Bishop Arts/ North Oak Cliff is actually a good suggestion because Rosemont is a great school and goes to 8th grade. There are a lot of young families moving in each year because of Rosemont.

If you can do private schools, you could also look in Devonshire or Greenway Parks which is super walkable to all the West Lovers shops, restaurants, Inwood theatre, etc. Or near Preston & Royal.

Then

Old 01-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnyc View Post
I appreciate the reply but it really isn't what I am looking for. A lot of that thread is people telling you they hate NYC. A lot of the rest is people name dropping neighborhoods.

BTW, NYC is not the be all and end all of walkibility. It is one version of it but a unique version.

My question was about a neighborhood that is walkable or semi-walkable for a family. I was looking for a more personal response from personal experience. Thanks. -J

Old 01-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Then...
That's helpful. Probably out of my budget but helpful nonetheless.

Did you get cut off? -J

Old 01-08-2016, 04:02 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesYaya View Post
That's helpful. Probably out of my budget but helpful nonetheless.

Did you get cut off? -J
Sorry, meant to say, if you can do privates THEN look at those.

What is your budget? Knowing that will allow us to not be shooting in the dark for nothing.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:30 PM

Probably 300k. I may be underestimating our capabilities. Maybe as much as 400k. We are not size snobs. We can live in under 2000 sq ft too.

In actuality I kind of want to read the answers irrespective of budget so I can get an idea of the possibilities in the area.

I'd really be interested to see I'd any suburbs have gotten far enough to have areas considered semi walkable. How is the area nearby downtown Plano doing?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Junius Heights is quite walkable up to Lakewood Shopping Center and Whole Foods. Neighborhood elem is Lipscomb which gets nice support from the area. My son went to Lipscomb from K-3 and did well.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:43 AM

574 posts, read 1,477,966 times
Love the walkability factor in University Park. We live a few blocks from Snider Plaza. We can walk to: get groceries, grab a cup of coffee, go to the dentist or chiropractor, go to a variety of restaurants, two parks. I have seen people walking from our street to SMU for football games. Kids in the area bike to UP Elementary and surprisingly many bike to the middle school. People are always out and about walking or running or biking.

I also work near Preston Center and often see people who live around there walking to school, grocery store, shops, restaurants.

My favorite thing about UP.

There are many people who rent in UP or purchase condos on some of the streets off of Snider Plaza. Check out Hursey, Milton, Rakin, Rosedale streets off of Dickens.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Valley Ranch in zip code 75063. Seems like its a target for distain to suggest anything burb here. But Valley Ranch has some walkability to some shops, bike rides are easy to many local shops and restaurants, and there is a great trail link to the Campion Trail which goes south down to Lake Caroline or slightly north to some great parks; and lots of families walking together on the canal trails. In general, homes on the west side of MacArthur are in Coppell school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas