Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:59 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,600 times

Advertisements

It's been mentioned before, usually in newspaper articles, particularly in the Houston area moreso than Dallas. I was just including Tyler and Sherman as a figment of my imagination since I agree it's ludicrous to include Beaumont.

Course I probably won't do much more in this thread lest it become another Houston vs. Dallas debate, I was just countering his info, and even using an outlandish population sample you still couldn't get to 11m unless you were to include that nw suburb of Austin lol, and San Antonio on the westside, believe that is more than a tad west of beltway 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 PM

320 posts, read 297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Hmmm, thats just false, check the census numbers. Houston is much more developed simply because there is one city center, Dallas has several Polar points for business attraction. Businesses here are divided between FW and Dallas as well as Collin County. By and large, the large commercial interests that would build up are located in a smaller area in Houston, Downtown to the Galleria area over to the Texas Medical Center. The Woodlands area is starting to develop but not as extensively as North Plano/Dallas North Tollway/Telecom corridor areas.
According to the 2000 census, the 11-county Houston metro is:

City of Houston 1,953,631
Austin County 23,590
Brazoria County 241,767
Chambers County 26,301
Fort Bend County 354,452
Galveston County 250,158
Harris County 3,400,578
Liberty County 70,154
Montgomery County 293,768
San Jacinto County 22,246
Waller County 32,663

Sorry, I added something else earlier (I have a list of stats and I think I double added some populations). The pop. is about 5,600,000. Considering the population increases per county in the Houston metro, that number can expect to be around 6,000,000 in 2006.

Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day when Dallas would outgrow Houston! I'm horribly biased toward Houston. I also find it hard to believe Dallas is turning heavily "leftist" or Democratic by large margins. Can't argue with documented numbers, though.

Nevertheless, Houston still remains better in the housing and economic sector, but even that may change if Dallas keeps pace.

I'm moving to Austin. :-P

Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Course I probably won't do much more in this thread lest it become another Houston vs. Dallas debate, I was just countering his info, and even using an outlandish population sample you still couldn't get to 11m unless you were to include that nw suburb of Austin lol, and San Antonio on the westside, believe that is more than a tad west of beltway 8.

Dallas vs. Houston debate, eh?

I think both cities are great, each has pros and cons, each has something better (and worse) than the other. I would have a tough decision choosing Dallas over Houston, the same could be said about choosing Houston over Dallas. I enjoy the metroplex region and intend to finish college in the area. But if the traffic doesn't improve, I'm heading back to Houston or testing the waters in Austin (good opportunity for land investment in Austin).

That said, when it comes down to it, I like Houston more because Dallas feels too country for me. Austin is great because of the "live and let live" attitude.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:18 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,600 times
I pretty much agree, they do both have plusses and negatives you have to balance, for instance I love North Houston/The Woodlands with all the pine trees and the wonderful museum district downtown in Hermann Park with all of the nice fountains. Grew up around Houston, I just went the opposite way and kind of favor Dallas.

Good luck in Austin, thats a great city as well. I just read the comment about the traffic improving, and that from a Houstonite, also, be sure and travel I35 in austin during rush hour.

Last edited by DFWMike; 07-30-2007 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Dallas is 'too country' for you? I think Dallas people are much more polished overall and even though I like country accents, you don't really hear them here much. Also country music and southern rock (which I like sometimes) are not nearly as popular as in Houston.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas is 'too country' for you? I think Dallas people are much more polished overall and even though I like country accents, you don't really hear them here much. Also country music and southern rock (which I like sometimes) are not nearly as popular as in Houston.
I'm referring to the visual aspect. There are too many undeveloped areas in Dallas and too many farmlands. I like an urban setting with too much development, I guess you could say. That's me, though (I wasn't talking about the accents or music).

Plus, what is Dallas going to do to handle the projected population increase in the future? I hear East Texas is giving a hell of a fight to block access to the Neches River (unless it already happened?).

I hope you weren't trying to get an attitude with me about my comments regarding Dallas. People like different things, and telling me why Dallas is "better" won't change my biased opinion about Houston. Like I said, both cities are great, but Houston is more "my thing."

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM

I'm wondering where the farmland is in Dallas. I haven't seen any of that in the city since the early 1960s.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm wondering where the farmland is in Dallas. I haven't seen any of that in the city since the early 1960s.
Mesquite, anyone? Denton? North Collins?

I can see you're on here to start an argument. No need to counter what I say about Dallas. You must have resentment toward something.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
Mesquite, anyone? Denton? North Collins?

I can see you're on here to start an argument. No need to counter what I say about Dallas. You must have resentment toward something.
BTW, I also think Dallas has too many open spaces and not enough freeway access. The roads are terrible.

And yes, to me that IS country.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Oh I guess you are talking about the suburbs -- sorry, I thought you were talking about Dallas (which is my hometown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas