Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 78,643 times

Advertisements

Or not? I saw pictures posted on this forum that were great and reminds me of Leander where I currently am. But the folks buying my home here indicated that a few years back - Garland wasn't a good place...

I don't want to land in a place that is not going to give me good resalability later...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
Garland seems to be on a comeback with all the new development around the Firewheel area.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,060 times
Garland's 57sq miles. That's plenty of room for nice and not so nice areas. Stay away from the not so nice areas and you will be fine. Momof2DFW lives there, and is a great resource.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM

25 posts, read 86,499 times
Default flower Mound is best

Go to Flower Mound. It has cited as one of the top places to live in the U.S. through several sources. The schools are good and the area isdeveloping rapidly yet smartly. I had two offers on my house the week we listed it. Unfortunately, we blew it or should I say the realtors blew it, but it's a great place to live with lots of things going for it.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,122 times
I have lived in Garland for 13 years and the city has made so much progress recently. Highway 190, and a good city council have made a world of difference. There is of course Firewheel Mall, the mall has in turn spurred more growth around it. The Bass Pro Shop and the adjoining development is helping the cities southern sector. There are two new housing developments currently going up along 190 as well.

East Garland is the cities bad part. The area along Dairy Road, and anything around intersection of Miller and First street. The houses are run down, its a very low income area. Just a general lack of people taking pride in where they live. There are gangs in that area, but its mostly bored teenagers rather then violent thugs.

The homes near Downtown Garland are what Momof2 posted. Many older homes, but they are well maintained, good people in the area. I lived in that part of Garland for seven years and loved it. The neighbors were all nice, and we all knew each other.

The problems that Garland has are concentrated to small areas. The city has taken measures to deal with these areas. For example there used to be a large apartment complex in south Garland called the Village of Eastgate. It was almost all section 8, the complex was run down, and was a cesspool for criminals. the city purchased it from HUD, slowly evicted the residents and tore the entire complex down. I really have to commend the city for taking such a measure.

Over the last 20-25 years the metroplex has been growing out further and further. It can only grow so far before it becomes to much, and I think that point is now. Richardson is on the verge as well.

As far as something with good resale potential I would say the 190 corridor. It's just starting to take off, but in a few years its gonna be crazy.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I've lived in Garland for 15 years in the 190 corridor and have no problems w/ pretty much the entire city. It is a LARGE city and with all large cities you are going to have pockets of "bad" areas. I can take you to every suburb around and show you "bad" areas so no one area is totally immune from it. Just in those areas they like to think it does not exist and never venture there. Whereas in a city like Garland where you have MANY residents that work or own businesses w/in the city and a open choice school system w/ magnet schools your going to find more people that know about the entire city. I have a child in the magnet program and she has friends from all walks of life that live all over the entire city. Not all of south or east Garland is bad either. There are some LOVELY areas there too. It is possible to find a home in those areas that may be across from a creek or nature perserve or backs to one and have a large lot and very involved neighbors. Then your going to have the neighborhoods that were built post WWII just like in the rest of the burbs. Some are better kept up than others and you will know when you drive thru them. Surprisingly some of these very old neighborhoods of pre-WWII homes are VERY well kept and their appreciation rates in value have gone up nicely but w/o pricing the older residents out of their homes. Many of these places have active neighborhood organizations that help keep the area kept up and neighbors involved. Many of the older shopping centers in Garland are undergoing revitalization projects. The old Eastgate complex is one such. The city was VERY active in getting a handle on that and when it started slipping downhill they started in and bought the property from HUD and there were hardly any residents of the city that were against it which is a good thing.

The mall is really nice and a very popular place. I'm happy to have all of this development close by but even so it is amazing how it still is not "congested" feeling like in some other areas of the metroplex. We still have a lot of "green space" that will never be developed as it is either a nature preserve or a family owned farm so that helps cut down on the congestion or lack of. If you want to get a good idea of a nice cross section of the city then go visit LifeTime Fitness on N. Garland Ave and the SuperTarget there. This is where you will find TONS of people that live in the city. I don't go by what is happening at the walmarts as they attract people from ALL OVER! Target is where you go and bump into lots of people you know. Garland is one of those cities that is large but feels like a small town. People readily accept you as one of their own and treat you like a hometown person and as if they have known you forever. It is one of those places were the kids grew up, went off to college and graduated, married their high school sweetheart and moved back to their hometown to start and raise their own family and for many start a business or take over the family business.

As for it reminding you of Leander............ WOW!!!!!!!!! Guess I never even would have compared the two. Thank you.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:47 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,731 times
that's a gross generalization about East Garland. There are plenty of people with well maintained homes there.

Garland is still the same place its always been. It has always had low crime. Lots of industrial jobs, decent to good schools(like 95% of the metroplex) and a hot new area. The new area has just shifted to 190. At one time it was Oak Ridge. At one time it was the Lakeview area and areas south of I-30. At one time it was the Eastern Hills Country Club area. Don't see what's so different. Anyone wanting to move there would be just as fine as they would be in any other suburb.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,609 times
I enjoy reading everything there is to know about Garland. I am hoping my home sells soon so I can get out there and look at some homes. We would be tremedously closer to my husbands work and he would be able to take on a more active role in the kids education and after school activities. Were just praying here.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 78,643 times
Default Thanks..

Well our home here in Leander has sold so now we have to find somethin pretty quick. So time to dig in and find one..

Thank you all for the Garland feedback!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM

313 posts, read 1,716,357 times
I've only been there once, but I have heard it called "The Ghetto" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas